Navigating The Murky Waters Of Sabbaticals And Unpaid Leave
|Date / Time:
Many employers and human resources professionals are confused and intimidated by the many types of unpaid leaves, some of which are mandated by law, and some of which are simply employee retention tools.
To make matters worse, employers who do not implement policies which establish clear eligibility requirements for leaves often find themselves in a legal battle over something that could have been prevented with proper planning.
This webinar will assist employers and human resources professionals to understand the different types of unpaid leave, establish and draft clear policies with eligibility requirements (where not already set forth by law), and understand the procedures that are either required or advisable with respect to each type of unpaid leave.
This information is critical for employers and human resources professionals so they can establish consistent requirements, policies and procedures related to leaves, communicate the same to their employees and avoid costly settlements and/or litigation.
- What Types of Unpaid Leave Are There?
Other Types of Unpaid Leave
- Short History
- Are They Really Vacation Time?
- Implementing a Policy
- Length of Employment
- Length of Sabbatical and Interaction With Other Policies
- Must Apply in a Nondiscriminatory Manner
- Do Not Have to Pay out on Termination (If Set up Appropriately)
For Each Type of Leave
- Non-FMLA Medical
Sample Policies and FormsAbout The Presenter
- Is a Request Required?
- Is a Certification Required?
- Pay Status
- Job Restoration and Notice Requirements
- Employee Benefits While on Leave
- Discipline for Activities During Leave
Emilie K. Elliott
- Attorney in the San Luis Obispo office of Carmel & Naccasha, LLP
- Practice emphasizes all aspects of corporate and business transactions, patent law, intellectual property transactions, real estate law, employment law, commercial litigation and health care law
- Distinguished in many of the firm’s primary practice areas including business and intellectual property transactions and employment law
- Has also practiced in antitrust and unfair competition, business and entertainment litigation and intellectual property litigation
- Years of experience working for firms in San Francisco and Los Angeles
- Member of the California State Bar; Patent Bar; San Luis Obispo County Bar Association; American Bar Association, Labor and Employment and Intellectual Property Divisions; Tulare County Bar Association; American Association of Nurse Attorneys; California Board of Registered Nursing
- J.D. degree, University of Southern California; B.S. degree in psychobiology, University of California, Los Angeles
Cannot Attend The Live Presentation?
This presentation is also available in a recorded format, in CD version, as shown in the pricing options below.
|About Webcasts / Audio Conferences / Podcasts:|
Webcasts, audio conferences, and podcasts are presentations that you
attend via the Internet, phone, or mobile device at a specified date and time for "live" versions, or at your convenience for "recorded" and "On-Demand" versions.
versions are interactive, meaning that participants can ask questions in real time, plus are a very cost-effective form of training because 1) you receive fast, convenient learning without
any out-of-office time; 2) you can invite as many colleagues as you'd like to listen in on a single phone line; 3) you incur no travel expenses; and 4) you and your colleagues are back
at work immediately after the session ends!
And though with recorded versions you do lose the ability to ask questions, you gain the ability to hear the presentation numerous
times and to share it with others in your office.
Handout materials and the phone number for live presentations are made available to you prior to the event via email from the
presenter and from the "MyAccount" link on the menu bar. Copies of the presentations are included with recorded versions.
|About The Provider:
||Lorman Education Services has provided educational seminars and online training for professionals since 1987.
Since then, we've kept thousands of professionals in the United States and internationally current on the most pressing topics in a rapidly changing marketplace of ideas. Like you, we understand the need for concise, accurate information.
That understanding underlies each Lorman course, presenting the latest information on the laws and regulations critical to your organization's successful daily operations.
Moreover, each course receives our painstaking attention to be certain both the faculty and participants receive the individual attention necessary to achieve maximum benefit from the materials.
||Contact Us For More Information
||Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Certificate Program For HR Generalists
Garnishments, Child Support Orders, And Other Levies
How Workers′ Compensation Works (Comprehensive 11-Module Course)
Assertiveness Skills For HR Professionals
Certificate Program In FMLA &ADA Compliance
How To Use PTO To Reduce Absenteeism
Managing Emotions Under Pressure
Internal Investigations Certificate Program
How To Document Your Payroll Procedures
HRCI / SHRM 60 Hour Re-Certification Training Suite
Company Ethics: How To Set The Tone As A Leader
SOX Requirements For Payroll
Payroll Records: What To Keep, What To Toss
Strategic HR Leadership Certificate Program
Dealing with Difficult People
Bring Our Training Courses To Your Location