Opportunities and Challenges of The Unlimited Vacation Policy
|Date / Time:
Many employers pay out staggering sums of unused vacation time to their employees and are burdened by the administrative headache of tracking exactly how much vacation time an employee accrues and how much they use.
More and more companies are now offering "unlimited vacation," which can be sold to current and prospective employees as part of a great place to work with abundant time off. Employers can benefit, moreover, by not having to pay out and no longer tracking unused vacation.
The economic and administrative pressures of the traditional vacation policy combined with the win-win appeal of unlimited vacation policies has caused a noticeable trend towards the new policy.
Find out the hidden risks of unlimited vacation policies and the traps that such policies pose to employers. Learn how employers can mitigate those risk and protect themselves after rolling out unlimited vacation policies.
This topic will help employers decide whether to stick with a traditional vacation policy or join other employers in offering unlimited vacation policies.
Traditional Vacation Policies
The Benefits of Unlimited Vacation Policies
- The Way Companies Have Traditionally Offered Vacation Benefits to Employees
- Traditional Vacation Policies in "Accrual States," Where Vacation Accrues as Wages and Must Be Paid out
- Traditional Vacation Policies in "Policy States," Where Vacation Benefits Completely Depend on Company Policy
The Risks of Unlimited Vacation Policies
- How Unlimited Vacation Policies Can Bolster Recruitment and Retention of Employees
- How Unlimited Vacation Policies Can Eliminate Costly and Tedious Recordkeeping Requirements
- How Unlimited Vacation Policies Can Avoid Expensive Vacation Payouts to Employees
How to Implement Unlimited Vacation Policies and Mitigate the Risk
- Employee Disappointment
- Employee Abuse of Policy
- Policy Seen as Subterfuge Leading to Litigation and Disputes With State Agencies
About The Presenter
- Clear Polices
- Managing Expectations
- Maintain Work Standards
Daniel Chammas, Esq.
- Partner at Venable LLP in the Labor and Employment Practice Group
- Focuses practice on “high stakes” litigation, defeating class certification in "off-the–clock violations," missed breaks, discrimination, employee misclassification, and consumer class actions
- Litigated and resolved every type of employment dispute, including claims for wrongful termination, sexual harassment, unpaid wages, racial discrimination and representing management against union grievances
- Advised clients on a whole array of employment issues, including terminating employees, drafting employee handbooks, and complying with California and federal wage and hour laws, as well as leave and disability rules; has also represented and counseled entertainment studios on their rights and obligations under various minimum basic agreements and talent deals
- J.D. degree, Stanford Law School; B.A. degree, summa cum laude, University of California at Los Angeles
Cannot Attend The Live Presentation?
This presentation is also available in a recorded format, in CD version, as shown in the pricing options below.
|About Webcasts / Audio Conferences / Podcasts:|
Webcasts, audio conferences, and podcasts are presentations that you
attend via the Internet, phone, or mobile device at a specified date and time for "live" versions, or at your convenience for "recorded" and "On-Demand" versions.
versions are interactive, meaning that participants can ask questions in real time, plus are a very cost-effective form of training because 1) you receive fast, convenient learning without
any out-of-office time; 2) you can invite as many colleagues as you'd like to listen in on a single phone line; 3) you incur no travel expenses; and 4) you and your colleagues are back
at work immediately after the session ends!
And though with recorded versions you do lose the ability to ask questions, you gain the ability to hear the presentation numerous
times and to share it with others in your office.
Handout materials and the phone number for live presentations are made available to you prior to the event via email from the
presenter and from the "MyAccount" link on the menu bar. Copies of the presentations are included with recorded versions.
|About The Provider:
||Lorman Education Services has provided educational seminars and online training for professionals since 1987.
Since then, we've kept thousands of professionals in the United States and internationally current on the most pressing topics in a rapidly changing marketplace of ideas. Like you, we understand the need for concise, accurate information.
That understanding underlies each Lorman course, presenting the latest information on the laws and regulations critical to your organization's successful daily operations.
Moreover, each course receives our painstaking attention to be certain both the faculty and participants receive the individual attention necessary to achieve maximum benefit from the materials.
||Contact Us For More Information
||Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
A Post-Election Survival Guide For Employers
Dress Code Policy Do′s and Don′ts
Internal Investigations Certificate Program
Garnishments, Child Support Orders, And Other Levies
Reasonable Or Unreasonable Accommodation? How To Identify Disabilities And Handle Employee Issues - Without Violating The ADA
Certificate Program In FMLA &ADA Compliance
Rules And Requirements For Employee Expense Reimbursements
Certificate Program For HR Generalists
How To Keep HR From Being The Employee Complaint Department
Assertiveness Skills For HR Professionals
HRCI / SHRM 60 Hour Re-Certification Training Suite
IRS Rules For Travel Pay
How To Deal With Employees Who Are Chronically Late Or Absent
Dealing with Difficult People
9 Ways To Spot, Handle, and Reduce Workers′ Comp Fraud