Implications of Medical Marijuana in the Workplace
|Date / Time:
Currently, 23 states and the District of Columbia have passed laws dealing with medical marijuana. The laws vary from state to state and offer differing levels of protections to users of medical marijuana.
Based on the recent trends of legalization of recreational marijuana in Colorado, Washington, Oregon and Alaska (District of Columbia still requires Congressional approval) the likelihood that employers will be forced to deal with employees using medical marijuana and/or recreational marijuana is on the rise. Such use raises many potential employment concerns such as the potential impact on drug testing policies, whether employers need to accommodate medical marijuana use and whether employers can or should discipline employees for use of medical marijuana.
This webinar helps the persons responsible for dealing with these employment concerns understand the varying state law requirements and the true impact of medical marijuana in the workplace. While medical marijuana adds one more potential headache for employers, this live webinar will provide employers with effective strategies for dealing with the haze caused by medical marijuana.
State Laws Dealing With Medical Marijuana and Case Law Interpretations of Same
Drug Testing and Implications of Positive Tests
- Variations Among State Laws That Permit Medical Marijuana
- Guidance From Courts Regarding Medical Marijuana Laws
- Conflict Between State Law and Federal Law Regarding Medical Marijuana
Duty to Accommodate Under the ADA
- Do Employers Need to Change Their Drug Testing Policies Regarding Marijuana?
- What Does It Mean to Be Under the Influence of Marijuana?
Disciplining Employees for Medical Marijuana Use
- Do Employers Have to Accommodate Marijuana Use at Work?
- Continued Need to Accommodate the Underlying Disability
About The Presenters
- Importance of Having Clear and Enforced Policies
- Off-Duty vs. on the Job Conduct
- Impact of Safety Considerations on Discipline Decisions
Michael W. Groebe
- Senior counsel and employment attorney with Foley & Lardner LLP
- Advises employers in all aspects of labor and employment law and is a member of the firm’s Labor & Employment Practice, the Automotive Industry Team, and the Trade Secret/Non-Compete Specialty Practice
- Was selected for inclusion in the 2011, 2013 and 2014 Michigan Super Lawyers – Rising Stars® editions
- Frequent presenter and writer regarding the topic of medical marijuana’s impact on employers as well as many other employment-related topics including noncompetes, trade secrets and the Worker Adjustment & Retraining Notification (WARN) Act
- An active member of the Oakland County Bar Association, a Fellow of the Oakland County Bar Foundation, a member of the Detroit Metropolitan Bar Association (DMBA) and a former barrister for the DMBA Inn of Court
- J.D. degree, University of Michigan; B.A. degree in political science, with high distinction, University of Michigan
Cannot Attend The Live Presentation?
This presentation is also available in a recorded format, in CD version, as shown in the pricing options below.
|About Webcasts / Audio Conferences / Podcasts:|
Webcasts, audio conferences, and podcasts are presentations that you
attend via the Internet, phone, or mobile device at a specified date and time for "live" versions, or at your convenience for "recorded" and "On-Demand" versions.
versions are interactive, meaning that participants can ask questions in real time, plus are a very cost-effective form of training because 1) you receive fast, convenient learning without
any out-of-office time; 2) you can invite as many colleagues as you'd like to listen in on a single phone line; 3) you incur no travel expenses; and 4) you and your colleagues are back
at work immediately after the session ends!
And though with recorded versions you do lose the ability to ask questions, you gain the ability to hear the presentation numerous
times and to share it with others in your office.
Handout materials and the phone number for live presentations are made available to you prior to the event via email from the
presenter and from the "MyAccount" link on the menu bar. Copies of the presentations are included with recorded versions.
|About The Provider:
||Lorman Education Services has provided educational seminars and online training for professionals since 1987.
Since then, we've kept thousands of professionals in the United States and internationally current on the most pressing topics in a rapidly changing marketplace of ideas. Like you, we understand the need for concise, accurate information.
That understanding underlies each Lorman course, presenting the latest information on the laws and regulations critical to your organization's successful daily operations.
Moreover, each course receives our painstaking attention to be certain both the faculty and participants receive the individual attention necessary to achieve maximum benefit from the materials.
||Contact Us For More Information
||Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Serious Complaint or Employee Drama?
Guidelines For Taxing Gifts, Awards, &Other Fringe Benefits
How To Supervise Employees Who Don′t Get Along
Certificate Program For HR Generalists
Workers′ Comp 101: The Whats, Whens, And Whys
How To Stop Toxic Employees From Side-Tracking Your Company
Agile Basics For HR
Motivate Or Terminate
Internal Investigations Certificate Program
Advanced Internal Investigations Certificate Program
What To Do When Applicants Or Employees Have A Criminal History
How To Coach Up Or Counsel Out Problem Employees
Certificate Program In FMLA &ADA Compliance
Strategic HR Leadership Certificate Program
Payroll Records: What To Keep, What To Toss
Bring Our Training Courses To Your Location