Making Bonus Programs FMLA Compliant
|Date / Time:
On one hand, the FMLA prohibits employers from interfering with an employee's right to FMLA leave. On the other hand, should an employer have to pay a full bonus to an employee who was absent due to FMLA leave? The Old Approach
Regulations and case law have both developed and shifted since the FMLA's passage in 1993. This webinar reviews the tension between the FMLA and bonus programs, the changing law and practical approaches to making bonus programs both effective incentives and FMLA compliant.
The New Approach
- The Conflict Between the FMLA and Bonus Payments
- The Old Regulation
- Sommer v. Vanguard Group – Third Circuit
- The 2009 Revisions to the FMLA Regulations
- Subsequent Case Law
About The Presenters
- Practical Effect
Adam G. Guttell, Esq.
Gregory B. Reilly, Esq.
- Partner in the employment & labor practice group at Martin Clearwater & Bell LLP
- Extensive experience advising employers of all sizes in industries as diverse as health care, finance, manufacturing, transportation, and hospitality
- Represents clients in federal and state court proceedings, as well as private mediations, arbitration, and administrative hearings
- In addition to representing clients in employment-related issues ranging from discrimination and harassment to violations of all state and federal fair employment laws, Mr. Guttell actively litigates restrictive covenant matters, including breaches of noncompetition, nonsolicitation and confidentiality agreements; he routinely counsels clients on drafting and enforcement of all manner of agreements related to employment
- Counsels clients on compliance with various state and federal laws affecting the workplace, including Title VII, Family and Medical Leave Act, Americans with Disabilities Act, Age Discrimination in Employment Act, Fair Labor Standards Act and New York State and City Human Rights laws
- Co-wrote articles appearing in publications of the New York Law Journal, MD News, and The Risk Management Quarterly
- J.D. degree, St. John’s University School of Law; B.A. degree in history, high honors, Brandeis University
- Partner and head of employment and labor practice group at Martin Clearwater & Bell LLP
- Experienced litigator and counselor with more than 20 years of experience practicing employment and labor law
- Represents employers, ranging from small businesses to Fortune 500 companies in a variety of industries, including health care, hospitality, retail and staffing
- Extensive experience in all aspects of employment and labor law including: wage and hour laws, wrongful termination, noncompete and nonsolicitation litigation, class and collective action lawsuits, and litigation involving discrimination and workplace harassment, among other employment issues
- Represents employers in federal and state courts as well as before administrative agencies such as the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission
- Counsels clients respecting proactive, practical strategies for legal compliance for the entire spectrum of the employment relationship from initial recruitment and hire to separations from employment
- Accomplished author and his articles have appeared in publications of the American Bar Association, the New York Bar Association and in the New York Law Journal; featured speaker at seminars sponsored by organizations such as the Greater New York American Corporate Counsel Association, the New York State Bar Association and the Association for Healthcare Risk Managers of New York, Inc. (AHRMNY)
- Achieved the highest rating in the Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory
- J.D. degree, Harvard Law School; B.S. degree in industrial and labor relations, Cornell University
Cannot Attend The Live Presentation?
This presentation is also available in a recorded format, in CD version, as shown in the pricing options below.
|About Webcasts / Audio Conferences / Podcasts:|
Webcasts, audio conferences, and podcasts are presentations that you
attend via the Internet, phone, or mobile device at a specified date and time for "live" versions, or at your convenience for "recorded" and "On-Demand" versions.
versions are interactive, meaning that participants can ask questions in real time, plus are a very cost-effective form of training because 1) you receive fast, convenient learning without
any out-of-office time; 2) you can invite as many colleagues as you'd like to listen in on a single phone line; 3) you incur no travel expenses; and 4) you and your colleagues are back
at work immediately after the session ends!
And though with recorded versions you do lose the ability to ask questions, you gain the ability to hear the presentation numerous
times and to share it with others in your office.
Handout materials and the phone number for live presentations are made available to you prior to the event via email from the
presenter and from the "MyAccount" link on the menu bar. Copies of the presentations are included with recorded versions.
|About The Provider:
||Lorman Education Services has provided educational seminars and online training for professionals since 1987.
Since then, we've kept thousands of professionals in the United States and internationally current on the most pressing topics in a rapidly changing marketplace of ideas. Like you, we understand the need for concise, accurate information.
That understanding underlies each Lorman course, presenting the latest information on the laws and regulations critical to your organization's successful daily operations.
Moreover, each course receives our painstaking attention to be certain both the faculty and participants receive the individual attention necessary to achieve maximum benefit from the materials.
||Contact Us For More Information
||Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
How To Communicate Assertively To Exude Confidence And Competence
Year End Legislative &Tax Changes In Payroll
Payroll Records: What To Keep, What To Toss
PTO Plan Or Traditional Vacation And Sick Time? The Pros and Cons Of A Paid-Time-Off Plan
Motivate Or Terminate
Workplace Investigations 101: The Basics For Conducting Workplace Investigations
Certificate Program For HR Generalists
Agile Basics For HR
Employee Handbooks: 2017 Issues
Internal Investigations Certificate Program
Certificate Program In FMLA &ADA Compliance
The Essentials Of HR Law
How To Change The Perception Of The HR Department
FMLA Training &Certification Program
Certified Payroll Manager
Fundamentals Of Form W-2 &Form W-4 Processing