Document Retention And Destruction: What HR Professionals Must Know
|Date / Time:
Many employers lack a document management policy altogether, resulting in inconsistent document retention and destruction-a surefire path to litigation and spoliation claims-and little to no reliable protection for confidential information.
Another substantial number of employers rely on generic policies whose sources are unknown, are from a different industry, or rely on a different state's laws, just to cite a few of a myriad of problems with generic policies.
The enormity of creating a model policy unique to a specific employer creates a psychological barrier that hinders the development and implementation of a much needed document management policy.
This webinar will help you learn the legal requirements for document management policies and understand how to implement the practical considerations unique to their respective companies. Best practices will be emphasized, especially litigation avoidance and satisfying legal requirements. You should be able to begin implementing the principles learned from this course immediately.
Successful Policies and Schedules
Traps for the Unwary
- The Necessity of Document Management
- Maximum and Minimum Periods
- State and Federal Law
- Statutes of Limitations
- Legal Holds
- Practical Considerations
Identifying HR Records
- Internet Sources and Generic Policies
- Mishandling Drafts
- Duplicate Entries
- Backups and Software
- The Employee File
- Payroll Records
- Benefit Records
- Other Records Unique to HR
- Disciplinary Actions
- Investigation Materials
- Performance Evaluations
- Termination Documents
Storage and Destruction
- Personally Identifiable Information
- Other Privacy Issues
- Company Confidential Information and Trade Secrets
About The Presenter
- Safeguarding Records
- The Cloud
- Destroying Documents
Karen A. Monsen
- Attorney in the law firm of King & Sommer, PLLC
- Practice areas include employment law, commercial litigation, technology contracts, and intellectual property with an emphasis on electronic discovery, forensic investigations, cybersecurity, and document retention and destruction implementation
- Conducts frequent seminars and workshops on e-discovery, employment law and document retention, including for example, “Hiring and Terminating Employees,” Essentials of Employment Law, presenter; “Discovery,” Federal Court’s Committee’s Arc of a Case, presenter in 2014 and 2015; “Keep Calm and E-Discover On,” St. Mary’s Law Journal 14th Annual Symposium on Legal Practice and Ethics; “HR Recordingkeeping,” University of Texas at San Antonio Small Business Development Center; “Telecommuting Employees,” Alamo Chapter of the Association of Legal Administrators; “How Has the Supreme Court Changed Employment Practices?” Laredo Human Resources Management Association Meeting; “Document Retention and Destruction in Texas,” Lorman Education Services; “Employment Recordkeeping and Destruction Requirements,” Lorman Education Services
- Wrote articles related to the areas of employment law and major contributor to E-Discovery textbook Chapter 1 “Duty to Preserve”, 1st and 2nd Edition; “Duty to Preserve,” Chapter 1, 2nd Edition of Essentials of E-Discovery, published by the State Bar of Texas, anticipated 2017; “Duty to Preserve,” Chapter 1, 1st Edition of Essentials of E-Discovery, published by the State Bar of Texas, 2014; “Employment Law Issues When Buying and Selling A Business in Uncertain Times”
- Member of the Society for Human Resources; Association of Records, Managers & Administrators; American Bar Association’s William Sessions Inns of Court; and the Texas State Bar
- Graduate, University of Texas School of Law
Cannot Attend The Live Presentation?
This presentation is also available in a recorded format, in CD version, as shown in the pricing options below.
|About Webcasts / Audio Conferences / Podcasts:|
Webcasts, audio conferences, and podcasts are presentations that you
attend via the Internet, phone, or mobile device at a specified date and time for "live" versions, or at your convenience for "recorded" and "On-Demand" versions.
versions are interactive, meaning that participants can ask questions in real time, plus are a very cost-effective form of training because 1) you receive fast, convenient learning without
any out-of-office time; 2) you can invite as many colleagues as you'd like to listen in on a single phone line; 3) you incur no travel expenses; and 4) you and your colleagues are back
at work immediately after the session ends!
And though with recorded versions you do lose the ability to ask questions, you gain the ability to hear the presentation numerous
times and to share it with others in your office.
Handout materials and the phone number for live presentations are made available to you prior to the event via email from the
presenter and from the "MyAccount" link on the menu bar. Copies of the presentations are included with recorded versions.
|About The Provider:
||Lorman Education Services has provided educational seminars and online training for professionals since 1987.
Since then, we've kept thousands of professionals in the United States and internationally current on the most pressing topics in a rapidly changing marketplace of ideas. Like you, we understand the need for concise, accurate information.
That understanding underlies each Lorman course, presenting the latest information on the laws and regulations critical to your organization's successful daily operations.
Moreover, each course receives our painstaking attention to be certain both the faculty and participants receive the individual attention necessary to achieve maximum benefit from the materials.
||Contact Us For More Information
||Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
How To Communicate Assertively To Exude Confidence And Competence
Year End Legislative &Tax Changes In Payroll
Payroll Records: What To Keep, What To Toss
PTO Plan Or Traditional Vacation And Sick Time? The Pros and Cons Of A Paid-Time-Off Plan
Motivate Or Terminate
Workplace Investigations 101: The Basics For Conducting Workplace Investigations
Certificate Program For HR Generalists
Agile Basics For HR
Employee Handbooks: 2017 Issues
Internal Investigations Certificate Program
Certificate Program In FMLA &ADA Compliance
The Essentials Of HR Law
How To Change The Perception Of The HR Department
FMLA Training &Certification Program
Certified Payroll Manager
Fundamentals Of Form W-2 &Form W-4 Processing