I-9 Recordkeeping: Completion, Storage, And Other Immigration Compliance Tips
|Date / Time:
Immigration reform has been on the government's radar for some time, and 2014 promises to be no different.
With increased funding for enforcement efforts combined with a public outcry for reform, Immigration and Customs Enforcement will be actively be on the audit trail in the new year, ready to dish out hefty fines for employers who are not in compliance.
Consider these examples:
- This past fall, the federal government launched a new wave of silent raids on 1,000 businesses suspected of hiring illegal immigrants around the country. The suspected employers spanned a wide variety of industries, ranging from restaurants to high-tech manufacturing to agriculture. This wave of raids was the largest since July 2009
- The Department of Justice's Office of Special Counsel claimed that a major retailer required new hires to provide more or different documents than what they had originally supplied as proof of their employment eligibility, even though the supplied documents looked genuine. As a result, the retailer will pay $175,000 in civil penalties. In addition, it will establish a fund to compensate those damaged by its non-IRCA-compliant practices
Don't wait until immigration officials come knocking at your door. Get your records and practices up to date now, so you can stay in compliance and out of court.
Participate in this interactive webinar, and you'll learn:
- Up-to-date requirements for I-9 form and E-Verify compliance
- Common I-9 completion mistakes to avoid - and the procedural violations to avoid so ICE doesn't slap you with fines for technical errors
- Best practices for filling out the I-9 and legally acceptable ways to verify workers' documentation
- Form I-9 re-verification requirements for non-U.S. citizens and non-permanent residents, and examples of how employers have gotten into legal trouble with their re-verification requests
- How to handle I-9s for returning workers
- How to complete I-9s for new employees using automatically extended employment authorization documents (EADs)
- Tips for copying and storing I-9s - from whether you should photocopy workers' supporting documentation to storing paper I-9s and electronic records
- When it's safe to destroy old I-9s
- The most common recordkeeping errors to avoid so you're not under ICE scrutiny and subject to hefty fines
- Best practices for ensuring that you're not unknowingly hiring or employing workers not authorized to work in the United
- States, and what not to do when placing ads seeking employees, so you don't breed citizenship-based discrimination claims
- How to legally walk the line between being vigilant about having workers produce sufficient documentation to back up their assertions that they can legally work here and not overstepping by requesting too much or impermissible information
- Strategies for ensuring your organization is prepared in the event of an ICE audit...and more!
In just 90 minutes, you'll learn valuable tips for keeping your immigration records up to date. Register now for this informative event risk-free.
About Your Presenter:
Attorney Shanon Stevenson is a partner in the Atlanta office of Fisher &Phillips, LLP and a member of the firm's Global Immigration Practice Group. Ms. Stevenson's practice focuses on corporate immigration law. She began practicing in this area in 1998. She has comprehensive knowledge and extensive experience in a broad range of immigration areas, including advising clients on current immigration legislation, handling nonimmigrant and immigrant visa applications, outbound visas, Export Administration Regulation Deemed Export determinations, and advising employers on I-9 compliance.
Cannot Attend The Live Presentation?
This presentation is also available in a recorded format, in CD version, as shown in the pricing options below.
|About Webcasts / Audio Conferences / Podcasts:|
Webcasts, audio conferences, and podcasts are presentations that you
attend via the Internet, phone, or mobile device at a specified date and time for "live" versions, or at your convenience for "recorded" and "On-Demand" versions.
versions are interactive, meaning that participants can ask questions in real time, plus are a very cost-effective form of training because 1) you receive fast, convenient learning without
any out-of-office time; 2) you can invite as many colleagues as you'd like to listen in on a single phone line; 3) you incur no travel expenses; and 4) you and your colleagues are back
at work immediately after the session ends!
And though with recorded versions you do lose the ability to ask questions, you gain the ability to hear the presentation numerous
times and to share it with others in your office.
Handout materials and the phone number for live presentations are made available to you prior to the event via email from the
presenter and from the "MyAccount" link on the menu bar. Copies of the presentations are included with recorded versions.
|Licenses / Designations / Educational Credits:||PHR / SPHR Re-Certification Credits|
All US States: 1.5
|About The Provider:
||BLR® is the leader in helping organizations, and their employees, reduce safety, environmental and employment compliance-related legal exposure, stay on the right side of law, and achieve their full potential. We offer best-in-class compliance product and services that includes news, information & analysis, best practice guidance, employee training and turn-key tools delivered in a wide range of formats from online applications, live events and websites to books, CD's, Video, Posters and newsletters geared to all sized organizations and industries.
||Contact Us For More Information
||Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
|Keywords For This Course:|
I-9, 1-9 Recordkeeping, E-Verify, immigration compliance, ICE, immigration
Workplace Investigations 101: The Basics For Conducting Workplace Investigations
Employee Handbooks: 2017 Issues
How To Change The Perception Of The HR Department
How To Communicate Assertively To Exude Confidence And Competence
Year End Legislative &Tax Changes In Payroll
Payroll Records: What To Keep, What To Toss
PTO Plan Or Traditional Vacation And Sick Time? The Pros and Cons Of A Paid-Time-Off Plan
Motivate Or Terminate
Certificate Program For HR Generalists
Agile Basics For HR
Internal Investigations Certificate Program
Certificate Program In FMLA &ADA Compliance
The Essentials Of HR Law
FMLA Training &Certification Program
Certified Payroll Manager
Fundamentals Of Form W-2 &Form W-4 Processing