Using Payroll Audits To Detect Errors And Fraud
|Date / Time:
As a finance professional, safeguarding corporate assets is likely one of your top priorities. Unfortunately, considering our litigious society, overly competitive job market and ever-changing regulatory landscape, labor and payroll departments can be a hotbed of risk for fraud and litigation. Perpetrators may come in all forms, and schemes may arise from countless variables. These issues can suddenly over-extend today's executive, who already has been tasked with doing more with less.
You will learn about what payroll fraud is and how it is committed, detected and deterred. Coverage begins with an explanation of the fraud methodology and the recent penalties, fines and sanctions levied against companies. This will be followed by detailed examination of the most prevalent payroll fraud schemes and litigation risks facing employees, owners, managers and executives.
Heed the warning of the proverbial saying: "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" (Franklin). When appropriately applied to your payroll and labor function, this practice could result in substantial savings.
Most Common Fraud Schemes and Risks
Labor Litigation and Compliance Risks Related to Payroll
- Ghost Employees
- Preventing Ghost Employee Schemes
- Detecting Ghost Employee Schemes
- Inflated Commissions
- Preventing Commission Schemes
- Detecting Commission Schemes
- Falsification of Hours and Salary
- Preventing Falsification Schemes
- Detecting Falsification Schemes
Collective Mistakes to AvoidFACULTY
- Standards Overview and Applicability
- Relevant Fair Labor Standards Act Definitions and Provisions
- Minimum Wage and Overtime Pay
- Complexities of Calculating Hours Worked
- Common Mistakes and Pitfalls in Assessments
- FLSA Recordkeeping Requirements
Jeffrey G. Matthews, CPA, CFE
- Attorney in Littler Mendelson’s Dallas office
- Represents employers regarding a broad range of employment matters at the administrative, trial and appellate levels
- Her substantive practice areas include wage and hour compliance, discrimination and harassment training and defense, drafting employee handbooks and policies and procedures, and workplace safety and health (OSHA)
- Has presented several presentations relating to her areas of expertise
- Named, Best Lawyers in Dallas, Labor and Employment Law - D Magazine, 2014
- Named, Rising Star in Employment and Labor Law - Texas, Super Lawyers, 2014
- Named, Hot List - Lawyers of Color Inc., 2014
- President, Dallas Association of Young Lawyers
- J.D. degree, cum laude, Southern Methodist University, Dedman School of Law; B.A. degree, cum laude, Texas A&M University
- A vice president in Charles River Associates' Dallas office
- Has significant experience in financial investigations, forensic accounting and litigation support
- Spent many years practicing for Big Four accounting firms, state, local and federal governmental bodies
- Investigated and provided oversight for investigations of federal and state criminal violations, including many types of fraud
- Has calculated damages resulting from breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, diminution of value and misappropriation of trade secrets
- Has been quoted in the Dallas Observer, Dallas Morning News, Dallas Business Journal, the Collin County Business Journal, the Texas Lawyer, Smart Business Magazine and Private Equity International
- Four-time national All-Star speaker, voted on by members of the Institute of Internal Auditors
- Also the 2013 Certified Fraud Examiner of the Year, the prestigious award given annually to one of more than 65,000 members of the Association of Certified Fraud Examiners
- Former president of the Dallas Chapter of Certified Fraud Examiners
- Developed and is currently teaching University of Texas at Arlington’s inaugural Forensic Accounting and Fraud Investigations Class for the MBA program
- B.B.A. degree in accounting, University of Louisiana at Monroe
Cannot Attend The Live Presentation?
This presentation is also available in a recorded format, in CD version, as shown in the pricing options below.
|About Webcasts / Audio Conferences / Podcasts:|
Webcasts, audio conferences, and podcasts are presentations that you
attend via the Internet, phone, or mobile device at a specified date and time for "live" versions, or at your convenience for "recorded" and "On-Demand" versions.
versions are interactive, meaning that participants can ask questions in real time, plus are a very cost-effective form of training because 1) you receive fast, convenient learning without
any out-of-office time; 2) you can invite as many colleagues as you'd like to listen in on a single phone line; 3) you incur no travel expenses; and 4) you and your colleagues are back
at work immediately after the session ends!
And though with recorded versions you do lose the ability to ask questions, you gain the ability to hear the presentation numerous
times and to share it with others in your office.
Handout materials and the phone number for live presentations are made available to you prior to the event via email from the
presenter and from the "MyAccount" link on the menu bar. Copies of the presentations are included with recorded versions.
|About The Provider:
||Lorman Education Services has provided educational seminars and online training for professionals since 1987.
Since then, we've kept thousands of professionals in the United States and internationally current on the most pressing topics in a rapidly changing marketplace of ideas. Like you, we understand the need for concise, accurate information.
That understanding underlies each Lorman course, presenting the latest information on the laws and regulations critical to your organization's successful daily operations.
Moreover, each course receives our painstaking attention to be certain both the faculty and participants receive the individual attention necessary to achieve maximum benefit from the materials.
||Contact Us For More Information
||Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Certificate Program For HR Generalists
Garnishments, Child Support Orders, And Other Levies
How Workers′ Compensation Works (Comprehensive 11-Module Course)
Assertiveness Skills For HR Professionals
Certificate Program In FMLA &ADA Compliance
How To Use PTO To Reduce Absenteeism
Managing Emotions Under Pressure
Internal Investigations Certificate Program
How To Document Your Payroll Procedures
HRCI / SHRM 60 Hour Re-Certification Training Suite
Company Ethics: How To Set The Tone As A Leader
SOX Requirements For Payroll
Payroll Records: What To Keep, What To Toss
Strategic HR Leadership Certificate Program
Dealing with Difficult People
Bring Our Training Courses To Your Location