Avoiding and Preventing FLSA Collective Actions And State Wage Class Actions
|Date / Time:
Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) collective actions represented the largest category of class action filings in U.S. District Courts in the last fiscal year. Wage and hour actions permeate virtually all industries resulting in huge jury verdicts and settlements.
This topic will teach you how to avoid these disasters through effective preventive action, including attorney-client privileged audits of employee classification and off-the-clock work issues; how to identify and correct these problems before litigation; how to identify and address exempt to nonexempt conversions and back pay issues; and how to do the tough liability and damages analysis that can lead to cost-effective settlements with government or private plaintiffs when litigation is threatened.
This topic is critical for employers looking to make sure their "house" is in order before getting into costly litigation.
Common FLSA Collective Action Issues
White Collar Exemptions - FLSA
- Exempt vs. Nonexempt Employee
- Independent Contractor vs. Employee
- New DOL Administrative Interpretation of Independent Contractors
- Off-The-Clock Work
- Burden of Proof on Employer
- Attorneys' Fees to Prevailing Plaintiffs Drives These Cases
Identifying and Solving Problems Before Litigation
- New DOL Salary Rules
- Outside Sales
- Certain Computer Employees
- Highly Compensated
Exempt to Nonexempt Conversion
- Employee Classification Audits
- Wage and Hour Audits
- Supervisory Training Regarding What Constitutes Work Time, Off-The-Clock Work, Meal Periods and Breaks
- Communicating Audit Findings and Solutions to Upper Management
- Employee Issues With Change of Status
- Communicating the Conversion to Employees
- Settlement and Release Issues, and Back Pay
- Pre-Litigation Settlements With Government or Private Plaintiffs
About The Presenter
- Determine Probable Liability or Defenses
- Quantify Potential and Likely Damages
- Analyze Settlement Options
- Evaluate Policy Changes
- Partner in the office of SmithAmundsen
- Employment attorney handling immigration workplace enforcement, wage and hour issues and discrimination issues
- Routinely conducts seminars and workshops relating to I-9 audits, I-9 and E-Verify compliance, workplace enforcement, defense of governmental immigration related audits and defense of discrimination claims relating to immigration status
- Selected to the Illinois Super Lawyers list of "Rising Stars": 2010 to 2015
- Member: American Immigration Lawyers Association; Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM); Illinois Fox Valley SHRM; Illinois State Bar Association
Cannot Attend The Live Presentation?
This presentation is also available in a recorded format, in CD version, as shown in the pricing options below.
|About Webcasts / Audio Conferences / Podcasts:|
Webcasts, audio conferences, and podcasts are presentations that you
attend via the Internet, phone, or mobile device at a specified date and time for "live" versions, or at your convenience for "recorded" and "On-Demand" versions.
versions are interactive, meaning that participants can ask questions in real time, plus are a very cost-effective form of training because 1) you receive fast, convenient learning without
any out-of-office time; 2) you can invite as many colleagues as you'd like to listen in on a single phone line; 3) you incur no travel expenses; and 4) you and your colleagues are back
at work immediately after the session ends!
And though with recorded versions you do lose the ability to ask questions, you gain the ability to hear the presentation numerous
times and to share it with others in your office.
Handout materials and the phone number for live presentations are made available to you prior to the event via email from the
presenter and from the "MyAccount" link on the menu bar. Copies of the presentations are included with recorded versions.
|About The Provider:
||Lorman Education Services has provided educational seminars and online training for professionals since 1987.
Since then, we've kept thousands of professionals in the United States and internationally current on the most pressing topics in a rapidly changing marketplace of ideas. Like you, we understand the need for concise, accurate information.
That understanding underlies each Lorman course, presenting the latest information on the laws and regulations critical to your organization's successful daily operations.
Moreover, each course receives our painstaking attention to be certain both the faculty and participants receive the individual attention necessary to achieve maximum benefit from the materials.
||Contact Us For More Information
||Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
A Post-Election Survival Guide For Employers
Dress Code Policy Do′s and Don′ts
Internal Investigations Certificate Program
Garnishments, Child Support Orders, And Other Levies
Reasonable Or Unreasonable Accommodation? How To Identify Disabilities And Handle Employee Issues - Without Violating The ADA
Certificate Program In FMLA &ADA Compliance
Rules And Requirements For Employee Expense Reimbursements
Certificate Program For HR Generalists
How To Keep HR From Being The Employee Complaint Department
Assertiveness Skills For HR Professionals
HRCI / SHRM 60 Hour Re-Certification Training Suite
IRS Rules For Travel Pay
How To Deal With Employees Who Are Chronically Late Or Absent
Dealing with Difficult People
9 Ways To Spot, Handle, and Reduce Workers′ Comp Fraud