Successful PTO Programs
|Date / Time:
Employers struggle to implement PTO policies that simultaneously address multiple concerns: attendance rates, company financials, administrative processes, employee health goals, and employee morale.
This webinar provides practical guidance to help you navigate your existing (and future) PTO policies while avoiding common legal pitfalls.
We will consider options for time-off for vacation, illness, bereavement, and other common reasons. Learn the latest about successful PTO policies amidst changing laws. Take control of your workplace.
You will come away understanding the characteristics of successful programs, strategies for designing your own, and tips for implementing the policy you choose.
Different Types of PTO Policies
- Paid Time off (PTO) – Addressing Absenteeism, Providing Flexibility, and Complying With the Law
Interplay of PTO Policies With Other Laws
- Separate Policies for Health and Illness; Vacation and Holidays; Personal Reasons
- Global Policy
Pros and Cons of Different Types of Policies
- Family and Medical Leave Law and Intermittent Leave
- Paid Sick Leave Laws
- Disability Laws – PTO and Reasonable Accommodation
- Wage and Hour Law and Salary Issues
- Compelling Exhaustion of PTO Benefits
- Discipline for Absenteeism
- Obligations From Former Policies
Designing a PTO Policy That Enhances Employee Morale and Reduces Absenteeism
- Controlling or Encouraging Absenteeism Through Policy
- Requiring PTO Use
- Pay out Issues
- Impact on Morale
About The Presenters
- Plan Design
- Implementation Issues
- Practical Tips
Chrys A. Martin
Christie S. Totten
- Partner at Davis Wright Tremaine LLP
- Focuses practice on employment law and employee benefits issues
- Offers clients 35 years of experience in complex employment and ERISA litigation, including class actions
- Applies her depth of knowledge learned from litigation to counseling employers and training supervisors in HR best practices; her practical approach to difficult employment issues is also grounded in prior hands-on management and human resources experience
- Conducts regular seminars, webinars, and workshops on numerous topics related to labor & employment law including “ban the box” laws, mandatory sick leave, marijuana legalization, timely employment law-related updates, and supervisor bootcamps
- Has wrote scores of publications related to labor & employment law including advisories, blogs and articles
- Named one of "America's Leading Lawyers for Business" in Employment by Chambers USA, 2005 to 2016 and one of the "Best Lawyers in America" in Labor and Employment Law by Best Lawyers since 2007
- Selected to "Oregon's Top 25 Women Super Lawyers," Thomson Reuters, 2008 to 2016
- Former chair of Employment Law Committee & member of Board of Directors (1997 to 2000); chair of Law Institute Committee (2006 to 2008), Defense Research Institute
- Former chair of the Civil Rights Section and Affirmative Action Committee, Oregon State Bar Association
- Past president of the Oregon Association of Defense Counsel
- J.D. degree, cum laude, Lewis & Clark Law School; B.A. degree, with honors, Oregon State University
- Senior Associate at Davis Wright Tremaine LLP
- Litigator who defends employers against claims of retaliation, discrimination, harassment, wrongful termination, and wage and hour violations, including whistleblower claims against executive-level defendants
- Has helped employers of all sizes obtain dismissals of BOLI and EEOC agency charges and lawsuits. She is experienced in briefing and arguing cases in Oregon’s trial and appellate courts, managing and streamlining complex discovery, taking and defending depositions, negotiating favorable settlements, and preparing cases for jury trial
- Frequently conducts seminars to help employers tackle emerging issues including mandatory sick leave, marijuana legalization, and privacy and technology issues in the modern workplace
- Also provides workplace training on harassment and other topics and writes articles addressing employment law and litigation
- Selected to "Oregon Rising Stars," Thomson Reuters, 2013 to 2016
- 2015 Strategic Management Conference Co-Moderator, Portland Human Resources Management Association (PHRMA)
- "Privacy & Technology Issues in Today’s Workplace," Supervisor Boot Camp - HR in the Age of TMI, DWT Client Seminar
- J.D. degree, summa cum laude, Lewis & Clark Law School; B.A. cum laude, University of Rochester, 2000
Cannot Attend The Live Presentation?
This presentation is also available in a recorded format, in CD version, as shown in the pricing options below.
|About Webcasts / Audio Conferences / Podcasts:|
Webcasts, audio conferences, and podcasts are presentations that you
attend via the Internet, phone, or mobile device at a specified date and time for "live" versions, or at your convenience for "recorded" and "On-Demand" versions.
versions are interactive, meaning that participants can ask questions in real time, plus are a very cost-effective form of training because 1) you receive fast, convenient learning without
any out-of-office time; 2) you can invite as many colleagues as you'd like to listen in on a single phone line; 3) you incur no travel expenses; and 4) you and your colleagues are back
at work immediately after the session ends!
And though with recorded versions you do lose the ability to ask questions, you gain the ability to hear the presentation numerous
times and to share it with others in your office.
Handout materials and the phone number for live presentations are made available to you prior to the event via email from the
presenter and from the "MyAccount" link on the menu bar. Copies of the presentations are included with recorded versions.
|About The Provider:
||Lorman Education Services has provided educational seminars and online training for professionals since 1987.
Since then, we've kept thousands of professionals in the United States and internationally current on the most pressing topics in a rapidly changing marketplace of ideas. Like you, we understand the need for concise, accurate information.
That understanding underlies each Lorman course, presenting the latest information on the laws and regulations critical to your organization's successful daily operations.
Moreover, each course receives our painstaking attention to be certain both the faculty and participants receive the individual attention necessary to achieve maximum benefit from the materials.
||Contact Us For More Information
||Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Certificate Program For HR Generalists
Garnishments, Child Support Orders, And Other Levies
How Workers′ Compensation Works (Comprehensive 11-Module Course)
Assertiveness Skills For HR Professionals
Certificate Program In FMLA &ADA Compliance
How To Use PTO To Reduce Absenteeism
Managing Emotions Under Pressure
Internal Investigations Certificate Program
How To Document Your Payroll Procedures
HRCI / SHRM 60 Hour Re-Certification Training Suite
Company Ethics: How To Set The Tone As A Leader
SOX Requirements For Payroll
Payroll Records: What To Keep, What To Toss
Strategic HR Leadership Certificate Program
Dealing with Difficult People
Bring Our Training Courses To Your Location