Top Ten Best Practices For Managing FMLA Leave
|Date / Time:
The majority of employees nationally now qualify to take leave under the Family and Medical Leave Act (the FMLA). Each year tens of millions do. Understanding the regulations implementing this statute is the first step to both compliance and managing employees use of FMLA leave. Notice and Recordkeeping IssuesCertifications, Clarifications and Recertifications - a Quick How toPaid vs. Unpaid LeaveForeseeability, Intermittent Leave and Reduced Scheduling IssuesMilitary Service and the FMLAThe Interplay Between FMLA, ADA and Workers’ Compensation LeavesRecommended Changes to Your Leave and Notice PoliciesHow to Investigate and Discipline Fraudulent FMLA Use and Manage RiskThe End Game – Return-to-Work and Termination IssuesAbout The Presenters
Join us to learn best practices for administering your FMLA leave program and coordinating it with your other types of leave. Mastery of these tools, together with proper and consistent application of your leave program, is the key to mitigating your risk of FMLA lawsuits, managing leave usage, and preventing abuse.
The Basics - a Quick Overview of the FMLA Statute
Eric D. Chapman
James K. Cowan, Jr., Esq.
- Attorney with CowanPerry, PC and Washington & Lee University School of Law, JD, 2013, magna cum laude
- Practice focuses in the areas of business litigation, employment law, and corporate transactions
- Represents clients in Virginia and North Carolina where he is actively licensed to practice
- Experienced in evaluating and analyzing employment law claims, including E.E.O.C., ADA, Title VII, and ADEA.
- Member of the Virginia State Bar; North Carolina State Bar; the Ted Dalton American Inns of Court; and Board Member of the New River Valley Chapter of Mental Health America
- Appointed in 2014 as the 27th Circuit Representative for the Virginia State Bar Association’s Young Lawyers Conference
Brian S. Wheeler
- Chairman and founder of CowanPerry, PC in Blacksburg and Roanoke, Virgina
- Practice focuses on labor and employment counsel, and litigation
- Represents a number of employers in the mid-Atlantic region, ranging from high-tech start-ups to large manufacturers
- 18 years litigation experience in federal and state courts across Virginia defending wrongful discharge claims, claims for relief under the Family Medical Leave Act and Fair Labor Standards Act, disability discrimination claims under the Americans with Disabilities Act, age discrimination claims under the Age Discrimination in Employment Act, and claims of sexual harassment, and race and gender discrimination under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964
- Focuses on assisting clients with compliance obligations under the FLSA, FMLA, ADA, ADEA, Title VII, and Executive Order 11246 compliance, including preparation of affirmative action plans and responding to OFCCP audits
- Frequent speaker and corporate trainer for companies on sexual harassment, employment discrimination, FMLA and ADA compliance, the Fair Labor Standards Act, diversity and affirmative action, conducting workplace investigations, hiring and firing, and union free management
- Member of the Virginia State Bar; the Virginia Bar Association, Labor Relations and Employment Law Section; board member for the New River Valley Society for Human Resource Management; currently serves as general counsel to the New River Valley Economic Development Alliance, and as chairman of the New River Valley Regional Executive Council
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America®, Labor and Employment Law; selected as a Virginia Super Lawyer in Employment and Labor
- Attorney with CowanPerry, PC
- Practice focuses on complex commercial litigation including employment and energy matters
- Represents a number of mid-size to Fortune 500 employers in Virginia, West Virginia and Tennessee where he is actively licensed to practice
- 10 years in federal and state courts across Virginia, Tennessee and West Virginia defending breach of contract claims, product liability claims, wrongful discharge claims, age discrimination claims under the Age Discrimination in Employment Act, claims for relief under the Family Medical Leave Act and Fair Labor Standards Act, and claims of sexual harassment, and race and gender discrimination under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964
- Member of the Virginia Bar Association; and member of the New River Valley Society for Human Resource Management
- Listed as a Virginia Super Lawyer Rising Star in Commercial Litigation, 2010
Cannot Attend The Live Presentation?
This presentation is also available in a recorded format, in CD version, as shown in the pricing options below.
|About Webcasts / Audio Conferences / Podcasts:|
Webcasts, audio conferences, and podcasts are presentations that you
attend via the Internet, phone, or mobile device at a specified date and time for "live" versions, or at your convenience for "recorded" and "On-Demand" versions.
versions are interactive, meaning that participants can ask questions in real time, plus are a very cost-effective form of training because 1) you receive fast, convenient learning without
any out-of-office time; 2) you can invite as many colleagues as you'd like to listen in on a single phone line; 3) you incur no travel expenses; and 4) you and your colleagues are back
at work immediately after the session ends!
And though with recorded versions you do lose the ability to ask questions, you gain the ability to hear the presentation numerous
times and to share it with others in your office.
Handout materials and the phone number for live presentations are made available to you prior to the event via email from the
presenter and from the "MyAccount" link on the menu bar. Copies of the presentations are included with recorded versions.
|About The Provider:
||Lorman Education Services has provided educational seminars and online training for professionals since 1987.
Since then, we've kept thousands of professionals in the United States and internationally current on the most pressing topics in a rapidly changing marketplace of ideas. Like you, we understand the need for concise, accurate information.
That understanding underlies each Lorman course, presenting the latest information on the laws and regulations critical to your organization's successful daily operations.
Moreover, each course receives our painstaking attention to be certain both the faculty and participants receive the individual attention necessary to achieve maximum benefit from the materials.
||Contact Us For More Information
||Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Assertiveness Skills For HR Professionals
Certificate Program In FMLA &ADA Compliance
Internal Investigations Certificate Program
Certificate Program For HR Generalists
Strategic HR Leadership Certificate Program
Payroll Issues For Deceased Employees
Company Ethics: How To Set The Tone As A Leader
Garnishments, Child Support Orders, And Other Levies
Payroll Records: What To Keep, What To Toss
How Workers′ Compensation Works (Comprehensive 11-Module Course)
How To Use PTO To Reduce Absenteeism
How To Document Your Payroll Procedures
HRCI / SHRM 60 Hour Re-Certification Training Suite
SOX Requirements For Payroll
Dealing with Difficult People
Bring Our Training Courses To Your Location