Understanding Pregnancy Leave And Return To Work Issues
|Date / Time:
One of the more complicated leave topics for employers, especially for multi-jurisdictional employers, is maternity leave.
Federal and state laws provide layers of protection to pregnant women and impose multi-dimensional requirements on their employers both for leave and accommodation. Just understanding the rubric of obligations and attempting to apply the rules correctly is a challenge. However, the risks associated with getting it wrong are increasing.
The EEOC has identified in its Strategic Enforcement Plan the issue of accommodating pregnancy-related limitations under the ADAAA and the Pregnancy Discrimination Act as a priority for monitoring and filed a string of pregnancy discrimination lawsuits in 2013 that demonstrate its commitment to its enforcement efforts.
With so many developments and increased enforcement activity in this area, employers should take a renewed look at the laws and regulations to be followed and ensure that they have implemented best practices that are pragmatic and consistent with the law.
This live webinar will provide guidance on this important issue by providing an overview of federal and state law, including the FMLA, the ADAAA, and Title VII and key changes and developments under each one, in addition to specifically addressing unique state requirements and special concerns related to pregnancy leave and return to work.
Overview of Leave and Accommodation Issues Related to Pregnancy
Federal Law Requirements and Developments
State and Local Laws Governing Maternity Leave
- The Basics: Leave Under the FMLA Related to Pregnancy
- Protections for Pregnant Women Under the ADAAA
- What Does the Pregnancy Discrimination Act Require?
Special Concerns Related to Maternity Leave
- Pregnancy and Bonding Leaves Under State Law and What's New
- Nondiscrimination and Accommodation Obligations
- Breastfeeding Issues
- Compensation and Benefits
- Return to Work
Ann Marie Painter
- Partner in Perkins Coie LLP's Labor & Employment Practice
- Has extensive experience counseling employers in technology, defense contracting, manufacturing, hospitality, retail and finance
- In her nationwide employment litigation practice, she defends employers against the full range of individual, collective and class action employment-related claims
- Recognized repeatedly as a leading lawyer by D Magazine and listed for several years by Chambers USA
- Frequent speaker and contributing writer to various employment CLE programs and publications
- Has co-chaired several committees of the American Bar Association Section of Litigation, including the Employment and Labor Relations Committee, and maintains an active profile in key professional and industry associations
- J.D. degree, high honors, University of Tennessee College of Law; B.A. degree, summa cum laude, Carson-Newman University
Cannot Attend The Live Presentation?
This presentation is also available in a recorded format, in CD version, as shown in the pricing options below.
|About Webcasts / Audio Conferences / Podcasts:|
Webcasts, audio conferences, and podcasts are presentations that you
attend via the Internet, phone, or mobile device at a specified date and time for "live" versions, or at your convenience for "recorded" and "On-Demand" versions.
versions are interactive, meaning that participants can ask questions in real time, plus are a very cost-effective form of training because 1) you receive fast, convenient learning without
any out-of-office time; 2) you can invite as many colleagues as you'd like to listen in on a single phone line; 3) you incur no travel expenses; and 4) you and your colleagues are back
at work immediately after the session ends!
And though with recorded versions you do lose the ability to ask questions, you gain the ability to hear the presentation numerous
times and to share it with others in your office.
Handout materials and the phone number for live presentations are made available to you prior to the event via email from the
presenter and from the "MyAccount" link on the menu bar. Copies of the presentations are included with recorded versions.
|About The Provider:
||Lorman Education Services has provided educational seminars and online training for professionals since 1987.
Since then, we've kept thousands of professionals in the United States and internationally current on the most pressing topics in a rapidly changing marketplace of ideas. Like you, we understand the need for concise, accurate information.
That understanding underlies each Lorman course, presenting the latest information on the laws and regulations critical to your organization's successful daily operations.
Moreover, each course receives our painstaking attention to be certain both the faculty and participants receive the individual attention necessary to achieve maximum benefit from the materials.
||Contact Us For More Information
||Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Reasonable Accommodation - Impairment
IRS Rules For Travel Pay
How To Write Clear, Concise, And Compliant Job Descriptions
Payroll Operations Academy
Garnishments, Child Support Orders and Other Levies
Internal Investigations Certificate Program
How To Drive HR Strategy
How To Get Your Managers To Cooperate With HR
Dealing with Difficult People
HR′s Guide To Medical Marijuana In The Workplace
Personnel Records: What To Keep, What To Toss
Creative - And Free - Ways To Use LinkedIn As A Recruiting Tool
Certificate Program For HR Generalists
IRS Rules For Work Visas
How to Supervise People Seminar
Certificate Program In FMLA &ADA Compliance