Employment Law Update in Ohio
|Date / Time:
Many employers are not as knowledgeable of unique Ohio employment laws as they are about federal employment laws. This can lead to unpleasant surprises when a lawsuit is filed asserting claims which arise under Ohio law or when the employer attempts to assert rights which do not exist or are limited under Ohio law.
This webinar will focus exclusively upon employment laws which exist only under Ohio law. For instance, some employers are not subject to the federal wage laws, but are subject to Ohio wage laws. Some employers are exempt from both federal and state wage laws. While employment is generally at-will, there are exceptions for when the discharge violates public policy. State law determines whether a public policy exists and whether it can support an employment lawsuit. While most contracts are enforceable on their terms, some contracts are subject to state laws which may affect their enforceability, such as whether the employer has a sufficient protectable interest to support a non-compete agreement.
Finally, there have been recent changes which can increase unemployment insurance liability depending on whether an employer responds to a claim for unemployment insurance.
Ohio's Minimum and Overtime Wage Compensation
Avoiding Claims for Whistle-Blowing and Wrongful Discharge in Violation of Public Policy
- How It Is Similar and Differs From Federal Law in Coverage and Amount
- Employer Coverage Is Broader
- Minimum Wage Is Higher and Default Is Federal Minimum Wage
- Different Coverage Test for Minimum Wage and Overtime Wage
- Whether White Collar Overtime Exemptions Exist Under Ohio Law
- What Happens If Employees Are Retaliated Against for Making Wage Claims
- Ohio's Wage Payment and Collection Law
Employment Agreement Issues
- Statutory and Common Law Exceptions to Employment at Will
- What Has Been Recognized as Whistle-Blower Claims and Valid Public Policy
- What Has Been Rejectedas Whistle-Blower Claims and Invalid Public Policy
How to Minimize Unemployment Compensation Costs
- Trade Secrets/Noncompetes/Tortious Interference
- Promissory Estoppel; Breach of Contract
About The Presenter
- Promptly Answering Odjfs Inquiries
- How to Properly Discharge Employees for Misconduct and Incompetence
- More than 20 years of experience advising and consulting with management in organizations of all sizes and in a variety of industries and sectors concerning compliance with state and federal employment laws, the investigation of workplace problems, and the prevention and resolution of workplace disputes
- Frequent speaker and writer on employment topics
- Wrote, FYI: Central Ohio Employment Law Update blog
- Received the highest rating in the Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory, Superb Avvo Rating and included as a Top Lawyer in Columbus CEO Magazine
- Ohio State Bar Association Labor & Employment Section Council
- J.D. degree, summa cum laude, The Ohio State University College of Law.
Cannot Attend The Live Presentation?
This presentation is also available in a recorded format, in CD version, as shown in the pricing options below.
|About Webcasts / Audio Conferences / Podcasts:|
Webcasts, audio conferences, and podcasts are presentations that you
attend via the Internet, phone, or mobile device at a specified date and time for "live" versions, or at your convenience for "recorded" and "On-Demand" versions.
versions are interactive, meaning that participants can ask questions in real time, plus are a very cost-effective form of training because 1) you receive fast, convenient learning without
any out-of-office time; 2) you can invite as many colleagues as you'd like to listen in on a single phone line; 3) you incur no travel expenses; and 4) you and your colleagues are back
at work immediately after the session ends!
And though with recorded versions you do lose the ability to ask questions, you gain the ability to hear the presentation numerous
times and to share it with others in your office.
Handout materials and the phone number for live presentations are made available to you prior to the event via email from the
presenter and from the "MyAccount" link on the menu bar. Copies of the presentations are included with recorded versions.
|About The Provider:
||Lorman Education Services has provided educational seminars and online training for professionals since 1987.
Since then, we've kept thousands of professionals in the United States and internationally current on the most pressing topics in a rapidly changing marketplace of ideas. Like you, we understand the need for concise, accurate information.
That understanding underlies each Lorman course, presenting the latest information on the laws and regulations critical to your organization's successful daily operations.
Moreover, each course receives our painstaking attention to be certain both the faculty and participants receive the individual attention necessary to achieve maximum benefit from the materials.
||Contact Us For More Information
||Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
How To Keep HR From Being The Employee Complaint Department
Reasonable Or Unreasonable Accommodation? How To Identify Disabilities And Handle Employee Issues - Without Violating The ADA
Workers′ Comp 101: The Whats, Whens, And Whys
Internal Investigations Certificate Program
Certificate Program For HR Generalists
Service Animals In The Workplace: What You Need To Know
Multi-State Payroll Tax Compliance
Visa (Non-Immigration) For Payroll Professionals
IRS Rules For Travel Pay
How To Get Your Managers To Cooperate With HR
How To Avoid Wrongful Termination Claims
Form I-9: Understanding The Anti-Discrimination Provisions Of The Law
Certificate Program In FMLA &ADA Compliance
Dealing with Difficult People
How To Communicate With Tact And Professionalism
Dress Code Policy Do′s and Don′ts