Employee Discipline for Conduct Outside of Work
|Date / Time:
In this informative webinar you will learn the legal rights and responsibilities of employers in disciplining employees for conduct outside of work.
You will hear about recent legislation and court cases involving some of the hottest topics in employment law, including employee discipline for blogging, web-based employer trashing, workplace dating and extramarital affairs, and physical appearance issues such as weight, tattoos, and body piercing.
You'll also hear about permissible discipline for employees violating conflict of interest policies, including engaging in unfair competition with the employer. Significantly, this webinar will discuss how a growing number of states are protecting employee off-duty conduct by providing an overview of state employee lifestyle statutes.
Discipline for Conduct Outside Workplace Generally
Discipline Based on Speech
- Required Connection to the Workplace
- Overview of State Lifestyle Statutes
Discipline Based on Lifestyle Choices
- Blogging and Web-Based Employer Trashing
Discipline Based on Conflicts of Interest
- Political Activity
- Dating and Extramarital Affairs
- Criminal, Financial and Litigation History
- Use of Drugs and Alcohol
- Activities Related to Sexual Orientation
- Physical Appearance (Weight, Tattoos, Piercings, Dress, etc.)
- Other Lifestyle Choices
Discipline of Union Employees
- Unfair Competition With Employer
- Disclosure of Trade Secret, Confidential or Proprietary Information
About The Presenters
- Off-Duty Misconduct Away From Workplace and on Company Premises
- Off-Duty Misconduct Prior to Employment
- Criminal Proceedings Against Employee
Timothy A. Palmer
James A. (Jay) Patton, Jr., Esq.
- Shareholder with Ogletree, Deakins, Nash, Smoak & Stewart, P.C. in both its Nashville, Tennessee and Birmingham, Alabama offices
- Practice focuses on the defense of employment litigation including discrimination claims, defense of personnel actions, and defense of employee benefit disputes
- Experienced litigator concentrating in both employment litigation and general civil litigation in state and federal courts
- Frequent speaker lecturing on jury selection procedures and employment litigation
- Has been selected as one of America’s leading business lawyers in labor and employment by Chambers USA
- Member of the prestigious College of Labor and Employment Lawyers, Best Lawyers of America and is a Super Lawyer
- J.D. degree, Vanderbilt University School of Law; B.A. degree, summa cum laude, Lipscomb University
- Attorney in the national employment law firm of Ogletree, Deakins, Nash, Smoak & Stewart, P.C. in the Birmingham, Alabama, office
- Exclusively represents management in employment law related matters and related litigation
- Experience representing employers in employment-related litigation on federal, state, and local levels before court and administrative agencies regarding claims concerning discrimination, harassment, wrongful discharge, and wage and hour violations, including collective actions
- Frequent lecturer in the areas of employment discrimination and noncompete agreements
- Member of the Defense Research Institute and one of the writers of the Defense Research Institute’s Jury Charge E-Desk Reference
- Served as an officer in the U.S. Army and worked in manufacturing and sales roles
- Alabama Super Lawyer
- J.D. degree, The University of Alabama School of Law; B.S. degree, U.S. Military Academy at West Point
Cannot Attend The Live Presentation?
This presentation is also available in a recorded format, in CD version, as shown in the pricing options below.
|About Webcasts / Audio Conferences / Podcasts:|
Webcasts, audio conferences, and podcasts are presentations that you
attend via the Internet, phone, or mobile device at a specified date and time for "live" versions, or at your convenience for "recorded" and "On-Demand" versions.
versions are interactive, meaning that participants can ask questions in real time, plus are a very cost-effective form of training because 1) you receive fast, convenient learning without
any out-of-office time; 2) you can invite as many colleagues as you'd like to listen in on a single phone line; 3) you incur no travel expenses; and 4) you and your colleagues are back
at work immediately after the session ends!
And though with recorded versions you do lose the ability to ask questions, you gain the ability to hear the presentation numerous
times and to share it with others in your office.
Handout materials and the phone number for live presentations are made available to you prior to the event via email from the
presenter and from the "MyAccount" link on the menu bar. Copies of the presentations are included with recorded versions.
|About The Provider:
||Lorman Education Services has provided educational seminars and online training for professionals since 1987.
Since then, we've kept thousands of professionals in the United States and internationally current on the most pressing topics in a rapidly changing marketplace of ideas. Like you, we understand the need for concise, accurate information.
That understanding underlies each Lorman course, presenting the latest information on the laws and regulations critical to your organization's successful daily operations.
Moreover, each course receives our painstaking attention to be certain both the faculty and participants receive the individual attention necessary to achieve maximum benefit from the materials.
||Contact Us For More Information
||Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Reasonable Accommodation - Impairment
IRS Rules For Travel Pay
How To Write Clear, Concise, And Compliant Job Descriptions
Payroll Operations Academy
Garnishments, Child Support Orders and Other Levies
Internal Investigations Certificate Program
How To Drive HR Strategy
How To Get Your Managers To Cooperate With HR
Dealing with Difficult People
HR′s Guide To Medical Marijuana In The Workplace
Personnel Records: What To Keep, What To Toss
Creative - And Free - Ways To Use LinkedIn As A Recruiting Tool
Certificate Program For HR Generalists
IRS Rules For Work Visas
How to Supervise People Seminar
Certificate Program In FMLA &ADA Compliance