Payroll Tax And Reporting Obligations for Nonstandard Wage Payments
|Date / Time:
Employers routinely make payments to employees and independent contractors outside their regular payroll system, including bonuses, severance pay and damages. Many employers are unaware of their obligations with respect to these payments, including the special rules (some beneficial and some not) that might apply.
This webinar helps tax and payroll specialists and others with an interest in this issue to understand employers' obligations and design systems and procedures to help ensure compliance.
Overview of Employers' Payroll Tax and Reporting Obligations
- Withholding Requirements
- Deposit Requirements
- Employment Tax Return Requirement
- Information Reporting Requirements/ul>Special Rules for Supplemental Wage Payments
Special Rules for Damage Awards and Settlement Payments
- Definition of Supplemental Wage Payments
- Optional and Mandatory Rules Applicable to Supplemental Wage Payments
Other Nonstandard Wage Payments
- When Damage Awards and Settlement Payments Are Income
- When Damage Awards and Settlement Payments Are Wages
- Special Rules Applicable to Interest and Attorney Fee Payments
Issues Raised by Payments to Independent Contractors
- Severance Pay
- Other Pre-and Post-Employment Payments
- Contract Buy-Outs
- When Payments to Independent Contractors Are Subject to Reporting Requirements
- When Payments to Independent Contractors Are Subject to Withholding Requirements
Kurt L.P. Lawson Esq.
Edward James Leyden Esq.
- Partner with the law firm of Hogan Lovells US LLP, in Washington, D.C.
- Primarily represents employers on all aspects of employment taxes and pension, health, fringe and other benefits
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America and Super Lawyers in Washington, D.C. since 2007
- Ranked in Chambers since 2010
- Member of the American College of Employee Benefits Counsel
- Writer and speaker on tax and employee benefits matters and an adjunct professor at the Georgetown Law Center
- ABA Tax Section council director and former chair of the Employee Benefits Committee
- Graduate, Yale and the University of Virginia School of Law
- Owner of Leyden Law LLC in Bowie, Maryland
- Counsels companies on taxation and employment issues
- Has advised a diverse group of clients, including technology companies, health care enterprises, National Football League players, the online gaming community, and the commissioner of Major League Baseball
- Past chair of the American Bar Association Section of Taxation, Committee on Employment Taxes, and has been elected as a fellow of the American Bar Foundation
- Law degrees, University of Baltimore and the Georgetown University Law Center; undergraduate degree in commerce and engineering, Drexel University
Cannot Attend The Live Presentation?
This presentation is also available in a recorded format, in CD version, as shown in the pricing options below.
|About Webcasts / Audio Conferences / Podcasts:|
Webcasts, audio conferences, and podcasts are presentations that you
attend via the Internet, phone, or mobile device at a specified date and time for "live" versions, or at your convenience for "recorded" and "On-Demand" versions.
versions are interactive, meaning that participants can ask questions in real time, plus are a very cost-effective form of training because 1) you receive fast, convenient learning without
any out-of-office time; 2) you can invite as many colleagues as you'd like to listen in on a single phone line; 3) you incur no travel expenses; and 4) you and your colleagues are back
at work immediately after the session ends!
And though with recorded versions you do lose the ability to ask questions, you gain the ability to hear the presentation numerous
times and to share it with others in your office.
Handout materials and the phone number for live presentations are made available to you prior to the event via email from the
presenter and from the "MyAccount" link on the menu bar. Copies of the presentations are included with recorded versions.
|About The Provider:
||Lorman Education Services has provided educational seminars and online training for professionals since 1987.
Since then, we've kept thousands of professionals in the United States and internationally current on the most pressing topics in a rapidly changing marketplace of ideas. Like you, we understand the need for concise, accurate information.
That understanding underlies each Lorman course, presenting the latest information on the laws and regulations critical to your organization's successful daily operations.
Moreover, each course receives our painstaking attention to be certain both the faculty and participants receive the individual attention necessary to achieve maximum benefit from the materials.
||Contact Us For More Information
||Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Serious Complaint or Employee Drama?
How To Stop Toxic Employees From Side-Tracking Your Company
Guidelines For Taxing Gifts, Awards, &Other Fringe Benefits
How To Supervise Employees Who Don′t Get Along
Certificate Program For HR Generalists
Workers′ Comp 101: The Whats, Whens, And Whys
Agile Basics For HR
Motivate Or Terminate
Internal Investigations Certificate Program
Advanced Internal Investigations Certificate Program
Payroll Records: What To Keep, What To Toss
How To Coach Up Or Counsel Out Problem Employees
Certificate Program In FMLA &ADA Compliance
Strategic HR Leadership Certificate Program
Certificate In Essentials Of Human Resource Management Seminar
Certificate In Employee Relations Law Seminar