Form I-9: Understanding The Anti-Discrimination Provisions Of The Law
When training staff on how to complete a Form I-9, most employers do not consider the portion of the Employment Eligibility Verification law that prohibits discrimination.
While most employers are aware that the Immigration and Nationality Act (“INA”) requires all employers to complete and retain a Form I-9 for every employee hired, many are unaware thatthe INA also contains provisions which make it unlawful to discriminate during the Form I-9 process.
These discrimination provisions affect:
These requirements are frequently unknown or misunderstood by employers. As a result, many employers inadvertently violate the discrimination aspects of the law and find themselves in the cross hairs of an investigation by the U.S. Department of Justice, Office of Special Counsel (“OSC”).
- Procedures for accepting documents during the Form I-9 process
- Which immigration status questions can be asked of a perspective employee
- The procedures for re-verifying expired documents
- The process for conducting an internal I-9 audit
- How to make corrections to a Form I-9
This audio conference will review the practices which are considered discrimination in the I-9 process under the law, as well as discuss policies and procedures which every business needs to have in place in order to reduce the likelihood of discriminatory I-9 practices.
By attending this training session, you and/or your co-workers will learn:
About Your Speaker:
- The types of discrimination in the Form I-9 process that are prohibited under the Federal regulations
- The guidelines and procedures established by the OSC in order to avoid discrimination in the Form I-9 process
- Policies and Procedures employers should have in place to help eliminate liability in the Form I-9 process
- How an employer can become the subject of an OSC investigation
- What documents are generally requested in an OSC investigation - and what other investigative tools the OSC may use
- The mechanics of an OSC investigation
- Best practices for responding to an OSC Investigation
- Penalties that can be assessed in an OSC Investigation
- Recent case law/settlements from the OSC related to the anti-discrimination provisions of the Employment Eligibility Verification law
- How a business can defend itself if there is an OSC investigation
Patricia A. Bollman is a graduate of Tulane University School of Law. She has practiced primarily in the area of immigration and nationality law, and has taught and trained on employment-based immigration matters and I-9 compliance issues for over 30 years.
Patricia is a member of the American Immigration Lawyers Association and has an AV rating, the highest rating for attorneys, from Martindale Hubbell.
PHR / SPHR Credits!
This program has been approved for 1.5 re-certification credit hours through the HR Certification Institute. For more information about certification or recertification, please visit the HR Certification Institute website at www.hrci.org. The use of this seal is not an endorsement by HRCI of the quality of the program. It means that this program has met HRCI's criteria to be pre-approved for re-certification credit.
|Licenses / Designations / Educational Credits:||PHR / SPHR Re-Certification Credits|
All US States: 1.5
|About The Provider:
||The Industry Calendar creates and sells webinars, audio conferences, and seminars for busy business professionals.
We've done the work of listing the important, don't-miss events in one convenient location so you can quickly and easily view and register for upcoming events. Simply click on a course title or search by specific industry to get started!
||Contact Us For More Information
||Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
|Currently Scheduled Dates For This Webcast|
|Form I-9: Understanding The Anti-Discrimination Provisions Of The Law||CD/On-Demand||$239.00||
Certificate Program For HR Generalists
Rules And Requirements For Employee Expense Reimbursements
Garnishments, Child Support Orders, And Other Levies
How Workers′ Compensation Works (Comprehensive 11-Module Course)
Assertiveness Skills For HR Professionals
Certificate Program In FMLA &ADA Compliance
How To Use PTO To Reduce Absenteeism
Managing Emotions Under Pressure
HRCI / SHRM 60 Hour Re-Certification Training Suite
Internal Investigations Certificate Program
How To Document Your Payroll Procedures
Reasonable Or Unreasonable Accommodation? How To Identify Disabilities And Handle Employee Issues - Without Violating The ADA
Company Ethics: How To Set The Tone As A Leader
SOX Requirements For Payroll
Payroll Records: What To Keep, What To Toss
Strategic HR Leadership Certificate Program