The Impact of Social Security Benefits and Medicare Compliance on Workers' Compensation Settlements
|Date / Time:
You will learn how the interrelationship between Social Security disability benefits and workers' compensation makes settlement of workers' compensation cases more attractive for the injured worker. This live webinar will also cover the possible off-set for Social Security old age benefits as a factor in valuing cases for settlement.
The parties to a workers' compensation case are now the worker, the employer/insurer and Medicare. You will learn how compliance with the Medicare Secondary Payer Act affects both Medicare beneficiaries and nonbeneficiaries who are resolving the medical portion of a workers' compensation claim.
The panel will answer the following questions: Which cases are reported to Medicare? What are the obligations of the parties to Medicare? Can the cumbersome process of Medicare approval be avoided? How can the parties reasonably consider Medicare's interest without overfunding the Medical Savings Account?
- The Benefit to the Injured Worker of Settling the Disability/Wage Loss Portion of the Claim
- The Effect on Social Security Disability Benefits When Workers' Compensation Benefits Are Resolved
- Language Needed in the Settlement Documents
- The Effect of Social Security Old Age Benefits on Workers' Compensation Benefits
- The Consideration of Medicare's Interest in the Settlement of the Medical Portion of the Claim
- Where the Injured Worker Is a Medicare Beneficiary
- Where the Injured Worker Is Not a Medicare Beneficiary
- The Risks and Obligations of the Parties in Medicare Compliance
- Consequences of Noncompliance to the Injured Worker and Employer
- Avoiding Overfunding of Medicare Set-Asides: Reasonably Predicting the Cost of Future Care
Charles S. Katz Jr., Esq.
- Attorney and the chief legal officer of MSP Compliance Solutions, LLC, which is a Minneapolis, Minnesota, based legal compliance and consulting firm
- Gained his initial experience in Medicare compliance by working for over a decade in the Medicare compliance, workers' compensation and civil litigation sectors
- Recognized national subject-matter expert on Medicare Secondary Payer Act compliance matters
- Serves on the board of directors of the National Alliance of Medicare Set-Aside Professionals (NAMSAP) and is an active member of the Hennepin County Bar Association
- J.D. degree, William Mitchell College of Law in St. Paul, Minnesota; B.A. degree, St. Cloud State University
- Engaged in the practice of law as a sole practitioner with an office in Chester County, Pennsylvania
- More than 40 years practicing in workers' compensation law representing workers, employers, and insurers with an emphasis on Medicare Secondary Payer Act compliance
- Has been elected by his peers as a Pennsylvania Super Lawyer and holds the highest rating in the Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory
- Lectures nationally on the topic of workers' compensation and has been a regular Lorman Education speaker since 1985
- Member of the Lexis-Nexis National Advisory Board for workers' compensation
- Active member of NAMSAP (National Alliance of Medicare Set-Aside Professionals)
- J.D. degree, American University, Washington College of Law; B.S. degree, Bucknell University
- Can be contacted at 610-296-5289 or email@example.com
Cannot Attend The Live Presentation?
This presentation is also available in a recorded format, in CD version, as shown in the pricing options below.
|About Webcasts / Audio Conferences / Podcasts:|
Webcasts, audio conferences, and podcasts are presentations that you
attend via the Internet, phone, or mobile device at a specified date and time for "live" versions, or at your convenience for "recorded" and "On-Demand" versions.
versions are interactive, meaning that participants can ask questions in real time, plus are a very cost-effective form of training because 1) you receive fast, convenient learning without
any out-of-office time; 2) you can invite as many colleagues as you'd like to listen in on a single phone line; 3) you incur no travel expenses; and 4) you and your colleagues are back
at work immediately after the session ends!
And though with recorded versions you do lose the ability to ask questions, you gain the ability to hear the presentation numerous
times and to share it with others in your office.
Handout materials and the phone number for live presentations are made available to you prior to the event via email from the
presenter and from the "MyAccount" link on the menu bar. Copies of the presentations are included with recorded versions.
|About The Provider:
||Lorman Education Services has provided educational seminars and online training for professionals since 1987.
Since then, we've kept thousands of professionals in the United States and internationally current on the most pressing topics in a rapidly changing marketplace of ideas. Like you, we understand the need for concise, accurate information.
That understanding underlies each Lorman course, presenting the latest information on the laws and regulations critical to your organization's successful daily operations.
Moreover, each course receives our painstaking attention to be certain both the faculty and participants receive the individual attention necessary to achieve maximum benefit from the materials.
||Contact Us For More Information
||Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Internal Investigations Certificate Program
Service Animals In The Workplace: What You Need To Know
What To Do When Applicants Or Employees Have A Criminal History
Workers′ Comp 101: The Whats, Whens, And Whys
Certificate Program For HR Generalists
How To Coach Up Or Counsel Out Problem Employees
How To Get Your Managers To Cooperate With HR
Certificate Program In FMLA &ADA Compliance
How To Avoid Wrongful Termination Claims
Form I-9: Understanding The Anti-Discrimination Provisions Of The Law
Multi-State Payroll Tax Compliance
IRS Rules For Inpat &Expat Payroll
Dealing with Difficult People
How To Communicate With Tact And Professionalism
Dress Code Policy Do′s and Don′ts
How to Supervise People Seminar