Final Pay: Understanding Your Rights And Obligations When The Employment Relationship Ends
|Date / Time:
Whether it's an unexpected resignation or an immediate termination, the clock is ticking on your employee's final paycheck. And if you delay or get it wrong, you could face strict waiting-time penalties or even a wage and hour class action.
Just Google "final pay" and a slew of websites for attorneys representing employees will pop up. Many a plaintiff attorney has built an extremely successful practice going after employers for wage and hour violations. Don't line their pockets by making common gaffes when issuing the final paychecks within your organization.
The best way to avoid costly errors is to have a plan in place for employee resignations and terminations long before an employment relationship ends. Get up to date on your final pay obligations so you can stay in compliance with labor code deadlines.
Participate in this interactive webinar, and you'll learn:
- When wages must be paid after you terminate an employee or when the employee resigns
- Types of waiting-time penalties and how to avoid them
- How to properly calculate the amount of vacation pay, sick leave pay, and commissions owed upon separation of employment
- Limitations you may face when trying to recover a loan to an employee or money for damage they caused to company property
- How to enforce a reimbursement agreement
- What you should do if the employee claims you still owe him or her money
- What a change in relationship letter should always include
- Severance pay and separation package pointers
- Writing you should draft in support of any severance or separation agreement
- Types of claims you're permitted to release with proper monetary "consideration" and the ones you can never release
- When you should consider contesting a claim for unemployment and when you might consider not responding
- Pre-termination best practices so you can minimize surprises
- Proper documentation of performance, discussions, tardiness, absences, and other issues
- When you should offer the employee a chance to formally resign instead of terminating him
- Effective strategies for conducting productive exit interviews
- The game plan to follow when you've got a problem employee on your hands
- Best practices for designating someone internally to be the point of contact for all former employees
In just 90 minutes, you'll learn everything you need to know about properly administering final pay. Register now for this must-attend event for HR professionals.
About your Speaker:
Joel M. Van Parys is an attorney in the Sacramento office of Carothers DiSante &Freudenberger LLP. He represents management in all aspects of the employer-employee relationship, including defense of wage and hour claims, employee misclassifications, wrongful termination, discrimination and harassment, retaliation and unfair competition claims.
Representing employers and management in labor, employment and civil litigation matters in state and federal courts, Nicole A. Legrottaglie aggressively defends her clients in a broad range of employment claims, including claims of discrimination, retaliation, harassment, wrongful termination, ADA/FMLA compliance, wage and hour, contract disputes, and unfair business practices.
Additionally, Legrottaglie has effectively resolved a wide range of charges filed against employers in administrative actions before a number of state and federal agencies. She has represented employers before the Department of Fair Employment and Housing, Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, California Labor Commissioner, the California Department of Industrial Relations- Division of Labor Standards Enforcement, and the National Labor Relations Board.
In addition to her litigation practice, Legrottaglie provides advice and counsel to employers of all sizes. She regularly counsels employers on matters such as hiring, performance issues, workplace policies, practices, and personnel decisions, wage and hour laws, leaves of absence, and prevention of discrimination, harassment and retaliation. Legrottaglie also has experience conducting independent investigations of internal complaints.
Cannot Attend The Live Presentation?
This presentation is also available in a recorded format, in CD version, as shown in the pricing options below.
|About Webcasts / Audio Conferences / Podcasts:|
Webcasts, audio conferences, and podcasts are presentations that you
attend via the Internet, phone, or mobile device at a specified date and time for "live" versions, or at your convenience for "recorded" and "On-Demand" versions.
versions are interactive, meaning that participants can ask questions in real time, plus are a very cost-effective form of training because 1) you receive fast, convenient learning without
any out-of-office time; 2) you can invite as many colleagues as you'd like to listen in on a single phone line; 3) you incur no travel expenses; and 4) you and your colleagues are back
at work immediately after the session ends!
And though with recorded versions you do lose the ability to ask questions, you gain the ability to hear the presentation numerous
times and to share it with others in your office.
Handout materials and the phone number for live presentations are made available to you prior to the event via email from the
presenter and from the "MyAccount" link on the menu bar. Copies of the presentations are included with recorded versions.
|Licenses / Designations / Educational Credits:||PHR / SPHR Re-Certification Credits|
All US States: 1.5
|About The Provider:
||BLR® is the leader in helping organizations, and their employees, reduce safety, environmental and employment compliance-related legal exposure, stay on the right side of law, and achieve their full potential. We offer best-in-class compliance product and services that includes news, information & analysis, best practice guidance, employee training and turn-key tools delivered in a wide range of formats from online applications, live events and websites to books, CD's, Video, Posters and newsletters geared to all sized organizations and industries.
||Contact Us For More Information
||Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Reasonable Accommodation - Impairment
IRS Rules For Travel Pay
How To Write Clear, Concise, And Compliant Job Descriptions
Payroll Operations Academy
Garnishments, Child Support Orders and Other Levies
Internal Investigations Certificate Program
How To Drive HR Strategy
How To Get Your Managers To Cooperate With HR
Dealing with Difficult People
HR′s Guide To Medical Marijuana In The Workplace
Personnel Records: What To Keep, What To Toss
Creative - And Free - Ways To Use LinkedIn As A Recruiting Tool
Certificate Program For HR Generalists
IRS Rules For Work Visas
How to Supervise People Seminar
Certificate Program In FMLA &ADA Compliance