Using Medical Experts in Determining Leave Under ADA and FMLA
|Date / Time:
Many employers encompassed within the guidelines of the FMLA and ADA do not understand all of their rights and responsibilities with obtaining the required medical certifications accompanying the necessary paperwork of an eligible employees request for leave.
They also do not understand when it is beneficial to obtain medical recertification or employer health care provider second opinions to ensure employee safety on the job and to mitigate the expense of FMLA and ADA abuse in their workplace.
This topic helps the persons responsible for handling and processing FMLA and ADA paperwork to understand how to review employee medical certifications to ensure clarity and completeness in the health care providers documentation of the serious health condition and then to understand and know the proper procedures of when it becomes necessary to seek medical recertification or a second opinion from an employer health care provider.
Failing to understand the regulations set forth by the FMLA and ADA as they pertain to medical certifications recertifications and second opinions is one of the most common errors employers make in ensuring compliance with these acts. This workshop is critical for employers in ensuring the safety of their employees and customers but also to mitigate the rising expenses of FMLA and ADA abuse.
FMLA Medical Certifications, Recertifications and Second Opinions
Medical Certifications and Fit-For-Duty Evaluations Under the ADA
- When and How to Seek Employer Health Care Provider Second Opinions for FMLA Leave
- Relevant FMLA Regulations and Case Law Illustrating the Employer's Requirements in Obtaining Medical Certification and Recertification
- Employer Rights to Seek Employee Recertification of Med Cert for FMLA Leave
- Rights and Responsibilities When Accommodations Are Asked for in the Employment Application Process
- Mandatory Medical Evaluations – When Are They Allowed
- Reasonable Accommodations and Undue Hardships
About The Presenters
- Medical Expert Qualifications – When Can You Demand a Specialist
- Requiring a Company Doctor or EAP vs. Employee's Choice of Doctor
- Employee Objections
Neil M. Alexander
Cory Glen Walker
- Shareholder at Littler Mendelson P.C. Phoenix Office
- Trial attorney who regularly defends companies again claims involving the Age Discrimination in Employment Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Family and Medical Leave Act, Title VII, wrongful termination, unfair competition and trade secret violations, noncompetition agreements, whistle-blower and retaliation, harassment and discrimination
- Named The Best Lawyers in America, 2014, 2015 and 2016; named Top Arizona Lawyer by Arizona Business Magazine, 2009 and 2010
- Regularly contributes to articles in newspapers and magazines and writes publications for national trade association newsletters; he has been interviewed on national radio and is frequently quoted in national and regional publications
- Frequent keynote speaker for national and state trade associations, client internal events and client appreciation events regarding employment law updates, contingent workforce issues, and employment law compliance related topics
- Member, Board of Directors – State Council Arizona Society for Human Resources Management; member – Legislative Advisory Council National Association of Professional Employer Organizations
- J.D. degree, University of San Diego School of Law; B.A. degree, University of Washington
- Associate with Littler Mendelson P.C. with a focus on wage and hour and class actions
- Counsels and represents management clients, particularly in the hotel and gaming industries, in connection with a broad range of employment matters arising under state and federal law; he is particularly experienced with wage and hour class action litigation, wage and hour compliance counseling, Fair Labor Standards Act claims, and administrative charges
- Assisted with the writing and research for an extensive memorandum that addressed the implications of privilege with regard to internal wage and hour audits
- Provided clients with counseling on internal audits for compliance with overtime exemptions, with particular emphasis on computer professionals
- J.D. degree, cum laude, University of Michigan Law School; B.A. degree, cum laude, Brigham Young University
Cannot Attend The Live Presentation?
This presentation is also available in a recorded format, in CD version, as shown in the pricing options below.
|About Webcasts / Audio Conferences / Podcasts:|
Webcasts, audio conferences, and podcasts are presentations that you
attend via the Internet, phone, or mobile device at a specified date and time for "live" versions, or at your convenience for "recorded" and "On-Demand" versions.
versions are interactive, meaning that participants can ask questions in real time, plus are a very cost-effective form of training because 1) you receive fast, convenient learning without
any out-of-office time; 2) you can invite as many colleagues as you'd like to listen in on a single phone line; 3) you incur no travel expenses; and 4) you and your colleagues are back
at work immediately after the session ends!
And though with recorded versions you do lose the ability to ask questions, you gain the ability to hear the presentation numerous
times and to share it with others in your office.
Handout materials and the phone number for live presentations are made available to you prior to the event via email from the
presenter and from the "MyAccount" link on the menu bar. Copies of the presentations are included with recorded versions.
|About The Provider:
||Lorman Education Services has provided educational seminars and online training for professionals since 1987.
Since then, we've kept thousands of professionals in the United States and internationally current on the most pressing topics in a rapidly changing marketplace of ideas. Like you, we understand the need for concise, accurate information.
That understanding underlies each Lorman course, presenting the latest information on the laws and regulations critical to your organization's successful daily operations.
Moreover, each course receives our painstaking attention to be certain both the faculty and participants receive the individual attention necessary to achieve maximum benefit from the materials.
||Contact Us For More Information
||Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Certificate Program For HR Generalists
Garnishments, Child Support Orders, And Other Levies
How Workers′ Compensation Works (Comprehensive 11-Module Course)
Assertiveness Skills For HR Professionals
Certificate Program In FMLA &ADA Compliance
How To Use PTO To Reduce Absenteeism
Managing Emotions Under Pressure
Internal Investigations Certificate Program
How To Document Your Payroll Procedures
HRCI / SHRM 60 Hour Re-Certification Training Suite
Company Ethics: How To Set The Tone As A Leader
SOX Requirements For Payroll
Payroll Records: What To Keep, What To Toss
Strategic HR Leadership Certificate Program
Dealing with Difficult People
Bring Our Training Courses To Your Location