HIPAA: Applying Standards for Securing Electronic Protected Health Information
||Online Training Course
As the healthcare industry rapidly migrates to a paperless future in which individual health information is recorded, maintained, and transmitted electronically, the need to secure that information grows. Because unauthorized access to private health information could have dangerous ramifications for individuals, healthcare professionals, and many businesses, Congress enacted the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) in 1996 with the goal of protecting such information.
One of HIPAA’s main provisions, the Security Rule, outlines the standards for protecting electronic health information that health plans, healthcare clearinghouses, and many healthcare providers are required to follow. As of 2006, all entities that fall under the law’s purview must be in compliance with these standards and their accompanying implementation specifications. Given the harsh penalties for non-compliance, covered entities must take great care to learn the law’s requirements and adhere to them.
This course outlines in detail the various provisions of the HIPAA Security Rule to facilitate the complicated but necessary process of compliance with this far-reaching federal law.
Managers, Supervisors, and Employees of businesses that handle electronic protected health information.
TIME TO COMPLETE
To instruct employees who handle electronic protected health information in following the policies and implementing the practices required by the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) of 1996.
After completing this course, the learner will be able to:
- Explain the history of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) and the reasons for its adoption
- Outline the structure of HIPAA and relate its provisions to other federal regulations
- Define and identify who is considered a covered entity under HIPAA and therefore subject to its regulations
- Define Electronic Protected Health Information (EPHI) and distinguish between what is and what is not EPHI
- Outline the structure of the HIPAA Security Rule
- Define the standards that serve as the goals of the Security Rule
- Distinguish between standards and implementation specifications, as contained in HIPAA
- Define the terms "required" and "addressable" as they apply to HIPAA's implementation specifications
- Define and apply HIPAA's Administrative Safeguards in the management of EPHI
- Apply the principles of risk analysis and risk management in observing HIPAA's Security Rule
- Define and apply HIPAA's Physical Safeguards in the management of EPHI
- Define and apply HIPAA's Technical Safeguards in the management of EPHI
- Define and apply HIPAA's Organizational Requirements in the management of EPHI
- Define and apply HIPAA's Policies and Procedures and Documentation Requirements in the management of EPHI
- Identify the range of penalties for HIPAA violations
- The History of HIPAA’s Enactment and Subsequent Interpretation
- Who Are Covered Entities under HIPAA?
- What Constitutes Electronic Protected Health Information<
- The Structure of the Security Rule
- The Distinctions between Standards and Implementation Specifications
- “Required” v. “Addressable” Implementation Specifications
- Defining and Applying HIPAA’s Administrative, Physical, and Technical Safeguards
- Defining and Applying HIPAA’s Organizational Requirements
- Defining and Applying HIPAA’s Policies and Procedures and Documentation Requirements
- Identifying the Penalties for HIPAA Non-Compliance
- Covered Entity Chart
- Interview and Document Request for HIPAA Security Onsite Investigations and Compliance Reviews
- Security Standards: Matrix
HR CERTIFICATION INSTITUTE
This program has been approved for 4.00 recertification credit hours toward PHR, SPHR, and GPHR recertification through the HR Certification Institute. For more information about certification or recertification, visit the HR Certification Institute homepage at www.hrci.org.
(The use of this seal is not an endorsement by the HR Certification Institute of the quality of this program. It means that this program has met the HR Certification Institute's criteria to be pre-approved for recertification credit.)
THE FLORIDA BAR
The Florida Bar’s Board of Legal Specialization and Education has accredited this course for 5.00 hours of General Continuing Legal Education (CLE) credits. For more information about credit hours, visit The Florida Bar homepage at www.flabar.org.
|Licenses / Designations / Educational Credits:||HRCI|
All US States: 4
All Canadian Provinces: 4
|About The Provider:
||Founded in 1997 by a group of risk management, insurance, and human resources professionals, The Human Equation offers knowledge, training, coaching, and research support on human resources and risk management in both traditional and web-based environments.
Our high-quality e-Learning materials deliver real-world and cost-effective instruction that result in improved employee productivity and reduced employer risk.
The Human Equation's mission is to significantly improve business performance for organizations of all sizes by promoting a fundamental awareness of, and learning solutions for, operational and employment risks.
The Human Equation's products and services portfolio includes a variety of learning solutions that include web-based training courses, labor consulting and coaching helplines, a research repository of news, forms, documents and policies, and an Employee Report Line that manages employee grievances.
Each of our courses are legally reviewed, certified by the American Society for Training & Development (ASTD) for excellence in instruction and design, and accredited by The Human Resources Certification Institute (HRCI) for re-certification credit hours toward PHR and SPHR recertification.
|Applicable Discounts:||Required Volume||Discount||Price|
| ||Qty: 10||$3.80||$34.20|
| ||Qty: 25||$5.70||$32.30|
| ||Qty: 50||$7.60||$30.40|
| ||Qty: 100||$9.50||$28.50|
| ||Qty: 250||$11.40||$26.60|
| ||Qty: 500||$13.30||$24.70|
| ||Qty: 750||$15.20||$22.80|
||Contact Us For More Information
||Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
|Keywords For This Course:|
HIPAA online training HRCI recertification Applying Standards for Securing Electronic Protected Health Information hippa hipaa compliance hiipa risk cle privacy information security osha
Serious Complaint or Employee Drama?
Guidelines For Taxing Gifts, Awards, &Other Fringe Benefits
How To Supervise Employees Who Don′t Get Along
Certificate Program For HR Generalists
Workers′ Comp 101: The Whats, Whens, And Whys
How To Stop Toxic Employees From Side-Tracking Your Company
Agile Basics For HR
Motivate Or Terminate
Internal Investigations Certificate Program
Advanced Internal Investigations Certificate Program
Payroll Records: What To Keep, What To Toss
How To Coach Up Or Counsel Out Problem Employees
Certificate Program In FMLA &ADA Compliance
Strategic HR Leadership Certificate Program
Certificate In Essentials Of Human Resource Management Seminar
Certificate In Employee Relations Law Seminar