Same-Sex Spouses and Domestic Partners: Benefits and Taxes
|Date / Time:
|Order:||Qty: Select State: |
In United States v. Windsor, the Supreme Court held that Section 3 of the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) is unconstitutional. Since the decision, more than a dozen courts have found state laws prohibited same-sex marriage to be unconstitutional.
Even before states began recognizing these relationships, employers were in the lead providing benefits to same-sex couples to attract and retain employees. The Windsor decision, subsequent decisions, and employer developments have led to complex rules with respect to the taxation of employer benefits.
This training session focuses on what the decision and the trend in recognition means for employers and their benefit plans. For instance:
This webinar reviews these developments with respect to states recognizing same-sex marriages, civil unions, and domestic partnerships; the growth in employer provided benefits for same-sex couples; and the impact of these developments on employer payroll withholding and reporting obligations.
- What is the impact of the court decisions?
- What spousal benefits are addressed under ERISA and the Code?
- Must employers provide benefits for same-sex spouses?
- What is the tax withholding and reporting impact?
- How does the growth in state recognition of same-sex marriage impact benefits?
Employers that fail to review their payroll practices run the risk of under reporting income and owing federal and state penalties for failure to properly withhold and report income.
Employers also run a risk of employee complaints if the value of benefits is included in income when it is exempt under federal or state income tax. This live webinar is a must for human resource professionals and payroll professionals to assure they are up-to-date on these issues.
- Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA)
- Supreme Court Decision – U.S. v. Windsor
- Subsequent Court Decisions
- ERISA and Same-Sex Marriage
- Internal Revenue Code and Same-Sex Marriage
Benefits for Same-Sex Spouses and Domestic Partners
- Same-Sex Marriages
- Civil Unions
- Domestic Partnerships
Federal Taxation of Benefits
- Health Benefits
- Welfare Benefits
- Retirement Plans
- Nonqualified Plans
- Benefits Not Subject to ERISA
State Taxation of Benefits
- Same-Sex Spouses
- Domestic Partners
- States With No Income Tax
- States With Income Tax That Recognize Same-Sex Spouses or Domestic Partners
- States With Income Tax That Do Not Recognize Same-Sex Spouses or Domestic Partners
Form W-2 Reporting
- Methods for Valuing Health Benefits
About Your Presenter
- Income Tax Reporting on Form W-2
Timothy D.S. Goodman
- Partner with the global law firm of Dorsey & Whitney LLP
- Advises employers on wellness programs and health plans, and on retirement plans and executive compensation
- Advises employers on DOL, IRS and EEOC guidance on wellness programs, responding to benefit claims, answering questions regarding the extension of health coverage under COBRA and state law, and COBRA subsidies
- Advises employers on severance, benefit matters related to reductions in force, retirement plan corrections and compliance, and deferred compensation
- Focuses on hospital and health care employers, agricultural and cooperative employers, and tax-exempt employers
- Former president of the Midwest Pension Conference and the Minneapolis Pension Council
- Member of the American Bar Association’s Tax and Labor and Employment Sections, and the Minnesota State Bar Association’s Employee Benefits Section and Tax Section
- Frequent speaker on health care reform, wellness, benefit and compensation topics
Cannot Attend The Live Presentation?
This presentation is also available in a recorded format, in CD version, as shown in the pricing options below.
|About Webcasts / Audio Conferences / Podcasts:|
Webcasts, audio conferences, and podcasts are presentations that you
attend via the Internet, phone, or mobile device at a specified date and time for "live" versions, or at your convenience for "recorded" and "On-Demand" versions.
versions are interactive, meaning that participants can ask questions in real time, plus are a very cost-effective form of training because 1) you receive fast, convenient learning without
any out-of-office time; 2) you can invite as many colleagues as you'd like to listen in on a single phone line; 3) you incur no travel expenses; and 4) you and your colleagues are back
at work immediately after the session ends!
And though with recorded versions you do lose the ability to ask questions, you gain the ability to hear the presentation numerous
times and to share it with others in your office.
Handout materials and the phone number for live presentations are made available to you prior to the event via email from the
presenter and from the "MyAccount" link on the menu bar. Copies of the presentations are included with recorded versions.
|About The Provider:
||Lorman Education Services has provided educational seminars and online training for professionals since 1987.
Since then, we've kept thousands of professionals in the United States and internationally current on the most pressing topics in a rapidly changing marketplace of ideas. Like you, we understand the need for concise, accurate information.
That understanding underlies each Lorman course, presenting the latest information on the laws and regulations critical to your organization's successful daily operations.
Moreover, each course receives our painstaking attention to be certain both the faculty and participants receive the individual attention necessary to achieve maximum benefit from the materials.
||Contact Us For More Information
|Order:||Qty: Select State: |
||Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
How To Keep HR From Being The Employee Complaint Department
How To Get Your Managers To Cooperate With HR
9 Ways To Spot, Handle, and Reduce Workers′ Comp Fraud
Certificate Program In FMLA &ADA Compliance
Reasonable Or Unreasonable Accommodation? How To Identify Disabilities And Handle Employee Issues - Without Violating The ADA
Multi-State Payroll Tax Compliance
Visa (Non-Immigration) For Payroll Professionals
IRS Rules For Travel Pay
Certificate Program For HR Generalists
Service Animals In The Workplace: What You Need To Know
Internal Investigations Certificate Program
How To Communicate With Tact And Professionalism
Dealing with Difficult People
Dress Code Policy Do′s and Don′ts
How to Supervise People Seminar