Understanding Your Summary Plan Descriptions
|Date / Time:
Employers who sponsor ERISA-covered health and welfare plans are required to communicate the terms of the plan to participants in a summary plan description.
The SPD is an important disclosure document that describes, in understandable terms, the rights, benefits and responsibilities of participants and beneficiaries in ERISA-covered health and welfare benefit plans. The SPD must include important information regarding the plan, such as information on how the plan works, eligibility requirements, what benefits the plan provides and how those benefits may be obtained.
The summary of material modification describes changes made to the plan and changes in the information in the SPD.
This topic will help you understand what a summary plan description is, what ERISA requires to be included in the document and how to distribute the SPD. You will also discover what a summary annual report is, what is required under ERISA and the distribution requirements.
Overview of the Summary Plan Description
What Should an SPD Contain?
- What Is a Summary Plan Description?
- Who Should Prepare Them?
- ERISA Requirements
Distribution of SPD
- Requirements Under ERISA
- Important Things to Include
- Recordkeeping and Compliance Issues
Summary Annual Report
- BULLET 1
- How to Distribute
- When to Distribute
- Updating of SPD
- Role of the Department of Labor
About The Presenter
- What Is a Summary Annual Report?
- Who Should Prepare Them?
- Distribution of the Summary Annual Report
Jamie F. Gross, J.D., LL.M.
- Firm director in the Global Employer Services - Compensation and Benefits Tax Practice in the New York City office of Deloitte Tax, LLP
- Experience in employee benefits focusing on the design, drafting and implementation of qualified and nonqualified plans
- Focuses on employee benefits regulatory compliance, and health and welfare design and compliance
- Assists clients with qualified plan design and implementation focusing on plan amendments and restatements for compliance with legislative changes such as GUST and EGTRRA, as well as with ERISA reporting requirements, including Form 5500s, summary annual reports and ERISA 204(h) notices
- Assists clients with health and welfare plan design, implementation and compliance with a focus on HIPAA privacy regulations, DOL claims procedure regulations and summary plan description regulations
- Conducts HIPAA privacy seminars for clients focusing on workforce training in privacy regulations
- Member of the New York State Bar, the New Jersey State Bar and the Massachusetts Bar Associations
- J.D. degree, New England School of Law; LL.M. degree in taxation, Boston University School of Law
Cannot Attend The Live Presentation?
This presentation is also available in a recorded format, in CD version, as shown in the pricing options below.
|About Webcasts / Audio Conferences / Podcasts:|
Webcasts, audio conferences, and podcasts are presentations that you
attend via the Internet, phone, or mobile device at a specified date and time for "live" versions, or at your convenience for "recorded" and "On-Demand" versions.
versions are interactive, meaning that participants can ask questions in real time, plus are a very cost-effective form of training because 1) you receive fast, convenient learning without
any out-of-office time; 2) you can invite as many colleagues as you'd like to listen in on a single phone line; 3) you incur no travel expenses; and 4) you and your colleagues are back
at work immediately after the session ends!
And though with recorded versions you do lose the ability to ask questions, you gain the ability to hear the presentation numerous
times and to share it with others in your office.
Handout materials and the phone number for live presentations are made available to you prior to the event via email from the
presenter and from the "MyAccount" link on the menu bar. Copies of the presentations are included with recorded versions.
|About The Provider:
||Lorman Education Services has provided educational seminars and online training for professionals since 1987.
Since then, we've kept thousands of professionals in the United States and internationally current on the most pressing topics in a rapidly changing marketplace of ideas. Like you, we understand the need for concise, accurate information.
That understanding underlies each Lorman course, presenting the latest information on the laws and regulations critical to your organization's successful daily operations.
Moreover, each course receives our painstaking attention to be certain both the faculty and participants receive the individual attention necessary to achieve maximum benefit from the materials.
||Contact Us For More Information
||Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Reasonable Accommodation - Impairment
Garnishments, Child Support Orders and Other Levies
Internal Investigations Certificate Program
How To Write Clear, Concise, And Compliant Job Descriptions
How To Drive HR Strategy
How To Get Your Managers To Cooperate With HR
Background Checks And Safe Hiring: Trends, Legal Developments, And Best Practices
Personnel Records: What To Keep, What To Toss
Creative - And Free - Ways To Use LinkedIn As A Recruiting Tool
Certificate Program For HR Generalists
HR′s Guide To Medical Marijuana In The Workplace
How To Properly Complete A Form I-9
Basics Of OSHA Recordkeeping
Certificate Program In FMLA &ADA Compliance
IRS Rules For Travel Pay
IRS Rules For Work Visas