FMLA Intermittent Leave: Legal Strategies For Investigating And Preventing Abuse
|Date / Time:
Reduced schedule and intermittent leave under the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) can be an administrative nightmare for HR.
It’s questions like these that can make tracking and managing leave difficult for employers trying to get a handle on FMLA abuse related to reduced schedules or intermittent leave.
- How do you track the time?
- How much time can employees take?
- How do you distinguish between legitimate requests and patterns of leave abuse?
- What types of documentation are you allowed to seek from employees and/or their doctors?
Don’t get caught in the complex web of FMLA’s intermittent leave and reduced schedule rules. Join us when skilled attorney John Lai of Fisher Phillips will provide an up-to-date review of what FMLA requires of employers, and what HR can do to manage intermittent leaves and reduced schedule leaves, legally and effectively, while avoiding abuses.
- Confirm that an employee is eligible for FMLA intermittent leave, and how much time they can take
- Understand the impact recently decided federal cases have on your FMLA rights and obligations
- Train managers on the intermittent leave rules and make sure when they know when to refer employees to HR
- Give notice if the employee is, or is not, eligible for leave
- Determine restrictions that apply to the amount of leave taken
- Temporarily transfer employees to accommodate leave, without risking allegations of retaliation
- Use medical certifications and require re-certifications
- Maintain consistent leave policies and government-mandated posters
- Spot and fix patterns of intermittent leave abuse
- Request that leaves be planned (and requested) in advance as much as possible, without overstepping your legal bounds
- Investigate suspected abuse of intermittent/reduced schedule leave using social media
- Craft an effective, legally compliant policy on intermittent and reduced schedule leaves—and why it’s crucial to have such a policy
John Lai, Esq.
John Lai practices wage-and-hour litigation, workplace safety compliance and Cal-OSHA defense, FMLA and CFRA leave compliance, handbook policy counseling, and discrimination and harassment claims.
Cannot Attend The Live Presentation?
This presentation is also available in a recorded format, in On-Demand version, as shown in the pricing options below.
|About Webcasts / Audio Conferences / Podcasts:|
Webcasts, audio conferences, and podcasts are presentations that you
attend via the Internet, phone, or mobile device at a specified date and time for "live" versions, or at your convenience for "recorded" and "On-Demand" versions.
versions are interactive, meaning that participants can ask questions in real time, plus are a very cost-effective form of training because 1) you receive fast, convenient learning without
any out-of-office time; 2) you can invite as many colleagues as you'd like to listen in on a single phone line; 3) you incur no travel expenses; and 4) you and your colleagues are back
at work immediately after the session ends!
And though with recorded versions you do lose the ability to ask questions, you gain the ability to hear the presentation numerous
times and to share it with others in your office.
Handout materials and the phone number for live presentations are made available to you prior to the event via email from the
presenter and from the "MyAccount" link on the menu bar. Copies of the presentations are included with recorded versions.
|Licenses / Designations / Educational Credits:||PHR / SPHR Re-Certification Credits|
All US States: 1.5
|About The Provider:
||BLR® is the leader in helping organizations, and their employees, reduce safety, environmental and employment compliance-related legal exposure, stay on the right side of law, and achieve their full potential. We offer best-in-class compliance product and services that includes news, information & analysis, best practice guidance, employee training and turn-key tools delivered in a wide range of formats from online applications, live events and websites to books, CD's, Video, Posters and newsletters geared to all sized organizations and industries.
||Contact Us For More Information
||Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
|Keywords For This Course:|
FMLA, intermittent leave, leave abuse, retaliation
Serious Complaint or Employee Drama?
Guidelines For Taxing Gifts, Awards, &Other Fringe Benefits
How To Supervise Employees Who Don′t Get Along
Certificate Program For HR Generalists
Workers′ Comp 101: The Whats, Whens, And Whys
Motivate Or Terminate
Internal Investigations Certificate Program
Advanced Internal Investigations Certificate Program
Certificate Program In FMLA &ADA Compliance
IRS Rules For Inpat &Expat Payroll
Paycheck Fundamentals Training &Certification Program
What To Do When Applicants Or Employees Have A Criminal History
Strategic HR Leadership Certificate Program
Certificate In Essentials Of Human Resource Management Seminar
How To Coach Up Or Counsel Out Problem Employees
Certificate In Employee Relations Law Seminar