Paid Sick & Family Leave: How to Manage PTO in Compliance with Expanding Employee Protections
|Date / Time:
Do you offer paid sick leave to your employees? If not, you could soon have no choice but to grant it. Mandated paid sick leave is gaining support and in many places across the country laws are already in effect requiring employers to provide paid time off to address employees’ and their family members’ medical issues.
In September, President Obama penned a new executive order granting up to 7 days of paid sick leave per year to employees working for federal government contractors. Currently several states, and a dozen cities, have paid/earned sick leave laws on their books, a number that's growing.
National paid sick leave legislation also is pending before Congress in the form of the Healthy Families Act, which is legislation that would grant many employees seven days of paid sick leave annually.
With the clear push to provide paid sick leave and, in some cases, paid family leave, gaining strength nationwide, now is the time to ensure that your PTO policy is properly administered.
Join us for an in-depth webinar on how the recent developments related to paid sick leave affect your daily operations and workplace policies, and learn best practices for administering PTO, from accurately accounting for partial day absences to instituting vacation time caps.
In just 90 minutes, you’ll learn how to create and administer an effective and legal paid-time-off policy.
- What’s required under the new executive order requiring federal contractors to grant paid sick leave to employees
- Where paid sick leave laws have passed or are being considered across the country
- Requirements employers are subjected to concerning carryover and notice/posting requirements
- PTO administration best practices including:
- How to correctly account for partial-day absences under your PTO policy
- The kinds of notice you need to give to exempt workers before forcing them use accrued PTO during furloughs
- What paid vacation vs. PTO can mean when it comes to overtime pay for nonexempt employees
- A “use it or lose it” policy
- How to structure your PTO bank so that you can avoid big payouts when employees leave their jobs
- Tactics for combining PTO leave with protected leave under FMLA
- Compliance essentials you need to know about before changing PTO accrual rates
- Smart moves to make regarding cashing out unused time and when PTO counts as a wage under state law
- PTO and the exempt employee: When you can dock their pay without jeopardizing the exemption
- Legal ways to institute caps on vacation banks
- How the use of PTO works when an employee is eligible for pregnancy disability leave or paid family leave
Plus, as a bonus for attending, you’ll get year-to-year comparisons of paid sick leave offered nationwide!
Cannot Attend The Live Presentation?
This presentation is also available in a recorded format, in CD version, as shown in the pricing options below.
|About Webcasts / Audio Conferences / Podcasts:|
Webcasts, audio conferences, and podcasts are presentations that you
attend via the Internet, phone, or mobile device at a specified date and time for "live" versions, or at your convenience for "recorded" and "On-Demand" versions.
versions are interactive, meaning that participants can ask questions in real time, plus are a very cost-effective form of training because 1) you receive fast, convenient learning without
any out-of-office time; 2) you can invite as many colleagues as you'd like to listen in on a single phone line; 3) you incur no travel expenses; and 4) you and your colleagues are back
at work immediately after the session ends!
And though with recorded versions you do lose the ability to ask questions, you gain the ability to hear the presentation numerous
times and to share it with others in your office.
Handout materials and the phone number for live presentations are made available to you prior to the event via email from the
presenter and from the "MyAccount" link on the menu bar. Copies of the presentations are included with recorded versions.
|Licenses / Designations / Educational Credits:||PHR / SPHR Re-Certification Credits|
All US States: 1.5
|About The Provider:
||BLR® is the leader in helping organizations, and their employees, reduce safety, environmental and employment compliance-related legal exposure, stay on the right side of law, and achieve their full potential. We offer best-in-class compliance product and services that includes news, information & analysis, best practice guidance, employee training and turn-key tools delivered in a wide range of formats from online applications, live events and websites to books, CD's, Video, Posters and newsletters geared to all sized organizations and industries.
||Contact Us For More Information
||Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
|Keywords For This Course:|
FMLA, paid leave, family leave, compliance obligations, paid time off
How To Properly Complete A Form I-9
Workplace Investigations 101: The Basics For Conducting Workplace Investigations
Certificate Program For HR Generalists
Employee Handbook Updates for 2017: How To Ensure Legal Compliance And Avoid Liability
PTO Plan Or Traditional Vacation And Sick Time? The Pros and Cons Of A Paid-Time-Off Plan
Pre-Employment Screening: Can I Ask That Question?
Agile Basics For HR
Strategic HR Basics: A Practical Approach To Working More Strategically In HR
Internal Investigations Certificate Program
Certificate Program In FMLA &ADA Compliance
Basics Of Affirmative Action Planning
How To Identify And Investigate Claims Of Bullying
How To Change The Perception Of The HR Department
The Essentials Of HR Law
FMLA Training &Certification Program
ADA Training &Certification Program