Rules and Responsibilities Regarding Abandoned Wages
|Date / Time:
Examine the rules and responsibilities regarding abandoned wages. If your payroll department is not handling unclaimed wages properly, you could be placing your company at risk for huge audit assessments, significant interest accumulations, and civil and criminal penalties.
If your company issues any type of employment checks whether it be wages, bonuses, deferred compensation, employee commissions, etc., it is your responsibility to ensure that your company is holding unclaimed wages properly and in accordance with the law.
It is estimated that only 15 to 20 percent of businesses currently comply with unclaimed property laws. However, many companies are not aware of their reporting responsibilities and may just write off unclaimed property. This can cause your company fines for failure to report unclaimed wages.
Payroll Department Responsibilities
When Wages Are Considered Abandoned
- Written Procedure on Handling Outstanding and Unclaimed Checks
- Proper Controls and Procedures to Safeguard Unclaimed Checks
- When an Item Becomes Reportable
- How to Handle Uncashed Employee Checks
- Proper W-2 Reports
- Outside Firm Handling Payroll
- Processes for Reporting and Remitting to Each Necessary State
- How to Avoid Common Errors
About The Presenter
- Information and Documentation Needed to Survive an Audit
- Consequences of Inadequate Documentation
- Correcting Audit Assessments
Jackie A. Sexson
- Compliance manager with Fortune 300 company
- Former executive director with the legal and human resources consulting firm, The Sexson Group
- Extensive experience in employment and labor law, as well as human resources
- Has a legal and HR background in employee relations, performance management (360-degree feedback), organizational management, benefits administration, recruitment and selection, compensation, equal employment opportunity, and training and development
- Experience with the public sector, Fortune 500 companies and small startup companies
- Held director and executive level positions, and worked as an independent consultant
- Certified as a senior professional in human resources by the Society for Human Resources Management
- J.D. and M.B.A. degrees
Cannot Attend The Live Presentation?
This presentation is also available in a recorded format, in CD version, as shown in the pricing options below.
|About Webcasts / Audio Conferences / Podcasts:|
Webcasts, audio conferences, and podcasts are presentations that you
attend via the Internet, phone, or mobile device at a specified date and time for "live" versions, or at your convenience for "recorded" and "On-Demand" versions.
versions are interactive, meaning that participants can ask questions in real time, plus are a very cost-effective form of training because 1) you receive fast, convenient learning without
any out-of-office time; 2) you can invite as many colleagues as you'd like to listen in on a single phone line; 3) you incur no travel expenses; and 4) you and your colleagues are back
at work immediately after the session ends!
And though with recorded versions you do lose the ability to ask questions, you gain the ability to hear the presentation numerous
times and to share it with others in your office.
Handout materials and the phone number for live presentations are made available to you prior to the event via email from the
presenter and from the "MyAccount" link on the menu bar. Copies of the presentations are included with recorded versions.
|About The Provider:
||Lorman Education Services has provided educational seminars and online training for professionals since 1987.
Since then, we've kept thousands of professionals in the United States and internationally current on the most pressing topics in a rapidly changing marketplace of ideas. Like you, we understand the need for concise, accurate information.
That understanding underlies each Lorman course, presenting the latest information on the laws and regulations critical to your organization's successful daily operations.
Moreover, each course receives our painstaking attention to be certain both the faculty and participants receive the individual attention necessary to achieve maximum benefit from the materials.
||Contact Us For More Information
||Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Certificate Program For HR Generalists
Rules And Requirements For Employee Expense Reimbursements
Garnishments, Child Support Orders, And Other Levies
How Workers′ Compensation Works (Comprehensive 11-Module Course)
Assertiveness Skills For HR Professionals
Certificate Program In FMLA &ADA Compliance
How To Use PTO To Reduce Absenteeism
Managing Emotions Under Pressure
HRCI / SHRM 60 Hour Re-Certification Training Suite
Internal Investigations Certificate Program
How To Document Your Payroll Procedures
Reasonable Or Unreasonable Accommodation? How To Identify Disabilities And Handle Employee Issues - Without Violating The ADA
Company Ethics: How To Set The Tone As A Leader
SOX Requirements For Payroll
Payroll Records: What To Keep, What To Toss
Strategic HR Leadership Certificate Program