Have you ever communicated something to someone and later felt like you had wasted your breath?
Have you ever delegated something only to find later that the work didn't meet your expectations?
Have you ever experienced a communication breakdown that resulted in lost time, money or energy?
Have you ever found yourself saying...
"This is more difficult than it needs to be."
"They're not hearing what I'm telling them."
"No matter how many times I say it, I just can't get through to her."
"We're just not connecting well."
"I have no idea what he wants."
Effective Communication is Your Ticket to Long-Term Success (Professionally & Personally)!
Communication is the lifeblood to our personal and professional success. On average, we spend about 70% of our day communicating. And yet, it's one of the skills with which we have the most difficulty.
It's difficult - yet extraordinarily important. Perhaps the single skill most correlated with career and professional success is the ability to communicate effectively.
After all, can you think of a single example of a person with long term professional success that isn't a great communicator?
Simply put, communication is a two-way process: message sent and message received. But as you know, it's not that simple. We've all experienced communication breakdowns and frustration when the messages we're sharing are not being received the way we intend.
Because we weren't taught to communicate in a way that produces results.
When we learn the skills of results-oriented communication it changes everything about our results, our productivity and even reduces our stress level.
Beyond that, your ability to communicate effectively in ways that persuade and influences others directly impacts the quality of your relationships. Because we all communicate, listen and process information differently, it is absolutely essential to have a solid understanding of how different communication behaviors, techniques, tactics, and styles affect your relationships and ultimately your communication effectiveness. When you build this solid foundation, you will truly begin to experience results-oriented communication.
And that's exactly why we created the Communicating for Results workshop - to help you understand communication behaviors and styles so that you can identify them, and then use them to communicate meaningfully and more effectively.
Developed by communication experts, Carl Smith and Guy Harris, Communicating for Results starts by defining the different communication styles. With this knowledge, you'll learn strategies for leveraging this knowledge in all of your communications and interactions with others. You'll learn how each style influences behavior and communication, and how you can use this information for more meaningful communications.
In just 2 days, you'll learn:
- Where It All Starts: Becoming a great communicator - what does it mean and what does it take?
- DISC and Communication Styles De-Coded: How to identify and understand the different communication styles - and then how to apply communication principles to better communicate with people who have different styles.
- The Role of Emotion: The impact of emotion and how you can use it to become a better communicator. Yes emotion matters and here you will learn how and why emotion can create better communication results.
- Developing Influence and Persuasion Power: How credibility and trust impact the way others respond to your communication and how you can use it to ensure understanding and create results.
- The Value of Silence: Learn how to identify your own personal barriers to listening and then build a listening improvement plan that truly impacts effective work relationships.
- Effective Communication in Writing: Learn the difference between electronic written messages and paper written messages and how to write emails that get read and get results.
Tailor Your Communication to Get the Results You Need
You see, technical expertise isn't enough.
No matter how skilled or knowledgeable you are, without the ability to communicate, you will not be effective. How you relate to others and communicate directly impacts your performance and sets the tone for success (or failure as the case may be.)
With the communication strategies you'll learn in Communicating for Results, you'll learn how to tailor your communication to different people in different situations to consistently produce the results you want with every conversation.
We've helped thousands of people in hundreds of organizations like yours break down barriers and start communicating for success - and with less stress and more success. With this vital training, these individuals have been able to garner the respect they deserve, build the relationships they want and get the results they need.
Becoming a great communicator - What does it mean and what does it take?
- Learn how Perception Filters Affect How Others Understand what you have to say
- Discover the 3 critical factors that determine how others receive your message
- Understanding the nonverbal messages you send and how they are received by others
- Learn the 5 steps you can take to maximize your communication effectiveness
- How to choose the right medium for your communication
- Identify the critical difference between face-to-face and phone communication you must consider to communicate effectively on the phone
- The biggest mistake many busy people make when communicating and how you can avoid it
- Why it is dangerous to generalize communication techniques and what you should do instead
- How you can rise above the noise in your receivers world using Intentional Communication strategies
- Learn the difference between passing information on and effectively communicating
Understanding Different Communication Styles
- Identify the ways that different communication styles impact both results and relationships
- Learn to recognize other communication styles
- Apply adaptive communication principles to communicate with people who have different styles so that they hear you, understand you, and take action
Understand the emotional barriers to successful communication and how you can overcome them
- Learn to recognize the signs of stress for each style that hinder effective communication
- 5 ways to communicate more effectively - even when stressed!
- Identify your personal hot-buttons and ways that you can keep them in check
- Understand other people's hot-buttons and how you can avoid triggering them
- What to do when the other person already has their buttons pushed - communicating with someone who is angry
Reviewing Day 1 and Setting Up Day 2
Developing Influence and Persuasion Power with Diplomacy, Credibility and Trust
- Identify the barriers to influence and how you can overcome them
- Understand what it takes to persuade someone to take action
- Use the power of unqualified respect to bridge differences, ensure understanding, and create results
- Learn the 4 components of trust, how they affect your influence, and how to build them into your communication strategies
- Understand the two different ways that people view trust and how this difference impacts the way they respond to your requests
- 6 ways to make your communication more powerful, persuasive and memorable
- Understanding the critical difference between influence and manipulation and how it affects communication effectiveness
- Learn how to communicate with others in ways that move them to action
- How you can use Communication Loops for clarity, understanding and effectiveness
- Learn the 2 questions you can use to make sure you understand and are understood
Listening...A Key Component of Communication
- Why listening is an essential component of effective communication
- Develop mutual respect and understanding through better listening skills
- Understand the biggest listening barriers you face and their impact on effective work relationships
- Identify your personal barriers to effective listening and learn to overcome them
- Learn strategies for overcoming other people's listening barriers so that you can get your message heard and acted on
Effective communication in writing
- Learn the differences between written communication and spoken communication that you must consider to successfully communicate in writing
- Understand the difference between reading on paper and reading on electronic screens that you must consider when communicating by email
- How to adjust the way you write to fit how people read different forms of writing.
- How to craft emails that get read, understood, and acted on
- Learn the clues to look for so that you know when to shift away from email to make your communications more effective