Legal Issues When Volunteers Are Injured: Is Your Nonprofit At Risk?
|Date / Time:
Volunteers are the lifeblood of your nonprofit and essential to the mission. Although many nonprofits believe that they are still shielded from civil liability as to their volunteers, that landscape has changed and is continuing to evolve in our society.
A significant claim from an injured volunteer can devastate a small nonprofit in financial and reputational impact. But forewarned is forearmed.
From this webinar you will obtain a better understanding as to how the law is evolving in its view of who is a "volunteer" and who is an "employee", why that might impact your mission, the types of injuries for which volunteers have and are making claims against the nonprofit, and risk management tips to protect your volunteers and to continue to fulfill your mission.
The Changing Face of Nonprofits
Correcting Classifying Volunteers
- Charitable Immunity
- Volunteer Protections Act
- Tracking Volunteer Injuries Through the DLI
Identifying the Risks
- What Are the Risks of Misclassifying a Volunteer?
- Wages Liability
- Workers' Comp
- Civil Liability
- Impact of the New DOL Rules on Volunteers
- Tests for Distinguishing Between Employee and Volunteer
Injuries Resulting From Violence
- What Are the Basic Legal Theories of Civil Liability?
- How Are These Applied to Mission Related Activities?
- Premises Liability
- Driving and Transportation
- Personal Injury While Performing the Activity
- Professional Liability for Rendering Aid
Controlling the Risks
- Liability for Risks Posed by Co-Workers/Co-Volunteers
- Liability for Risks Posed by Clientele
- Liability for Risks Posed by Outside/Third Parties
About The Presenter
- Risk Transfer
- The Corporate Shield
Karen A. Kalzer
- Lead Counsel for the Employment & Labor and Religion & Social Services groups at Helsell, Fetterman LLP, recognized as one of the Best Law Firms in America by US News and World Report
- Practice emphasizes all aspects of liability for small businesses, communities of faith, nonprofits and independent schools
- Co-chair of the Religious and NonProfit section of the Claims and Litigation Management Alliance
- Regularly speaks and publishes locally and nationally on ethics, conflict resolution and best practices to avoid liability
- Recent publications include A Separation Maintained, regarding the application of the ministerial exception to employment discrimination claims against communities of faith and their mission based entities, and Respecting the Work Life Balance, regarding the evolving area of family discrimination claims
- J.D. degree, cum laude, Seattle University School of Law, 1995
- Member Defense Research Institute, American Bar Association, Education Law Association
Cannot Attend The Live Presentation?
This presentation is also available in a recorded format, in CD version, as shown in the pricing options below.
|About Webcasts / Audio Conferences / Podcasts:|
Webcasts, audio conferences, and podcasts are presentations that you
attend via the Internet, phone, or mobile device at a specified date and time for "live" versions, or at your convenience for "recorded" and "On-Demand" versions.
versions are interactive, meaning that participants can ask questions in real time, plus are a very cost-effective form of training because 1) you receive fast, convenient learning without
any out-of-office time; 2) you can invite as many colleagues as you'd like to listen in on a single phone line; 3) you incur no travel expenses; and 4) you and your colleagues are back
at work immediately after the session ends!
And though with recorded versions you do lose the ability to ask questions, you gain the ability to hear the presentation numerous
times and to share it with others in your office.
Handout materials and the phone number for live presentations are made available to you prior to the event via email from the
presenter and from the "MyAccount" link on the menu bar. Copies of the presentations are included with recorded versions.
|About The Provider:
||Lorman Education Services has provided educational seminars and online training for professionals since 1987.
Since then, we've kept thousands of professionals in the United States and internationally current on the most pressing topics in a rapidly changing marketplace of ideas. Like you, we understand the need for concise, accurate information.
That understanding underlies each Lorman course, presenting the latest information on the laws and regulations critical to your organization's successful daily operations.
Moreover, each course receives our painstaking attention to be certain both the faculty and participants receive the individual attention necessary to achieve maximum benefit from the materials.
||Contact Us For More Information
||Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Assertiveness Skills For HR Professionals
Certificate Program In FMLA &ADA Compliance
Internal Investigations Certificate Program
Certificate Program For HR Generalists
Strategic HR Leadership Certificate Program
Payroll Issues For Deceased Employees
Company Ethics: How To Set The Tone As A Leader
Garnishments, Child Support Orders, And Other Levies
Payroll Records: What To Keep, What To Toss
How Workers′ Compensation Works (Comprehensive 11-Module Course)
How To Use PTO To Reduce Absenteeism
How To Document Your Payroll Procedures
HRCI / SHRM 60 Hour Re-Certification Training Suite
SOX Requirements For Payroll
Dealing with Difficult People
Bring Our Training Courses To Your Location