Employee Gifts And Fringe Benefits: Tax Consequences And Reporting Obligations
|Date / Time:
While competitive salaries often attract top employees to join an employer, employers often provide competitive and attractive prizes, bonuses, awards and other benefits to boost their employees' morale and reward employees for going the extra mile.
However, employers must be aware of federal tax laws when providing these benefits, or else employers may find that these benefits are more expensive than they originally thought.
This webinar will help you learn the different ways that employees may be rewarded for exceptional performance, without incurring additional tax expense, or at least avoiding penalties. Important reporting and withholding requirements to ensure that employers fully comply with their federal tax obligations will also be discussed.
Gifts to Employees
Prizes and Awards
- Definition of Income in Section 61
- Commissioner v. Duberstein
- Section 102 Prohibition on Income Exclusion for Gifts to Employees
- Exception for Gifts to Employees That Are "Natural Objects of Employer's Bounty"
- De Minimis Fringe Benefits
- Working Condition Fringe Benefits
- Cell Phones and Other "Mixed Use" Technology Items
- Holiday Parties
- Employee Achievement Awards
- Prizes and Awards Transferred to Charities
- Qualified Employee Discounts
- Holiday Gifts
- Educational Assistance Plans
- Working Condition Fringe Benefits for Job Related Expenses
- Qualified Scholarships
- Qualified Tuition Reduction
- Seminars and Other Training Involving Travel
Meals and Lodging
- Employer Provided Vehicles
- Transportation Fringe Benefits
- Parking Expenses
- Use of Aircraft
- Occasional Meals
- Meals Provided for the Employer's Convenience
- Lodging Provided for Employer's Convenience
Withholding, Reporting and Deduction Issues
- Section 83 and Elections Under Section 83(b) for Transfers of Property
- Compliance With Section 409A
About The Presenters
- Reportable Items on Forms W-2
- Withholding Rules Applicable to Supplemental Wages
- Withholding on Non-Cash Benefits
- Limitations on Deductions for Certain Benefits to Employees
Luke D. Bailey
- Partner in Dallas office of Strasburger & Price, LLP
- Practices in areas of of IRC §§401(a) qualified plans of for-profit business, and, 403(b), 457(b) and (f), and 415(m) plans of schools, state and local governments, universities, and charities
- Has handled a large number of cases under the IRS's program for rehabilitating delinquent qualified retirement plans ("EPCRS," "VCP," and "Cap")
- Admitted, Texas
- Member, National Association of Public Pension Attorneys, American Bar Association Tax Section, and Texas Bar Association
- D Magazine List of Best Lawyers in Dallas, 2011, 2013
- Named among The Best Lawyers in America®, (Copyright 2012 by Woodward/White, Inc., of Aiken, SC), 2013-2014
- J.D. degree, Order of the Coif, University of California at Berkeley (Boalt Hall); B.A. and A.B., cum laude, degrees, Occidental College
- Associate in the San Antonio office of Strasburger & Price, LLP
- Practice emphasizes all aspects of federal tax controversy and employee benefits planning
- Conducts regular seminar and workshops on federal tax issues including employment tax and employee benefits planning
- Before joining Strasburger & Price, worked as an attorney in the Employment Tax Branch of the National Office of the Office of Chief Counsel, Internal Revenue Service
- J.D. degree, cum laude, Southern Methodist University; LL.M. degree, with distinction, Georgetown University Law Center; B.A. degree, magna cum laude, University of Dallas
Cannot Attend The Live Presentation?
This presentation is also available in a recorded format, in CD version, as shown in the pricing options below.
|About Webcasts / Audio Conferences / Podcasts:|
Webcasts, audio conferences, and podcasts are presentations that you
attend via the Internet, phone, or mobile device at a specified date and time for "live" versions, or at your convenience for "recorded" and "On-Demand" versions.
versions are interactive, meaning that participants can ask questions in real time, plus are a very cost-effective form of training because 1) you receive fast, convenient learning without
any out-of-office time; 2) you can invite as many colleagues as you'd like to listen in on a single phone line; 3) you incur no travel expenses; and 4) you and your colleagues are back
at work immediately after the session ends!
And though with recorded versions you do lose the ability to ask questions, you gain the ability to hear the presentation numerous
times and to share it with others in your office.
Handout materials and the phone number for live presentations are made available to you prior to the event via email from the
presenter and from the "MyAccount" link on the menu bar. Copies of the presentations are included with recorded versions.
|About The Provider:
||Lorman Education Services has provided educational seminars and online training for professionals since 1987.
Since then, we've kept thousands of professionals in the United States and internationally current on the most pressing topics in a rapidly changing marketplace of ideas. Like you, we understand the need for concise, accurate information.
That understanding underlies each Lorman course, presenting the latest information on the laws and regulations critical to your organization's successful daily operations.
Moreover, each course receives our painstaking attention to be certain both the faculty and participants receive the individual attention necessary to achieve maximum benefit from the materials.
||Contact Us For More Information
||Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Serious Complaint or Employee Drama?
How To Stop Toxic Employees From Side-Tracking Your Company
Guidelines For Taxing Gifts, Awards, &Other Fringe Benefits
How To Supervise Employees Who Don′t Get Along
Certificate Program For HR Generalists
Workers′ Comp 101: The Whats, Whens, And Whys
Agile Basics For HR
Motivate Or Terminate
Internal Investigations Certificate Program
Advanced Internal Investigations Certificate Program
Payroll Records: What To Keep, What To Toss
How To Coach Up Or Counsel Out Problem Employees
Certificate Program In FMLA &ADA Compliance
Strategic HR Leadership Certificate Program
Certificate In Essentials Of Human Resource Management Seminar
Certificate In Employee Relations Law Seminar