I-9s for 2016: Uncover Critical Rules for HR's Completion, Retention, & Re-verification
|Date / Time:
I-9 recordkeeping may not be the most glamorous part of your job, but it is essential. And things can get tricky really fast because the compliance devil lies in the details.
For instance, how would you answer the following questions?
Are you sure your answers are correct? You need to be.
- If the SSN entered into E-Verify is incorrect, what steps should we take?
- An employee just moved to our state and his driver’s license says it is not valid for federal ID purposes. Can we accept the license as a List B document?
- We have remote hires and we don’t have a company office in their area. Can we look at the documents via Skype or FaceTime? If someone completes the I-9 for us remotely and I see errors when I get the I-9, can I make the corrections?
- If an employee, who is a U.S. citizen, has been terminated and rehired after 3 months do we have to re-verify?
Government enforcement of immigration rules has been on the rise for the past five years and will continue. With increased funding and public outcry for reform, ICE is on the move and ready to levy big fines for employers not in compliance, to the tune of several million dollars.
Immigration reform efforts, the fate of undocumented or unauthorized workers, ICE enforcement efforts, and raids for I-9 violations continue to be a hot topic that employers need to watch. Now is the perfect time to take a hard look at your I-9 recordkeeping practices and the latest developments to ensure that you’re on the right track for the year.
Join us and our presenters, both seasoned immigration attorneys, will teach you how to get your records and practices up-to-date now so you can stay in compliance, stay out of court, and avoid hefty fines.
About Your Presenters
- Current requirements for I-9 form and E-Verify compliance
- Common I-9 completion mistakes to avoid
- Best practices for filling out the I-9 and legally acceptable ways to verify worker documentation
- Form I-9 re-verification requirements for non-U.S. citizens and non-permanent residents
- Best practices for correcting I-9s
- How to complete I-9s for new employees using automatically extended employment authorization documents (EADs)
- Tips for copying and storing I-9s from supporting documentation to paper I-9s and electronic records
- When it’s safe to destroy old I-9s
- Recordkeeping errors that attract ICE scrutiny and hefty fines
- What you need to know about E-Verify for 2016
- Best practices for not hiring or employing unauthorized workers
- Advertising openings without breeding citizenship-based discrimination claims
- What information you should and shouldn't demand of applicants and employees
- Preparing for an ICE audit
- And much more!
Jacob Muklewicz, Esq.
Chair, Employment and Immigration
Attorney Jacob Muklewicz is chair of Kirton McConkieís Employment and Immigration section. He counsels and advises large multinational corporations, local businesses, individual investors and professionals in areas involving employment-based immigration law. Mr. Muklewicz has presented at state bar associations and published articles on topics concerning employment-based immigration and compliance with employment verification regulations.
Elaine Young, Esq.
Attorney Elaine Young advises helps employers develop I-9 and E-Verify policies, conduct self-audits and respond to I-9 audits, and trains new HR personnel on all aspects of immigration compliance. In addition to I-9 work, she works with large, medium and small businesses with their global migration needs, including helping them hire foreign workers who need U.S. visas, and send U.S. workers on foreign assignments. Elaine is a co-author of BLR’s HR Guide to Employment Law chapter on Immigration and speaks frequently on I-9 and immigration-related topics.
|About Webcasts / Audio Conferences / Podcasts:|
Webcasts, audio conferences, and podcasts are presentations that you
attend via the Internet, phone, or mobile device at a specified date and time for "live" versions, or at your convenience for "recorded" and "On-Demand" versions.
versions are interactive, meaning that participants can ask questions in real time, plus are a very cost-effective form of training because 1) you receive fast, convenient learning without
any out-of-office time; 2) you can invite as many colleagues as you'd like to listen in on a single phone line; 3) you incur no travel expenses; and 4) you and your colleagues are back
at work immediately after the session ends!
And though with recorded versions you do lose the ability to ask questions, you gain the ability to hear the presentation numerous
times and to share it with others in your office.
Handout materials and the phone number for live presentations are made available to you prior to the event via email from the
presenter and from the "MyAccount" link on the menu bar. Copies of the presentations are included with recorded versions.
|Licenses / Designations / Educational Credits:||PHR / SPHR Re-Certification Credits|
All US States: 1.5
|About The Provider:
||BLR® is the leader in helping organizations, and their employees, reduce safety, environmental and employment compliance-related legal exposure, stay on the right side of law, and achieve their full potential. We offer best-in-class compliance product and services that includes news, information & analysis, best practice guidance, employee training and turn-key tools delivered in a wide range of formats from online applications, live events and websites to books, CD's, Video, Posters and newsletters geared to all sized organizations and industries.
||Contact Us For More Information
||Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
|Keywords For This Course:|
I-9 Recordkeeping, immigration compliance, ICE audit
Certificate Program For HR Generalists
Garnishments, Child Support Orders, And Other Levies
How Workers′ Compensation Works (Comprehensive 11-Module Course)
Assertiveness Skills For HR Professionals
Certificate Program In FMLA &ADA Compliance
How To Use PTO To Reduce Absenteeism
Managing Emotions Under Pressure
Internal Investigations Certificate Program
How To Document Your Payroll Procedures
HRCI / SHRM 60 Hour Re-Certification Training Suite
Company Ethics: How To Set The Tone As A Leader
SOX Requirements For Payroll
Payroll Records: What To Keep, What To Toss
Strategic HR Leadership Certificate Program
Dealing with Difficult People
Bring Our Training Courses To Your Location