CFRA Certifications: Critical Compliance Essentials To Keep You Out Of Legal Hot Water
|Date / Time:
Although the California Family Rights Act (CFRA) and the federal Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) are similar, there are several key differences when it comes to requesting medical certifications here in California.
HR professionals face significant challenges when employees need CFRA leave to care for a family member, specifically due to the expansion in other laws of “family member” to include a grandparent, grandchild, or parent-in-law, but not in CFRA or FMLA. These and other changes in the regulations will make concurrent leave more difficult to administer in conjunction with your paid leave policies.
Join us when attorney Danielle Garcia of Fisher & Phillips will provide the latest updates on how to ensure that FMLA/CFRA certification requests comply with state and federal law. You’ll discover what you may legally request in terms of a medical certification from your employees and strategies for getting the information you need to properly designate leave.
About Your Speaker
- Key CFRA definitions
- Your rights as an employer when it comes to medical leave for employees
- Guidelines for getting the proper healthcare certification forms you need
- Who is included under the PFL (Paid Family Leave) and what you may request to certify compliance
- Best practices for obtaining documentation to determine if a California employee is entitled to paid and/or protected leave
- Why it’s important to have proper certification, and what that entails
- Rules related to fitness-for-duty certifications before and after returning from leave
- Compliance essentials for certifications pertaining to pregnancy disability leave here in California
- The difference between serious health conditions and common ailments identified on the medical certification so you can properly allow or deny leave
- How to handle a situation where you need to obtain clarification on a medical certification due to vagueness, incompleteness, or ambiguity
- The limits to your rights to obtain subsequent medical opinions concerning a serious health condition
- Recent legal and legislative developments employers must be aware of
Danielle Garcia, Esq.
Fisher & Phillips LLP
Danielle Garcia represents clients in all aspects of labor and employment law, including traditional labor relations management, harassment, and discrimination. She currently advises employers regarding proper leave practices to prevent costly litigation. Prior to her legal career, Danielle worked as a human resource generalist where she administered FMLA and managed complicated leave scenarios. She recently was a presenter at BLR’s FMLA masters class in San Diego.
|About Webcasts / Audio Conferences / Podcasts:|
Webcasts, audio conferences, and podcasts are presentations that you
attend via the Internet, phone, or mobile device at a specified date and time for "live" versions, or at your convenience for "recorded" and "On-Demand" versions.
versions are interactive, meaning that participants can ask questions in real time, plus are a very cost-effective form of training because 1) you receive fast, convenient learning without
any out-of-office time; 2) you can invite as many colleagues as you'd like to listen in on a single phone line; 3) you incur no travel expenses; and 4) you and your colleagues are back
at work immediately after the session ends!
And though with recorded versions you do lose the ability to ask questions, you gain the ability to hear the presentation numerous
times and to share it with others in your office.
Handout materials and the phone number for live presentations are made available to you prior to the event via email from the
presenter and from the "MyAccount" link on the menu bar. Copies of the presentations are included with recorded versions.
|Licenses / Designations / Educational Credits:||PHR / SPHR Re-Certification Credits|
All US States: 1.5
PHR / SPHR Re-Certification Credits
All US States: 1.5
|About The Provider:
||BLR® is the leader in helping organizations, and their employees, reduce safety, environmental and employment compliance-related legal exposure, stay on the right side of law, and achieve their full potential. We offer best-in-class compliance product and services that includes news, information & analysis, best practice guidance, employee training and turn-key tools delivered in a wide range of formats from online applications, live events and websites to books, CD's, Video, Posters and newsletters geared to all sized organizations and industries.
||Contact Us For More Information
||Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
|Keywords For This Course:|
CFRA, FMLA, medical certifications
Workplace Investigations 101: The Basics For Conducting Workplace Investigations
Employee Handbooks: 2017 Issues
How To Change The Perception Of The HR Department
How To Communicate Assertively To Exude Confidence And Competence
Year End Legislative &Tax Changes In Payroll
Payroll Records: What To Keep, What To Toss
PTO Plan Or Traditional Vacation And Sick Time? The Pros and Cons Of A Paid-Time-Off Plan
Motivate Or Terminate
Certificate Program For HR Generalists
Agile Basics For HR
Internal Investigations Certificate Program
Certificate Program In FMLA &ADA Compliance
The Essentials Of HR Law
FMLA Training &Certification Program
Certified Payroll Manager
Fundamentals Of Form W-2 &Form W-4 Processing