PTO Policies In California: How To Cut Abuse, Reduce Absenteeism And Manage Leaves Effectively In The Golden State
|Date / Time:
It used to be that vacation days were for vacations, sick days were for being sick, and personal days were for, well, everything else.
But now employers are increasingly making a shift to using a paid time off (PTO) model, where leave is just leave - a bank of hours that can be pulled from as needed, for whatever reason. In fact, 58 percent of employers now use a PTO bank instead of separate buckets for sick time and vacation time.
While employees appreciate the flexibility of a PTO plan, for you as an HR professional, the administration aspect can get tricky, particularly in California, where you need to worry about the state's complicated and employee-friendly wage and hour laws and leave rules.
Don't get tripped up. Instead, join us for an in-depth webinar covering everything you need to know about administering a PTO program in California.
- What an effective, compliant PTO policy looks like, and how it differs from the traditional vacation day structure
- How to properly account for time off that is not tracked in easily measurable full days
- The kinds of notice you need to give to exempt workers before forcing them to use accrued PTO during furloughs
- What paid vacation or PTO can mean when it comes to overtime pay for nonexempt employees
- Whether or not you can legally implement a "use it or lose it policy"
- The right way, and the wrong way, to administer PTO days that carry over from year to year
- Tactics for combining PTO leave with protected leave under the Family and Medical Leave Act
- The top things you need to know before changing PTO accrual rates
- Strategies for cashing out: How to be smart when employees cash out their unused time
- When you can and can't dock an exempt employee's pay without jeopardizing the exemption from overtime
- When PTO time amounts to wages under California law
- How to structure a PTO bank so that it does not have to be paid out upon termination
- Keys to using caps to your advantage: How prevent vacation-avoidant employees from cashing out enormous vacation banks upon termination
- And much more!
In just 90 minutes, you'll learn the ins and outs of administering an effective, legally compliant PTO policy in California. Register now for this informative event for HR professionals
Cannot Attend The Live Presentation?
This presentation is also available in a recorded format, in CD version, as shown in the pricing options below.
|About Webcasts / Audio Conferences / Podcasts:|
Webcasts, audio conferences, and podcasts are presentations that you
attend via the Internet, phone, or mobile device at a specified date and time for "live" versions, or at your convenience for "recorded" and "On-Demand" versions.
versions are interactive, meaning that participants can ask questions in real time, plus are a very cost-effective form of training because 1) you receive fast, convenient learning without
any out-of-office time; 2) you can invite as many colleagues as you'd like to listen in on a single phone line; 3) you incur no travel expenses; and 4) you and your colleagues are back
at work immediately after the session ends!
And though with recorded versions you do lose the ability to ask questions, you gain the ability to hear the presentation numerous
times and to share it with others in your office.
Handout materials and the phone number for live presentations are made available to you prior to the event via email from the
presenter and from the "MyAccount" link on the menu bar. Copies of the presentations are included with recorded versions.
|Licenses / Designations / Educational Credits:||PHR / SPHR Re-Certification Credits|
All US States: 1.5
|About The Provider:
||BLR® is the leader in helping organizations, and their employees, reduce safety, environmental and employment compliance-related legal exposure, stay on the right side of law, and achieve their full potential. We offer best-in-class compliance product and services that includes news, information & analysis, best practice guidance, employee training and turn-key tools delivered in a wide range of formats from online applications, live events and websites to books, CD's, Video, Posters and newsletters geared to all sized organizations and industries.
||Contact Us For More Information
||Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
|Keywords For This Course:|
Paid time off, PTO, California, Vacation, Time off, Family Medical Leave Act, Absenteeism, Accrual, Use it or lose it, CFRA, FMLA
Serious Complaint or Employee Drama?
Guidelines For Taxing Gifts, Awards, &Other Fringe Benefits
How To Supervise Employees Who Don′t Get Along
Certificate Program For HR Generalists
Workers′ Comp 101: The Whats, Whens, And Whys
How To Stop Toxic Employees From Side-Tracking Your Company
Agile Basics For HR
Motivate Or Terminate
Internal Investigations Certificate Program
Advanced Internal Investigations Certificate Program
What To Do When Applicants Or Employees Have A Criminal History
How To Coach Up Or Counsel Out Problem Employees
Certificate Program In FMLA &ADA Compliance
Strategic HR Leadership Certificate Program
Payroll Records: What To Keep, What To Toss
Bring Our Training Courses To Your Location