Jeopardizing Exempt Status
|Date / Time:
|Order:||Qty: Select State: |
Don't get caught making mistakes when it comes to exempt employees. Learn the complex issues you can face to avoid costly mistakes. Once exempt under the Fair Labor Standards Act, employees do not necessarily remain exempt for the duration of their employment.
Actions taken, or not taken, by employers can and do jeopardize the exemptions claimed, leading unknowing employers down the path to potentially ruinous liability for unpaid minimum wages and overtime. This live webinar is designed to help you identify issues which jeopardize exempt status and correct them.
The webinar will also address certain myths regarding what you can and cannot do. The topics to be covered will include payment on a salary basis, permissible and impermissible deductions from salary, supplementing salary with additional payments, reducing salaries or hours, required use of paid time off, performing nonexempt work and more.
Overview of Fair Labor Standards Act and State Laws
Mistakes Employers Make That Jeopardize Exempt Status
- Minimum Wage and Overtime Obligations
Best Practices for Avoiding Mistakes
- Deductions From Pay for Personal Absences, Sickness or Disability, Misconduct, Lack of Work or Civic Responsibilities
- Partial Day Deductions vs. Full Day Deductions
- Additional Duties
- Pay or Compensation in Addition to Salary
- Substitution of Paid Leave
- Periodic Reductions in Pay and Hours
- Payment of Fees in Lieu of Salary
- Recoupment of Overpayments or Charges for Damages to Company Property
About The Presenters
- Deduction Procedures
- Safe Harbor Provisions
Patrick M. Madden
Michael A. Pavlick
- Partner and co-chair of the International Labor and Employment Practice Group at K&L Gates LLP
- Advises employers on labor and employment issues, including wage and hour payment, and compliance and compensation plan design, assists employers responding to agency investigations, and represents employers in wage and hour, discrimination, and other lawsuits at the state and federal levels
- Worked on more than a hundred state, regional and national wage and hour class actions, including lawsuits involving wage calculation and payment issues, entitlement to overtime and benefits, off-the-clock claims, challenges to exempt status and claims to employee status
- Listed as a top labor and employment attorney in The Best Lawyers in America and Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, a Super Lawyer in Washington Law & Politics, one of the 29 Washington State litigation stars by Benchmark Litigation, and a leading employment lawyer in Seattle Business and Seattle Metropolitan magazines
- Frequently speaks, writes, and testifies on wage and hour and wage payment issues
- J.D. degree, with highest honors, University of Washington School of Law, where he was managing editor of the Washington Law Review; B.A. degree, Pacific Lutheran University
- Partner in the Pittsburgh office at K&L Gates LLP, and a member of the International Labor and Employment Practice Group and co-coordinator of the group’s Publications and Presentations Committee
- Advises employers nationwide on a wide variety of labor and employment compliance, regulatory, best practice and litigation issues, including wage and hour matters arising from the federal Fair Labor Standards Act and related state and local laws
- Counsels clients on concerns related to the classification of employees, including the exempt vs. nonexempt determination and compensation decisions
- Regularly speaks on wage and hour issues
- Listed as a top labor employment attorney in The Best Lawyers in America, including being named as Best Lawyers 2012 Lawyer of the Year in Litigation – Labor and Employment, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- J.D. degree, Order of the Coif, Case Western Reserve University School of Law, where he was executive editor of the Law Review; B.A. degree, Drew University
Cannot Attend The Live Presentation?
This presentation is also available in a recorded format, in CD version, as shown in the pricing options below.
|About Webcasts / Audio Conferences / Podcasts:|
Webcasts, audio conferences, and podcasts are presentations that you
attend via the Internet, phone, or mobile device at a specified date and time for "live" versions, or at your convenience for "recorded" and "On-Demand" versions.
versions are interactive, meaning that participants can ask questions in real time, plus are a very cost-effective form of training because 1) you receive fast, convenient learning without
any out-of-office time; 2) you can invite as many colleagues as you'd like to listen in on a single phone line; 3) you incur no travel expenses; and 4) you and your colleagues are back
at work immediately after the session ends!
And though with recorded versions you do lose the ability to ask questions, you gain the ability to hear the presentation numerous
times and to share it with others in your office.
Handout materials and the phone number for live presentations are made available to you prior to the event via email from the
presenter and from the "MyAccount" link on the menu bar. Copies of the presentations are included with recorded versions.
|About The Provider:
||Lorman Education Services has provided educational seminars and online training for professionals since 1987.
Since then, we've kept thousands of professionals in the United States and internationally current on the most pressing topics in a rapidly changing marketplace of ideas. Like you, we understand the need for concise, accurate information.
That understanding underlies each Lorman course, presenting the latest information on the laws and regulations critical to your organization's successful daily operations.
Moreover, each course receives our painstaking attention to be certain both the faculty and participants receive the individual attention necessary to achieve maximum benefit from the materials.
||Contact Us For More Information
|Order:||Qty: Select State: |
||Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Certificate Program For HR Generalists
Garnishments, Child Support Orders, And Other Levies
How Workers′ Compensation Works (Comprehensive 11-Module Course)
Assertiveness Skills For HR Professionals
Certificate Program In FMLA &ADA Compliance
How To Use PTO To Reduce Absenteeism
Managing Emotions Under Pressure
Internal Investigations Certificate Program
How To Document Your Payroll Procedures
HRCI / SHRM 60 Hour Re-Certification Training Suite
Company Ethics: How To Set The Tone As A Leader
SOX Requirements For Payroll
Payroll Records: What To Keep, What To Toss
Strategic HR Leadership Certificate Program
Dealing with Difficult People
Bring Our Training Courses To Your Location