Background Checks: Top 10 Do's and Don’t's
|Date / Time:
|Order:||Qty: Select State: |
An ever-increasing number of employers are recognizing the benefits that can be derived from conducting background checks on both current and prospective employees.
While background checks can be an effective tool for weeding out questionable employees, legal limitations on how such checks can be performed (and how the resulting data discovered can be used) must be understood or otherwise an employer will find itself defending against its own illegal actions.
This webinar will discuss generally the kinds of background checks that can be conducted by employers, and likewise address the various legal restrictions (primarily under federal and state law) applicable to performing background checks; and related limitations placed on how acquired background information can be legally used for the benefit of the employer.
Much of these latter discussions will be focused on the guidelines for conducting criminal background checks recently issued by the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and the recent trend in many states of placing limits on when criminal background information can be obtained from candidates for employment through enacted "Ban the Box" laws.
Finally, the increasing use of social media outlets to conduct background checks will also be examined, along with the potential legal risks and pitfalls of utilizing such media outlets to perform background checks.
Legal Limitations on Background Checks
The Downside of Not Performing Background Checks
- The Federal Fair Credit Reporting Act
- Common-Law Privacy Restrictions and Other State Statutory Limitations on the Use of Criminal Conviction and Arrest Records
- The Civil Rights Acts of 1964 and 1991 and Other Anti-Discrimination Laws
- EEOC Guidelines on Conducting Background Checks
- The Ever Increasing Use of "Ban the Box" Laws
Use of Social Media Sites to Conduct Background Checks
- Claims of Negligent Hiring of Employees
- Claims of Negligent Retention of Employees
- Other Possible Common-Law Tort Actions
About The Presenter
- Privacy Issues and Other Legal Restrictions on Use
- Risks of Use, and Best Practices and Policies to Minimize Risk
Ralph R. Smith, 3rd, Esq.
- Shareholder and vice chairman of the Labor and Employment Department of the law firm of Capehart & Scatchard, P.A.
- Concentrates practice in the areas of labor and employment law, and complex commercial litigation
- Represents companies in all kinds of labor and employment-related litigation in the federal and state courts of New Jersey and Pennsylvania
- Regularly counsels clients on issues of compliance with both federal and state employment laws, including those that impact the area of employee background checks and dealing with arrested employees
- Lectures widely and writes frequently in the field of labor and employment law
- Served as an adjunct professor at The Widener University Graduate School of Business, teaching labor and employment law
- Member of the New Jersey Federal Bar Association; the New Jersey State Bar Association; the Historical Society of the U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey; and the Camden County Bar Association, Labor and Employment Committee
- Former barrister instructor for the Camden County Inns of Court; former board member and legislative chair of the Society of Human Resource Management, Philadelphia Chapter; and a qualified mediator for the New Jersey Superior Court
- J.D. degree, cum laude, Temple University School of Law; B.A. degree, magna cum laude, Temple University
Cannot Attend The Live Presentation?
This presentation is also available in a recorded format, in CD version, as shown in the pricing options below.
|About Webcasts / Audio Conferences / Podcasts:|
Webcasts, audio conferences, and podcasts are presentations that you
attend via the Internet, phone, or mobile device at a specified date and time for "live" versions, or at your convenience for "recorded" and "On-Demand" versions.
versions are interactive, meaning that participants can ask questions in real time, plus are a very cost-effective form of training because 1) you receive fast, convenient learning without
any out-of-office time; 2) you can invite as many colleagues as you'd like to listen in on a single phone line; 3) you incur no travel expenses; and 4) you and your colleagues are back
at work immediately after the session ends!
And though with recorded versions you do lose the ability to ask questions, you gain the ability to hear the presentation numerous
times and to share it with others in your office.
Handout materials and the phone number for live presentations are made available to you prior to the event via email from the
presenter and from the "MyAccount" link on the menu bar. Copies of the presentations are included with recorded versions.
|About The Provider:
||Lorman Education Services has provided educational seminars and online training for professionals since 1987.
Since then, we've kept thousands of professionals in the United States and internationally current on the most pressing topics in a rapidly changing marketplace of ideas. Like you, we understand the need for concise, accurate information.
That understanding underlies each Lorman course, presenting the latest information on the laws and regulations critical to your organization's successful daily operations.
Moreover, each course receives our painstaking attention to be certain both the faculty and participants receive the individual attention necessary to achieve maximum benefit from the materials.
||Contact Us For More Information
|Order:||Qty: Select State: |
||Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Serious Complaint or Employee Drama?
Guidelines For Taxing Gifts, Awards, &Other Fringe Benefits
How To Supervise Employees Who Don′t Get Along
Certificate Program For HR Generalists
Workers′ Comp 101: The Whats, Whens, And Whys
Motivate Or Terminate
Internal Investigations Certificate Program
Advanced Internal Investigations Certificate Program
Certificate Program In FMLA &ADA Compliance
IRS Rules For Inpat &Expat Payroll
Paycheck Fundamentals Training &Certification Program
What To Do When Applicants Or Employees Have A Criminal History
Strategic HR Leadership Certificate Program
Certificate In Essentials Of Human Resource Management Seminar
How To Coach Up Or Counsel Out Problem Employees
Certificate In Employee Relations Law Seminar