Government investigations into I-9 forms have skyrocketed in the past year. Immigration &Customs Enforcement (ICE) officials are aggressively pursuing a harsh new worksite strategy focusing on employers.
Administrative I-9 audits are ICE's tool of choice. This year, ICE issue a record number of I-9 audits, a 375% increase from 2008.
Is your organization next?
Strict compliance to the often-confusing I-9 rules is your only defense against serious monetary penalties and even criminal arrests. (A Michigan business owner received a 10-year prison sentence for hiring illegals!)
Too often, company execs and HR managers assume their I-9 compliance practices are in order when, in fact, their records and policies are littered with mistakes, leaving the business and individuals open to fines, lawsuits, and jail time. Are you sure that your I-9 practices can pass muster?
Register now for our timely webinar, I-9 Compliance Workshop: The 10 Commandments of Employee Verification.
- I-9 101. Discover the 10 essential steps to correctly fill out an I-9.
- Documents. Which documents can you review for Lists A, B and C — and what has changed?
- Copying. Should you make copies of driver's licenses and other supporting documents?
- Review. How far are you required to go to determine if a document is "genuine"?
- Retention. Where must you store I-9s? Is a "binder system" the best? And how long must you retain them … 1 year, 3 years, more?
- Disposal. What's the proper way to discard of I-9s — must you shred them?
- Reverification. How can you handle reverification in the most legally safe and efficient way possible?
- Internal audits. What can be corrected and who should be auditing?
- Best practices. What else should you be doing?
- Electronic I-9 systems. What to consider when going paperless?
The penalties are severe for I-9 violations, and the government is no longer negotiating fines of pennies on the dollar. Fines for "substantive" violations can reach $16,000 for each occurrence.
ICE is also focused on building criminal cases out of I-9 audits. In fact, immigration-related work site arrests (including HR professionals!) have skyrocketed more than 1200% in the past five years.
Don't run the risk of your boss (or you!) being led off in handcuffs. Develop solid, audit-proof I-9 practices by joining us June 13 for this important interactive event.
Cannot Attend The Live Presentation?
This presentation is also available in a recorded format, in CD version, as shown in the pricing options below.