Code Section 409 A: Structuring Compliant Plans and Avoiding Pitfalls
|Date / Time:
Nonqualified deferred compensation plans can provide executives with benefits in excess of those provided under qualified deferred compensation plans. While attractive to executives, these plans are subject to complex rules, including Internal Revenue Code Section 409 A.
It is critical that employers understand and properly implement these rules in order to maximize the chances that such plans will provide the intended benefits. A failure to design and operate a nonqualified deferred compensation arrangement in accordance with these rules can result in the early taxation of plan contributions, tax penalties, and potential liability for plan sponsors.
This webinar will provide you with a good foundation for identifying arrangements that are subject to Section 409 A and help you design and administer these nonqualified deferred compensation plans in a legally compliant manner.
Introduction to Nonqualified Deferred Compensation
Code Section 409 A Requirements
- The Differences and Similarities Between Qualified and NonQualified Plans
- What Arrangements Can Be Subject to Code Section 409 A
- What Constitutes Deferred Compensation: Important Exemptions
Code Section 409 A
- Plan Document
- Deferral Election Rules
- Distribution Rules
About The Presenter
- Termination Pay
- Equity Compensation
- Fixing Common Mistakes
- Partner in the office of Winston Strawn LLP
- Practice emphasizes all aspects of employee benefits and executive compensation matters
- Conducts regular seminars and workshops on numerous employee benefits and executive compensation matters for public and private companies
- Wrote several publications related to the areas of employee benefits and executive compensation
- Member of the following organizations, Illinois State Bar Association, secretary of Employee Benefits Section Council, University of Illinois College of Law, Law Alumni Board; National Hispanic Bar Association, deputy regional president for Region IX, chair of Awards Committee, Hispanic Lawyers Association of Illinois, InHouse Counsel Committee member, Law School Committee member, Rotary One, Community Service Committee, Human Resources Management Association of Chicago, member of Total Rewards Interest Group; Chicago SHRM, American Bar Association, Worldwide Employee Benefits Network
- J.D. degree, magna cum laude, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, B.A. degree in Political Science, University of Illinois at Chicago
Cannot Attend The Live Presentation?
This presentation is also available in a recorded format, in CD version, as shown in the pricing options below.
|About Webcasts / Audio Conferences / Podcasts:|
Webcasts, audio conferences, and podcasts are presentations that you
attend via the Internet, phone, or mobile device at a specified date and time for "live" versions, or at your convenience for "recorded" and "On-Demand" versions.
versions are interactive, meaning that participants can ask questions in real time, plus are a very cost-effective form of training because 1) you receive fast, convenient learning without
any out-of-office time; 2) you can invite as many colleagues as you'd like to listen in on a single phone line; 3) you incur no travel expenses; and 4) you and your colleagues are back
at work immediately after the session ends!
And though with recorded versions you do lose the ability to ask questions, you gain the ability to hear the presentation numerous
times and to share it with others in your office.
Handout materials and the phone number for live presentations are made available to you prior to the event via email from the
presenter and from the "MyAccount" link on the menu bar. Copies of the presentations are included with recorded versions.
|About The Provider:
||Lorman Education Services has provided educational seminars and online training for professionals since 1987.
Since then, we've kept thousands of professionals in the United States and internationally current on the most pressing topics in a rapidly changing marketplace of ideas. Like you, we understand the need for concise, accurate information.
That understanding underlies each Lorman course, presenting the latest information on the laws and regulations critical to your organization's successful daily operations.
Moreover, each course receives our painstaking attention to be certain both the faculty and participants receive the individual attention necessary to achieve maximum benefit from the materials.
||Contact Us For More Information
||Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
How To Write Clear, Concise, And Compliant Job Descriptions
Garnishments, Child Support Orders and Other Levies
Internal Investigations Certificate Program
How To Drive HR Strategy
How To Get Your Managers To Cooperate With HR
Dealing with Difficult People
HR′s Guide To Medical Marijuana In The Workplace
Personnel Records: What To Keep, What To Toss
Creative - And Free - Ways To Use LinkedIn As A Recruiting Tool
Certificate Program For HR Generalists
Basics Of OSHA Recordkeeping
IRS Rules For Travel Pay
IRS Rules For Work Visas
How to Supervise People Seminar
Certificate Program In FMLA &ADA Compliance
The Essentials Of HR Law