Hot Wage & Hour Issues: Overtime Concerns With Remote Access And Mobile Devices
|Date / Time:
|Order:||Qty: Select State: |
Employees and their counsel continue to pursue class action claims for off-the-clock work and unpaid overtime wages at a fever pitch.
Thousands of wage and hour class actions asserting violations of the Fair Labor Standards Act or parallel state laws are filed each year and the costs of defending these matters and the damages claimed and paid, whether through trial or settlement, are staggering.
The key to avoiding these claims is strict compliance with the law; however, the laws are antiquated and do not fit well with technological advances.
Although allowing employees remote access to computer systems and the use of mobile devices may provide for smoother business operations, this technology presents new challenges as to when employees are engaged in work, how to track and pay for that time, and how to control when such activities occur.
This webinar will help you understand the nature of these issues and the newest arguments and claims to overtime advanced by plaintiffs' counsel. It will also explain how you can structure your workplace policies and work environment to minimize the likelihood and success of these claims.
General Requirements of the Fair Labor Standards Act and Similar State Wage and Hour Laws
Challenges Presented by New Technologies
- Minimum Wage and Overtime Requirements
- The Need to Pay for All Hours Worked
- The Need for Accurate Time Records
- Salary Basis Requirements for Exempt Workers
- Historical Issues With Work at Home and Away From the Work Site
- Issues With Remote Access to Computer Systems
- Issues With Mobile Devices
What Can an Employer Do to Minimize the Risks?
About The Presenter
Patrick M. Madden
- Partner and co-chair of the International Labor and Employment Practice Group at K&L Gates LLP
- Advises employers on labor and employment issues, including wage and hour payment, and compliance and compensation plan design, assists employers responding to agency investigations, and represents employers in wage and hour, discrimination, and other lawsuits at the state and federal levels
- Worked on more than a hundred state, regional and national wage and hour class actions, including lawsuits involving wage calculation and payment issues, entitlement to overtime and benefits, off-the-clock claims, challenges to exempt status and claims to employee status
- Listed as a top labor and employment attorney in The Best Lawyers in America and Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, a Super Lawyer in Washington Law & Politics, one of the 29 Washington State litigation stars by Benchmark Litigation, and a leading employment lawyer in Seattle Business and Seattle Metropolitan magazines
- Frequently speaks, writes, and testifies on wage and hour and wage payment issues
- J.D. degree, with highest honors, University of Washington School of Law, where he was managing editor of the Washington Law Review; B.A. degree, Pacific Lutheran University
Cannot Attend The Live Presentation?
This presentation is also available in a recorded format, in CD version, as shown in the pricing options below.
|About Webcasts / Audio Conferences / Podcasts:|
Webcasts, audio conferences, and podcasts are presentations that you
attend via the Internet, phone, or mobile device at a specified date and time for "live" versions, or at your convenience for "recorded" and "On-Demand" versions.
versions are interactive, meaning that participants can ask questions in real time, plus are a very cost-effective form of training because 1) you receive fast, convenient learning without
any out-of-office time; 2) you can invite as many colleagues as you'd like to listen in on a single phone line; 3) you incur no travel expenses; and 4) you and your colleagues are back
at work immediately after the session ends!
And though with recorded versions you do lose the ability to ask questions, you gain the ability to hear the presentation numerous
times and to share it with others in your office.
Handout materials and the phone number for live presentations are made available to you prior to the event via email from the
presenter and from the "MyAccount" link on the menu bar. Copies of the presentations are included with recorded versions.
|About The Provider:
||Lorman Education Services has provided educational seminars and online training for professionals since 1987.
Since then, we've kept thousands of professionals in the United States and internationally current on the most pressing topics in a rapidly changing marketplace of ideas. Like you, we understand the need for concise, accurate information.
That understanding underlies each Lorman course, presenting the latest information on the laws and regulations critical to your organization's successful daily operations.
Moreover, each course receives our painstaking attention to be certain both the faculty and participants receive the individual attention necessary to achieve maximum benefit from the materials.
||Contact Us For More Information
|Order:||Qty: Select State: |
||Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Assertiveness Skills For HR Professionals
Certificate Program In FMLA &ADA Compliance
Internal Investigations Certificate Program
Certificate Program For HR Generalists
Strategic HR Leadership Certificate Program
Payroll Issues For Deceased Employees
Company Ethics: How To Set The Tone As A Leader
Garnishments, Child Support Orders, And Other Levies
Payroll Records: What To Keep, What To Toss
How Workers′ Compensation Works (Comprehensive 11-Module Course)
How To Use PTO To Reduce Absenteeism
How To Document Your Payroll Procedures
HRCI / SHRM 60 Hour Re-Certification Training Suite
SOX Requirements For Payroll
Dealing with Difficult People
Bring Our Training Courses To Your Location