Make your company "sue-proof."
Our top-selling guide, Fire at Will, helps bosses reassert their right to fire incompetent employees—at will. Jam-packed with 60 pages of valuable advice, it shows simple techniques that will give you a concrete legal position in almost any situation.
Table of Contents
1. Your Ultimate Right (and Most Powerful Weapon)
- Your Right to Fire
- Types of Documentation
- At-Will Employment
- Making Your Company 'Sue-Proof'
2. How to Fire a Worker Without Fear of Being Sued
- Wrongful-Discharge Suits on the Rise
- Avoiding Implied Contracts
- Arbitration Agreements
3. What You Don't Have to Tolerate From Unions
- National Labor Relations Act
- Unions Today: A Profile
- More Information About Unions
- Your Rights in a Union-Organizing Campaign
- NLRB Flip-Flops on Weingarten Rights
- Why an Employee Should Not Want a Union
- Your Rights in a Union Situation
4. Your Right to Test Employees for Drugs
- Your Best Defense: Prevention
- Develop a Drug Abuse Policy
- Setting Up a Drug Testing Program
- Tread Cautiously
5. How to Combat and Cure Chronic Absenteeism
- Proactive Steps
- Use Positive Discipline
- Supervisors' Guide to Cutting Absenteeism
- How to Assess the Impact of Absenteeism
6. You Don't Always Have to OK Family Leave
- The FMLA's Impact
- Who's Covered?
- Employer Rights Under the FMLA
- Leave Time
- After FMLA Leave
- Checking for Abuse
7. Don't Discriminate Against Pregnant Workers
- Pregnancy Discrimination Act
- On the Job/Hiring Rules
- Health and Disability Insurance
- Abortion Policies
8. How to Derail Discrimination Charges
- The Long Arm of Title VII
- Sex Discrimination
- Equal Pay Act
- Sexual Harassment
- Age Discrimination
- Your Ultimate Right Still Survives
- How to Avoid Getting Sued
9. How to Stop Employee Crime Dead in Its Tracks
- Don't Be Naive
- Inventory Your Vulnerabilities
- Is Honesty Company Policy?
- Establish Enforceable Controls
- If You Suspect an Employee of Stealing ...
10. Dealing With Workplace Violence
- What's Your Responsibility?
- Beware of Violating the ADA
- Screen Applicants
- Dealing With Violent Employees
- Set Up an Action Plan
- If You Fire the Person ...
11. Dealing With the Rights of the Disabled
- ADA Compliance
- Defining 'Disability'
- Making Reasonable Accommodations
- The Defense of Undue Hardship
- Essential Functions
- Workplace Accommodations
- Penalties for Violations
12. When You Must Give Advance Notice of a Job Loss
- The WARN Act
- Who's Covered?
- 60 Days' Notice Required
- When Is Notice Necessary?
- Exceptions: Unexpected Events
- If Notice Isn't Given ...