Early Retirement Incentives: Navigating The Legal Issues
|Date / Time:
|| Audio Conference|
When an employer must downsize its workforce, early retirement incentives are often an attractive alternative to involuntary layoffs, because they can help preserve morale during difficult times.
Even when an employer is not downsizing, early retirement incentives can save money by decreasing the length of the average career in industries where compensation levels are closely tied to seniority.
This training session will discuss ways of structuring early retirement incentives so that they will not only have the desired effect on the financial bottom line, but also stay on the right side of the law. The impact of federal and state age discrimination laws will be considered, as will collective bargaining, ERISA, employee benefit, and tax issues.
Important Considerations When Deciding Whether to Offer an Early Retirement Incentive
The Economics of Early Retirement Incentives
- Identification of the Goals to Be Accomplished
- Identification of the Eligible Employees
- One-Time Incentive or an Ongoing Program?
- Group Program, Individual "Ad Hoc" Agreements, or Both?
- Identification of the Proposed Compensation and/or Benefits
- Identification of the Funding Source
- Review of Other Documents
- Should a Release of Claims Be Required?
- Employee Relations Issues
- Legal Framework
Age Discrimination in Employment Act Considerations
- Potential Savings
- Hidden Costs
Collective Bargaining IssuesERISA and Employee Benefit Issues
- The Law Before OWBPA
- OWBPA: Early Retirement Incentives Can Be Lawful
- Restrictions Required by the ADEA
- Integration With Retirement Payments
- Enforcement of Window Periods
- Reverse Age Discrimination
- Risks Under State Age Discrimination Laws
- Releases - Special OWBPA Rules
- Qualified Versus Nonqualified Plans
- Supplemental Benefits?
- Window Benefits Under a Qualified Defined Benefit Plan
- Severance Plans and Top Hat Pension Plans
- Fort Halifax, Ad Hoc and Deferred Compensation Arrangements
- Other Nonqualified Pension Plans
- Employment Contract Exemption
- Consultant Agreements
- Other Benefits
- Plan Document Issues
- Retiree Medical Benefits
- COBRA Compliance
About Your Presenter
- Review Tax Status of Each Payment
- Deferred Compensation Compliance
- Special Deferred Compensation Requirements for Tax-Exempt Employers
- Review Tax Status of Each Benefit
- Employee Benefit Nondiscrimination Requirements
Richard G. Kass
Thaddeus J. Lewkowicz
- Member of Bond, Schoeneck & King, PLLC, which has one of the largest labor and employment practices in the state of New York
- Has practiced exclusively in the field of labor and employment law for more than 28 years, representing management
- His clients are in such diverse fields as education, social services, manufacturing and civil engineering
- Graduate, Yale College and Harvard Law School
- Member of Bond, Schoeneck & King, PLLC, which also has one of the largest employee benefit practices in New York State
- Practice focuses on employee benefits, executive compensation, and tax issues, including the preparation of early retirement window programs, early retirement incentive agreements, reduction in force programs, severance plans, Fort Halifax termination incentive programs, severance agreements, tenure buyout programs, and other employee benefit plans, programs and policies
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® 2014 for Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law
Cannot Attend The Live Presentation?
This presentation is also available in a recorded format, in CD version, as shown in the pricing options below.
|About Webcasts / Audio Conferences / Podcasts:|
Webcasts, audio conferences, and podcasts are presentations that you
attend via the Internet, phone, or mobile device at a specified date and time for "live" versions, or at your convenience for "recorded" and "On-Demand" versions.
versions are interactive, meaning that participants can ask questions in real time, plus are a very cost-effective form of training because 1) you receive fast, convenient learning without
any out-of-office time; 2) you can invite as many colleagues as you'd like to listen in on a single phone line; 3) you incur no travel expenses; and 4) you and your colleagues are back
at work immediately after the session ends!
And though with recorded versions you do lose the ability to ask questions, you gain the ability to hear the presentation numerous
times and to share it with others in your office.
Handout materials and the phone number for live presentations are made available to you prior to the event via email from the
presenter and from the "MyAccount" link on the menu bar. Copies of the presentations are included with recorded versions.
|About The Provider:
||Lorman Education Services has provided educational seminars and online training for professionals since 1987.
Since then, we've kept thousands of professionals in the United States and internationally current on the most pressing topics in a rapidly changing marketplace of ideas. Like you, we understand the need for concise, accurate information.
That understanding underlies each Lorman course, presenting the latest information on the laws and regulations critical to your organization's successful daily operations.
Moreover, each course receives our painstaking attention to be certain both the faculty and participants receive the individual attention necessary to achieve maximum benefit from the materials.
||Contact Us For More Information
||Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
How To Keep HR From Being The Employee Complaint Department
Reasonable Or Unreasonable Accommodation? How To Identify Disabilities And Handle Employee Issues - Without Violating The ADA
Workers′ Comp 101: The Whats, Whens, And Whys
Internal Investigations Certificate Program
Certificate Program For HR Generalists
Service Animals In The Workplace: What You Need To Know
Multi-State Payroll Tax Compliance
Visa (Non-Immigration) For Payroll Professionals
IRS Rules For Travel Pay
How To Get Your Managers To Cooperate With HR
How To Avoid Wrongful Termination Claims
Form I-9: Understanding The Anti-Discrimination Provisions Of The Law
Certificate Program In FMLA &ADA Compliance
Dealing with Difficult People
How To Communicate With Tact And Professionalism
Dress Code Policy Do′s and Don′ts