Status Classification: Exempt vs. Nonexempt
|Date / Time:
Employees and their counsel continue to pursue individual and class action overtime claims based on the alleged misclassification of exempt workers at a fever pitch. Thousands of lawsuits asserting violations of the Fair Labor Standards Act or parallel state laws are filed each year, and the costs of defending these matters and the damages claimed and paid, whether through trial or settlement, are staggering.
These cases frequently involve individual and class action claims that employers have misclassified employees eligible for overtime as exempt in an effort to cheat them out of their rightful pay.
This webinar will help you understand the overtime exemptions available under the law, the nature of the claims asserted by plaintiffs, and the newest areas of focus and arguments advanced by plaintiffs' counsel. It will also explain what steps you can take to assure proper classifications and to minimize the likelihood and success of these misclassification claims.
About The Presenter
- General Principles Under the Fair Labor Standards Act, and Similar State Wage and Hour Laws
- Understanding and Complying With the Basic White-Collar Exemptions
- The Executive, Administrative, Professional and Computer Professional Duties Tests
- Salary Requirements and the Highly Compensated Employee Exemption
- The Salary Basis Test
- Understanding and Complying With Other Overtime Exemptions, Including the Outside Sales, Retail Sales and Service, Recreation and Amusement, Domestic Worker and Motor Carrier Act Exemptions
- What Can an Employer Do to Assure Classifications Are Accurate and to Minimize the Risks?
Michael A. Pavlick
- Partner in the Pittsburgh office at K&L Gates LLP, and a member of the firm’s Labor, Employment and Workplace Safety Practice Group
- Advises employers nationwide on a wide variety of labor and employment compliance, regulatory, best practice and litigation issues, including wage and hour matters arising from the federal Fair Labor Standards Act and related state and local laws
- Counsels clients on concerns related to the classification of employees, including the exempt vs. nonexempt determination and compensation decisions
- Frequently speaks on wage and hour issues to a variety of audiences
- Regularly listed as a top labor and employment attorney in The Best Lawyers in America, including being named as Best Lawyers’ 2012 Lawyer of the Year in Litigation – Labor and Employment in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- Former judicial clerk for a U.S. Court of Appeals judge
Cannot Attend The Live Presentation?
This presentation is also available in a recorded format, in CD version, as shown in the pricing options below.
|About Webcasts / Audio Conferences / Podcasts:|
Webcasts, audio conferences, and podcasts are presentations that you
attend via the Internet, phone, or mobile device at a specified date and time for "live" versions, or at your convenience for "recorded" and "On-Demand" versions.
versions are interactive, meaning that participants can ask questions in real time, plus are a very cost-effective form of training because 1) you receive fast, convenient learning without
any out-of-office time; 2) you can invite as many colleagues as you'd like to listen in on a single phone line; 3) you incur no travel expenses; and 4) you and your colleagues are back
at work immediately after the session ends!
And though with recorded versions you do lose the ability to ask questions, you gain the ability to hear the presentation numerous
times and to share it with others in your office.
Handout materials and the phone number for live presentations are made available to you prior to the event via email from the
presenter and from the "MyAccount" link on the menu bar. Copies of the presentations are included with recorded versions.
|About The Provider:
||Lorman Education Services has provided educational seminars and online training for professionals since 1987.
Since then, we've kept thousands of professionals in the United States and internationally current on the most pressing topics in a rapidly changing marketplace of ideas. Like you, we understand the need for concise, accurate information.
That understanding underlies each Lorman course, presenting the latest information on the laws and regulations critical to your organization's successful daily operations.
Moreover, each course receives our painstaking attention to be certain both the faculty and participants receive the individual attention necessary to achieve maximum benefit from the materials.
||Contact Us For More Information
||Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Workplace Investigations 101: The Basics For Conducting Workplace Investigations
Employee Handbooks: 2017 Issues
How To Change The Perception Of The HR Department
How To Communicate Assertively To Exude Confidence And Competence
Year End Legislative &Tax Changes In Payroll
Payroll Records: What To Keep, What To Toss
PTO Plan Or Traditional Vacation And Sick Time? The Pros and Cons Of A Paid-Time-Off Plan
Motivate Or Terminate
Certificate Program For HR Generalists
Agile Basics For HR
Internal Investigations Certificate Program
Certificate Program In FMLA &ADA Compliance
The Essentials Of HR Law
FMLA Training &Certification Program
Certified Payroll Manager
Fundamentals Of Form W-2 &Form W-4 Processing