Government investigations into I-9 forms skyrocketed in 2011. Immigration &Customs Enforcement (ICE) officials are aggressively pursuing a harsh new worksite strategy focusing on employers.
Administrative I-9 audits are ICE's tool of choice. This year, ICE issue a record number of I-9 audits, a 375% increase from 2008.
Is your organization next?
Strict compliance to the often-confusing I-9 rules is your only defense against serious monetary penalties and even criminal arrests. (A Michigan business owner received a 10-year prison sentence for hiring illegals!)
Too often, company execs and HR managers assume their I-9 compliance practices are in order when, in fact, their records and policies are littered with mistakes, leaving the business and individuals open to fines, lawsuits, and jail time. Are you sure that your I-9 practices can pass muster?
Register now for our timely webinar: I-9 Compliance Workshop: The 10 Commandments of Employee Verification.
You'll be learning from a true immigration law expert and Washington insider. Attorney Kevin Lashus is a former assistant chief counsel at the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement.
Specifically, you will learn:
- I-9 101. Discover the 10 essential steps to correctly fill out an I-9
- Documents. Which documents can you review for Lists A, B and C—and what has changed?
- Copying. Should you make copies of driver's licenses and other supporting documents?
- Review. How far are you required to go to determine if a document is "genuine"?
- Retention. Where must you store I-9s? Is a "binder system" the best? And how long must you retain them … 1 year, 3 years, more
- Disposal. What's the proper way to discard of I-9s—must you shred them
- Reverification. How can you handle reverification in the most legally safe and efficient way possible
- Internal audits. What can be corrected and who should be auditing
- Best practices. What else should you be doing
- Electronic I-9 systems. What to consider when going paperless
The penalties are severe for I-9 violations and the government is no longer negotiating fines of pennies on the dollar. Fines for "substantive" violations can reach $16,000 for each occurrence.
ICE is also focused on building criminal cases out of I-9 audits. In fact, immigration-related work site arrests (including HR professionals!) have skyrocketed more than 1200% in the past five years.
Don't run the risk of your boss (or you!) being led off in handcuffs. Develop solid, audit-proof I-9 practices by joining us Jan. 3 for this important interactive event.
Editorial Director, HR Specialist
P.S. Registration bonus: The first 50 people to register for the webinar will receive Maintaining Your I-9 Forms: Employer Best Practices and the Top 10 Do's and Don'ts. The white paper explains the legally safe steps to complete an I-9, plus tips on document retention, reverification and preventative audits.
P.P.S. Extra Added Bonus! You'll receive one month of Premium Plus Online – our comprehensive electronic information service – FREE. Premium Plus Online features more than 10,000 HR articles, online compliance self-audits, over 100 forms and checklists, plus Ask the Attorney (responses to your employment law questions). So that you continue to benefit from Premium Plus, we'll continue your access automatically for just $99 per quarter, unless you tell us "no, thanks" – your choice.
P.P.P.S. Your satisfaction is unconditionally guaranteed. If I-9 Compliance Workshop: The 10 Commandments of Employee Verification fails to meet your needs, we will instantly refund 100% of your tuition. Your course materials, your free bonus, and your Premium Plus service will be yours to keep. No hassles, no questions asked.
Cannot Attend The Live Presentation?
This presentation is also available in a recorded format, in CD version, as shown in the pricing options below.