Payroll Issues of Domestic Partners and Same-Sex Spouses
|Date / Time:
Same-sex spouses and domestic partnerships continue to be a developing area of the law since the Supreme Court decision in United States v. Windsor. This held that Section 3 of the Defense of Marriage Act [DOMA] was unconstitutional.
The total number of states that recognize same-sex marriage has almost reached 40 states and the Supreme Court will be hearing another case on the issue.
This webinar reviews: What is the impact of the court decisions? What spousal benefits are addressed under ERISA and the Code? Must employers provide benefits for same-sex spouses? What is the tax withholding and reporting impact? How does the growth in state recognition of same-sex marriage impact benefits?
Employers that fail to review their payroll practices run the risk of under reporting income and owing federal and state penalties for failure to properly withhold and report income. Employers also run a risk of employee complaints if the value of benefits is included in income when it is exempt under federal or state income tax.
- Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA)
- Supreme Court Decision – U.S. v. Windsor
- Subsequent Court Decisions
- ERISA and Same-Sex Marriage
- Internal Revenue Code and Same-Sex Marriage
Benefits for Same-Sex Spouses and Domestic Partners
- Same-Sex Marriages
- Civil Unions
- Domestic Partnerships
Federal Taxation of Benefits
- Health Benefits
- Welfare Benefits
- Retirement Plans
- Nonqualified Plans
- Benefits Not Subject to ERISA
State Taxation of Benefits
- Same-Sex Spouses
- Domestic Partners
- States With No Income Tax
- States With Income Tax That Recognize Same-Sex Spouses or Domestic Partners
- States With Income Tax That Do Not Recognize Same-Sex Spouses or Domestic Partners
Form W-2 Reporting
- Methods for Valuing Health Benefits
About The Presenters:
- Income Tax Reporting on Form W-2
Timothy D.S. Goodman
- Partner with the law firm of Dorsey & Whitney LLP
- Advises employers on wellness programs and health plans, and on retirement plans and executive compensation
- Advises employers on DOL, IRS and EEOC guidance on wellness programs, responding to benefit claims, answering questions regarding the extension of health coverage under COBRA and state law, and COBRA subsidies
- Advises employers on severance, benefit matters related to reductions in force, retirement plan corrections and compliance, and deferred compensation
- Focuses on hospital and health care employers, agricultural and cooperative employers, and tax-exempt employers
- Former president of the Midwest Pension Conference and the Minneapolis Pension Council
- Member of the American Bar Association’s Tax and Labor and Employment Sections, and the Minnesota State Bar Association’s Employee Benefits Section and Tax Section
- Frequent speaker on health care reform, wellness, benefit and compensation topics
- Attorney at Dorsey & Whitney LLP
- Advises employers on retirement plans, welfare plans and executive compensation
- Focuses on equity compensation issues and nonqualified deferred compensation arrangements
Cannot Attend The Live Presentation?
This presentation is also available in a recorded format, in CD version, as shown in the pricing options below.
|About Webcasts / Audio Conferences / Podcasts:|
Webcasts, audio conferences, and podcasts are presentations that you
attend via the Internet, phone, or mobile device at a specified date and time for "live" versions, or at your convenience for "recorded" and "On-Demand" versions.
versions are interactive, meaning that participants can ask questions in real time, plus are a very cost-effective form of training because 1) you receive fast, convenient learning without
any out-of-office time; 2) you can invite as many colleagues as you'd like to listen in on a single phone line; 3) you incur no travel expenses; and 4) you and your colleagues are back
at work immediately after the session ends!
And though with recorded versions you do lose the ability to ask questions, you gain the ability to hear the presentation numerous
times and to share it with others in your office.
Handout materials and the phone number for live presentations are made available to you prior to the event via email from the
presenter and from the "MyAccount" link on the menu bar. Copies of the presentations are included with recorded versions.
|About The Provider:
||Lorman Education Services has provided educational seminars and online training for professionals since 1987.
Since then, we've kept thousands of professionals in the United States and internationally current on the most pressing topics in a rapidly changing marketplace of ideas. Like you, we understand the need for concise, accurate information.
That understanding underlies each Lorman course, presenting the latest information on the laws and regulations critical to your organization's successful daily operations.
Moreover, each course receives our painstaking attention to be certain both the faculty and participants receive the individual attention necessary to achieve maximum benefit from the materials.
||Contact Us For More Information
||Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Serious Complaint or Employee Drama?
How To Stop Toxic Employees From Side-Tracking Your Company
Guidelines For Taxing Gifts, Awards, &Other Fringe Benefits
How To Supervise Employees Who Don′t Get Along
Certificate Program For HR Generalists
Workers′ Comp 101: The Whats, Whens, And Whys
Agile Basics For HR
Motivate Or Terminate
Internal Investigations Certificate Program
Advanced Internal Investigations Certificate Program
Payroll Records: What To Keep, What To Toss
How To Coach Up Or Counsel Out Problem Employees
Certificate Program In FMLA &ADA Compliance
Strategic HR Leadership Certificate Program
Certificate In Essentials Of Human Resource Management Seminar
Certificate In Employee Relations Law Seminar