Weight Loss at the Workplace: Legal Issues in Reducing Health Care Costs and Promoting Wellness
|Date / Time:
Learn the issues used to identify and address when formulating and implementing a corporate wellness program that is aimed at weight loss.
The number of potentially applicable federal and state laws requires careful consideration of the potential issues raised with drafting and managing a corporate wellness program. The multiple relevant laws and regulations only heighten the need for a deliberate review and consideration of any work place programs assembled to reduce health care costs by encouraging employees to lose weight.
Discuss employee wellness programs targeting weight reduction or obesity to analyze this issue within its broader context and potential legal implications.
EEOC Enforcement of the Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act (GINA) of 2008
Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act
- Protections Afforded to Employees Covered by GINA in Weight Loss Programs
- Restrictions on the Acquisition of Genetic Information by Employers
- Confidentiality Requirements
- Retaliation Protections for Individuals Who Oppose Actions Unlawful Under GINA
- Disparate Impact
- Medical Information That Is Not Genetic Information
- Privacy and Confidentiality
Americans With Disabilities Act
- Nondiscrimination Regulations on Bona Fide Wellness Programs
- Similarly Situated Individuals - Awards Available to All and Reasonable Alternatives
- Notice to Employees Unable to Comply With Wellness Program Requirements Due to Medical Condition
State and Local Disability Discrimination and Privacy Laws
- Amendment Barring Discrimination Against Qualified Individual With a Disability Who Can Perform Essential Functions of Job With or Without Reasonable Accommodation
- Definition of Disability
- Regarded as or Having a Record of Disability
- Voluntary Wellness Programs - Do They Violate the ADA?
- How Does Wellness Program Become Involuntary - Through Higher Insurance Premiums?
- Use of Health Risk Assessments - Voluntary Program
- Behavioral Questions Used in HRAs
- HRA - Confidentiality of Information - Do the ADA, HIPAA and GINA Laws Overlap on HRA Medical History Data?
About The Presenter
- Definitions of Disability
- Obesity - Disability Under ADA or State Disability Law
- State Privacy Laws
- State Retaliation Laws
- State Lifestyle Discrimination Laws
Ambrose V. McCall
- Partner of Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP, Peoria, Illinois
- Tried and litigated many employment related claims
- Represents and advises businesses, governmental entities and insurers throughout Illinois on a range of employment issues, discrimination claims, civil rights claims, and regulatory, compliance or employee program matters
- Presented and published a number of papers on employment related topics including employee wellness programs, the FMLA, the Sarbanes-Oxley Act, the Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act, the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act, the Federal Code of Civil Procedure, personnel records, and discrimination and civil rights claims and related constitutional and contractual doctrines, and social media policies for businesses and their employees
- J.D. degree, Case Western Reserve University School of Law
Cannot Attend The Live Presentation?
This presentation is also available in a recorded format, in CD version, as shown in the pricing options below.
|About Webcasts / Audio Conferences / Podcasts:|
Webcasts, audio conferences, and podcasts are presentations that you
attend via the Internet, phone, or mobile device at a specified date and time for "live" versions, or at your convenience for "recorded" and "On-Demand" versions.
versions are interactive, meaning that participants can ask questions in real time, plus are a very cost-effective form of training because 1) you receive fast, convenient learning without
any out-of-office time; 2) you can invite as many colleagues as you'd like to listen in on a single phone line; 3) you incur no travel expenses; and 4) you and your colleagues are back
at work immediately after the session ends!
And though with recorded versions you do lose the ability to ask questions, you gain the ability to hear the presentation numerous
times and to share it with others in your office.
Handout materials and the phone number for live presentations are made available to you prior to the event via email from the
presenter and from the "MyAccount" link on the menu bar. Copies of the presentations are included with recorded versions.
|About The Provider:
||Lorman Education Services has provided educational seminars and online training for professionals since 1987.
Since then, we've kept thousands of professionals in the United States and internationally current on the most pressing topics in a rapidly changing marketplace of ideas. Like you, we understand the need for concise, accurate information.
That understanding underlies each Lorman course, presenting the latest information on the laws and regulations critical to your organization's successful daily operations.
Moreover, each course receives our painstaking attention to be certain both the faculty and participants receive the individual attention necessary to achieve maximum benefit from the materials.
||Contact Us For More Information
||Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Certificate Program For HR Generalists
Garnishments, Child Support Orders, And Other Levies
How Workers′ Compensation Works (Comprehensive 11-Module Course)
Assertiveness Skills For HR Professionals
Certificate Program In FMLA &ADA Compliance
How To Use PTO To Reduce Absenteeism
Managing Emotions Under Pressure
Internal Investigations Certificate Program
How To Document Your Payroll Procedures
HRCI / SHRM 60 Hour Re-Certification Training Suite
Company Ethics: How To Set The Tone As A Leader
SOX Requirements For Payroll
Payroll Records: What To Keep, What To Toss
Strategic HR Leadership Certificate Program
Dealing with Difficult People
Bring Our Training Courses To Your Location