Unclaimed Property: Why Your Company Can't Afford NOT To Be In Compliance
|Date / Time:
This webinar will arm the attendee with knowledge of the current unclaimed property legal and compliance landscape, as well as the core obligations imposed on companies that hold property that is owed to, or owned by, another party.
Understand the importance of implementing a robust compliance function as well as risk mitigation techniques that can stave off material assessments of liability.
About The Presenters
- Unclaimed Property 101: What Is It? Who Has It? Who Wants It? Where Does It Go?
- Between a Rock and a Hard Place: State Enforcement Efforts, Owner Lawsuits
- The "Flip Side of the Coin" – Voluntary Disclosure Agreements
- Complex Accounting and Legal Issues Associated With Unclaimed Property Laws
- Audit Defense Best Practices and Planning in This Arena
- Current Trends and the Future of Unclaimed Property
Michael M. Giovannini
Matthew P. Hedstrom
- Senior associate in the Alston & Bird LLP’s SALT practice
- Focuses practice on advising clients and providing practical planning services with respect to various state and local tax issues, with an emphasis on the sales and use tax issues associated with online sales, cloud computing and digital goods
- Has experience representing clients in disputes with revenue departments at both the administrative and judicial levels
- Advises clients regarding unclaimed property planning issues and representing clients in unclaimed property audits
- Unclaimed property practice includes extensive experience with gift card laws and the structuring of gift card programs
- Frequent contributor to numerous national, state and local tax publications, including State Tax Notes, and co-wrote Bloomberg BNA’s Multistate Tax Management portfolio entitled “Unclaimed Property”
Kendall L. Houghton
- Partner in the Alston & Bird LLP’s New York office
- Focuses practice on state and local tax planning and controversy and addresses clients’ multistate tax issues, including state income tax apportionment, tax base, business/nonbusiness income determinations, telecommunications and sales/use tax nexus, sourcing and taxability issues and unclaimed property matters
- Has been published on a wide variety of state tax and unclaimed property topics in different journals, including State Tax Notes and Journal of Multistate Taxation and Incentives, and co-wrote Bloomberg BNA’s Multistate Tax Management portfolio entitled “Unclaimed Property”
- Regularly speaks on state and local tax matters and is the managing editor of the State and Local Tax Edition of the American Bar Association’s Tax Lawyer
- Leads the Alston & Bird LLP’s SALT practice
- Nationally recognized expert whose practice focuses on state and local tax planning, tax controversies and unclaimed property/escheat matters
- Previously served as general counsel to the Council On State Taxation (COST), where she filed U.S. Supreme Court briefs in cases impacting state taxation of multistate commerce and led a tax policy initiative addressing taxation of Internet transactions
- Has represented clients on a multi-jurisdictional basis with respect to significant tax disputes; negotiated favorable settlements with state and local jurisdictions; developed and advocated state tax policy and legislative positions that benefited client interests; and collaborated with clients to design transactional and organizational structures that have optimized direct and indirect tax burdens
- Advises clients with respect to unclaimed property/escheat compliance, voluntary disclosure initiatives, planning opportunities, single- and multi-state audit defense, and litigation of state unclaimed property assessments
- Featured speaker at national state tax conferences and schools and co-author of Bloomberg BNA’s Multistate Tax Management portfolio entitled “Unclaimed Property”
Cannot Attend The Live Presentation?
This presentation is also available in a recorded format, in CD version, as shown in the pricing options below.
|About Webcasts / Audio Conferences / Podcasts:|
Webcasts, audio conferences, and podcasts are presentations that you
attend via the Internet, phone, or mobile device at a specified date and time for "live" versions, or at your convenience for "recorded" and "On-Demand" versions.
versions are interactive, meaning that participants can ask questions in real time, plus are a very cost-effective form of training because 1) you receive fast, convenient learning without
any out-of-office time; 2) you can invite as many colleagues as you'd like to listen in on a single phone line; 3) you incur no travel expenses; and 4) you and your colleagues are back
at work immediately after the session ends!
And though with recorded versions you do lose the ability to ask questions, you gain the ability to hear the presentation numerous
times and to share it with others in your office.
Handout materials and the phone number for live presentations are made available to you prior to the event via email from the
presenter and from the "MyAccount" link on the menu bar. Copies of the presentations are included with recorded versions.
|About The Provider:
||Lorman Education Services has provided educational seminars and online training for professionals since 1987.
Since then, we've kept thousands of professionals in the United States and internationally current on the most pressing topics in a rapidly changing marketplace of ideas. Like you, we understand the need for concise, accurate information.
That understanding underlies each Lorman course, presenting the latest information on the laws and regulations critical to your organization's successful daily operations.
Moreover, each course receives our painstaking attention to be certain both the faculty and participants receive the individual attention necessary to achieve maximum benefit from the materials.
||Contact Us For More Information
||Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Strategic HR Leadership Certificate Program
Payroll Issues For Deceased Employees
Internal Investigations Certificate Program
Certificate Program For HR Generalists
Garnishments, Child Support Orders, And Other Levies
How Workers′ Compensation Works (Comprehensive 11-Module Course)
Assertiveness Skills For HR Professionals
Certificate Program In FMLA &ADA Compliance
How To Use PTO To Reduce Absenteeism
Managing Emotions Under Pressure
How To Document Your Payroll Procedures
HRCI / SHRM 60 Hour Re-Certification Training Suite
Company Ethics: How To Set The Tone As A Leader
SOX Requirements For Payroll
Payroll Records: What To Keep, What To Toss
Dealing with Difficult People