Employee Final Pay Rules: HR Rights And Obligations For Successful Separations
|Date / Time:
Whether it's an unexpected resignation or an immediate termination, the clock is ticking on your employee's final paycheck. And if you delay or get it wrong, you could face strict waiting-time penalties or even a wage &hour class action.
At the end of employment, employers may find themselves asking many questions regarding final pay: Is accrued vacation considered part of final pay? Does it matter whether the employment ended voluntarily or involuntarily? Can you withhold the final paycheck until the employee returns company property? Can you deduct from final pay for theft or damages?
The best way to avoid costly errors is have answers these tricky questions and more BEFORE an employment relationship ends. Get up-to-date on your final pay obligations and make a clean break with a departing employee.
Participate in this interactive webinar, and you'll learn:
- When wages must be paid after you terminate an employee or when the employee resigns
- Types of waiting-time penalties and how to avoid them
- How to properly calculate the amount of vacation pay, sick leave pay, and commissions owed upon separation of employment
- Limitations you may face when trying to recover a loan to an employee or money for damage they caused to company property
- How to enforce a reimbursement agreement
- What you should do if the employee claims you still owe him or her money
- What a change in relationship letter should always include
- Severance pay and separation package pointers
- Writing you should draft in support of any severance or separation agreement
- Types of claims you're permitted to release with proper monetary "consideration" and the ones you can never release
- When you should consider contesting a claim for unemployment and when you might consider not responding
- Pre-termination best practices so you can minimize surprises
- Proper documentation of performance, discussions, tardiness, absences, and other issues
- When you should offer the employee a chance to formally resign instead of terminating him
- Effective strategies for conducting productive exit interviews
- The game plan to follow when you've got a problem employee on your hands
- Best practices for designating someone internally to be the point of contact for all former employees
About your Speaker:
Attorney Michelle Lee Flores is a partner in the Los Angeles office of Fisher &Phillips LLP. She focuses her practice on all aspects of employment litigation, including jury and bench trials, arbitration, mediation and pre-litigation negotiations, involving sex, race, religion, age and disability harassment and discrimination, wage and hour violations, including class actions, and wrongful termination.
Cannot Attend The Live Presentation?
This presentation is also available in a recorded format, in CD version, as shown in the pricing options below.
|About Webcasts / Audio Conferences / Podcasts:|
Webcasts, audio conferences, and podcasts are presentations that you
attend via the Internet, phone, or mobile device at a specified date and time for "live" versions, or at your convenience for "recorded" and "On-Demand" versions.
versions are interactive, meaning that participants can ask questions in real time, plus are a very cost-effective form of training because 1) you receive fast, convenient learning without
any out-of-office time; 2) you can invite as many colleagues as you'd like to listen in on a single phone line; 3) you incur no travel expenses; and 4) you and your colleagues are back
at work immediately after the session ends!
And though with recorded versions you do lose the ability to ask questions, you gain the ability to hear the presentation numerous
times and to share it with others in your office.
Handout materials and the phone number for live presentations are made available to you prior to the event via email from the
presenter and from the "MyAccount" link on the menu bar. Copies of the presentations are included with recorded versions.
|Licenses / Designations / Educational Credits:||PHR/SPHR|
All US States: 1.5
|About The Provider:
||BLR® is the leader in helping organizations, and their employees, reduce safety, environmental and employment compliance-related legal exposure, stay on the right side of law, and achieve their full potential. We offer best-in-class compliance product and services that includes news, information & analysis, best practice guidance, employee training and turn-key tools delivered in a wide range of formats from online applications, live events and websites to books, CD's, Video, Posters and newsletters geared to all sized organizations and industries.
||Contact Us For More Information
||Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
The 7 Traits Of A Successful HR Manager
Disability Discrimination And The Interactive Process
Certificate Program For HR Generalists
How To Keep HR From Being The Employee Complaint Department
HR′s Strategic Role In Team Building
21 Tips For Managing Employees Who Work Remotely
Multi-State Payroll Tax Compliance
HR For Beginners
Inclement Weather Pay Policies
Is It FMLA Or The “Friday-Monday Leave Act”? How To Identify And Investigate Employees Who Are Gaming The System
Internal Investigations Certificate Program
Certificate Program In FMLA &ADA Compliance
Curbing Unauthorized Overtime
Retirement Plan Training Courses
Best Practices For Employee Giving Programs
Fundamentals Of An Employee Recognition Program