PTO In California: Critical Strategies For Correctly Calculating And Managing Paid Leave Banks
|Date / Time:
PTO plans are often touted as a simpler alternative to traditional time off banks, but California presents unique challenges for employers.
Managing and tracking unexpected time off can be tricky, especially when dealing with partial-day absences for exempt employees. And you can forget about “use it or lose it” policies, which are illegal in the Golden State.
In order to avoid legal consequences, read: a costly class-action lawsuit, you will need to understand how PTO interacts with California’s paid sick leave law.
Join us when our presenter, an experienced California employment attorney, explains the unique legal challenges that accompany PTO administration here in California, and how you can ensure you stay on the right side of both the state labor code and the federal Fair Labor Standards Act.
About Your Presenter
- What an effective, compliant PTO policy looks like in California, and how it differs from the traditional vacation day/sick day structure
- How to handle partial-day deductions from the leave bank, and how to account for time off that’s not tracked in easily measurable days
- The kinds of notice you need to give to exempt workers before requiring them to use accrued PTO during furloughs
- Alternatives to “use it or lose it” policies
- Do's and don’ts for administering PTO days that carry over from year to year
- Tactics for combining PTO leave with protected leave under the Family and Medical Leave Act and the California Family Rights Act
- The top things you need to know before changing PTO accrual rates
- Smart strategies to use when employees cash out their unused time
- Why misunderstanding the PTO rules can put employees’ exempt status in jeopardy, and how to avoid this potentially catastrophic mistake
- When PTO time amounts to “wages” under California law
- Best practices for structuring your PTO bank
- How to use caps to your advantage
- What a California appeals court recently ruled about forcing salaried exempt employees to use PTO for partial-day absences, and why an updated written policy is essential
- And much more!
John Lai, Esq.
Fisher & Phillips LLP
John Lai of Fisher & Phillips’ Irvine office practices wage-and-hour litigation, workplace safety compliance and Cal-OSHA defense, FMLA and CFRA leave compliance, handbook policy counseling, and discrimination and harassment claims.
|About Webcasts / Audio Conferences / Podcasts:|
Webcasts, audio conferences, and podcasts are presentations that you
attend via the Internet, phone, or mobile device at a specified date and time for "live" versions, or at your convenience for "recorded" and "On-Demand" versions.
versions are interactive, meaning that participants can ask questions in real time, plus are a very cost-effective form of training because 1) you receive fast, convenient learning without
any out-of-office time; 2) you can invite as many colleagues as you'd like to listen in on a single phone line; 3) you incur no travel expenses; and 4) you and your colleagues are back
at work immediately after the session ends!
And though with recorded versions you do lose the ability to ask questions, you gain the ability to hear the presentation numerous
times and to share it with others in your office.
Handout materials and the phone number for live presentations are made available to you prior to the event via email from the
presenter and from the "MyAccount" link on the menu bar. Copies of the presentations are included with recorded versions.
|Licenses / Designations / Educational Credits:||PHR / SPHR Re-Certification Credits|
All US States: 1.5
|About The Provider:
||BLR® is the leader in helping organizations, and their employees, reduce safety, environmental and employment compliance-related legal exposure, stay on the right side of law, and achieve their full potential. We offer best-in-class compliance product and services that includes news, information & analysis, best practice guidance, employee training and turn-key tools delivered in a wide range of formats from online applications, live events and websites to books, CD's, Video, Posters and newsletters geared to all sized organizations and industries.
||Contact Us For More Information
||Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
|Keywords For This Course:|
PTO, California, California law
How To Properly Complete A Form I-9
Workplace Investigations 101: The Basics For Conducting Workplace Investigations
Certificate Program For HR Generalists
Employee Handbook Updates for 2017: How To Ensure Legal Compliance And Avoid Liability
PTO Plan Or Traditional Vacation And Sick Time? The Pros and Cons Of A Paid-Time-Off Plan
Pre-Employment Screening: Can I Ask That Question?
Agile Basics For HR
Strategic HR Basics: A Practical Approach To Working More Strategically In HR
Internal Investigations Certificate Program
Certificate Program In FMLA &ADA Compliance
Basics Of Affirmative Action Planning
How To Identify And Investigate Claims Of Bullying
How To Change The Perception Of The HR Department
The Essentials Of HR Law
FMLA Training &Certification Program
ADA Training &Certification Program