Pay Practices for Interns And Seasonal Workers: Essentials For Managing Summer Help
|Date / Time:
With summer quickly approaching, you may already be planning internships, and employers in the agricultural and leisure sectors are gearing up to hire temporary seasonal workers.
With so many variations, including both paid and unpaid opportunities, as well as apprenticeships and co-op learning, you run the risk of violating a number of laws if you're not up-to-date on the latest regulation of internship classification. The Fair Labor Standards Act has specific rules that govern both internships and seasonal positions, which can trip up even the best-intentioned HR manager.
It's crucial for you to classify your interns correctly so you can shield your organization from costly legal entanglements.
Participate in this interactive webinar, and you'll learn:
- Criteria you must meet to justify an unpaid internship under FLSA
- The ins and outs of offering academic credit or other benefits instead of or in addition to pay
- Terms and conditions you should include in any written or unwritten agreement regarding internships
- Types of workers' compensation or other insurance coverage that you should consider
- How unemployment insurance could come into play
- Topics you should discuss with schools when setting up internship programs
- The differences between internships and apprenticeships/co-op learning
- Pros and cons of structuring an internship to lead into full employment
- Whether it's permissible to bring on a non-student as an intern
- Wage and hour basics for paying seasonal or temporary employees
- Meal period and rest break protections seasonal/temporary employees and interns are entitled to under federal law
- The legal pitfalls you must recognize to avoid making compensation and benefits decisions regarding seasonal and temporary employees
- And more...
In just 90 minutes, you'll learn how to get the most out of your internships while avoiding costly legal entanglements. Register now for this timely event risk-free.
Cannot Attend The Live Presentation?
This presentation is also available in a recorded format, in CD version, as shown in the pricing options below.
|About Webcasts / Audio Conferences / Podcasts:|
Webcasts, audio conferences, and podcasts are presentations that you
attend via the Internet, phone, or mobile device at a specified date and time for "live" versions, or at your convenience for "recorded" and "On-Demand" versions.
versions are interactive, meaning that participants can ask questions in real time, plus are a very cost-effective form of training because 1) you receive fast, convenient learning without
any out-of-office time; 2) you can invite as many colleagues as you'd like to listen in on a single phone line; 3) you incur no travel expenses; and 4) you and your colleagues are back
at work immediately after the session ends!
And though with recorded versions you do lose the ability to ask questions, you gain the ability to hear the presentation numerous
times and to share it with others in your office.
Handout materials and the phone number for live presentations are made available to you prior to the event via email from the
presenter and from the "MyAccount" link on the menu bar. Copies of the presentations are included with recorded versions.
|Licenses / Designations / Educational Credits:||PHR/SPHR|
All US States: 1.5
|About The Provider:
||BLR® is the leader in helping organizations, and their employees, reduce safety, environmental and employment compliance-related legal exposure, stay on the right side of law, and achieve their full potential. We offer best-in-class compliance product and services that includes news, information & analysis, best practice guidance, employee training and turn-key tools delivered in a wide range of formats from online applications, live events and websites to books, CD's, Video, Posters and newsletters geared to all sized organizations and industries.
||Contact Us For More Information
||Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Reasonable Accommodation - Impairment
Garnishments, Child Support Orders and Other Levies
Internal Investigations Certificate Program
How To Write Clear, Concise, And Compliant Job Descriptions
How To Drive HR Strategy
How To Get Your Managers To Cooperate With HR
Background Checks And Safe Hiring: Trends, Legal Developments, And Best Practices
Personnel Records: What To Keep, What To Toss
Creative - And Free - Ways To Use LinkedIn As A Recruiting Tool
Certificate Program For HR Generalists
HR′s Guide To Medical Marijuana In The Workplace
How To Properly Complete A Form I-9
Basics Of OSHA Recordkeeping
Certificate Program In FMLA &ADA Compliance
IRS Rules For Travel Pay
IRS Rules For Work Visas