Final Paychecks: How To Avoid Legal Risk With Accurate Calculation And Distribution
|Date / Time:
Many employers do not appreciate the patchwork of local, state, and federal laws regulating the calculation and distribution of final wage payments to departing employees. Employers must recognize and comply with a whole host of regulations or risk extensive penalties and/or costly litigation.
This webinar will provide an overview of the legal issues and common pitfalls related to final employee wage payments. It also will include a practical discussion of manageable best practices and model policies for use in today's dynamic - and often multi-state - employment environment.
Timing of Final Wage Payments
Deductions From Final Wage Payments
- Impact of the Terms of Employee Separation (Termination vs. Resignation)
- State-Specific Requirements, Including Requirements for Same-Day or "Immediate" Payments
- Payment of Accrued but Unused Paid Time off
- Best Practices
State and Local Wage Theft Prevention Acts
- Permissible Deductions
- FLSA Prohibitions and Employee Remedies Under Federal Law, Including Administrative Actions and Claims for Liquidated Damages, Attorneys' Fees, and Costs
- California-Specific Requirements and Penalties for Noncompliance
- Best Practices
About The Presenter
- Increasing Trend of Wage Theft Prevention Acts
- Impact on the Calculation and Distribution of Final Wage Payments
- Notification Requirements and Penalties
- California and Other Jurisdictions (e.g., New York, Washington, D.C.)
- Attorney in Vedder Price’s Washington, D.C. office
- Practice emphasizes employer compliance with all types of employment-related issues, including wage and hour issues, FMLA compliance, Title VII discrimination issues, termination issues (including reductions in force), ADA compliance and discrimination issues, and various local, state, and federal employment laws
- Conducts quarterly interactive lectures on various workforce management issues, and regularly speaks at conferences regarding employer compliance issues and employment-related litigation trends
- Serves as treasurer for the Women’s Bar Association of the District of Columbia; served on numerous governance committees for the District of Columbia Bar, and was a member of the inaugural class of the John Payton Leadership Academy of the District of Columbia Bar; serves as the chair for the Board of Directors and General Counsel for Serve Your City, a D.C.-based children’s wellness and mentoring nonprofit organization, and serves as pro bono counsel for a number of nonprofit organizations, which focus on education, the environment and various social services; member of the American Bar Association’s Labor and Employment Section
Cannot Attend The Live Presentation?
This presentation is also available in a recorded format, in CD version, as shown in the pricing options below.
|About Webcasts / Audio Conferences / Podcasts:|
Webcasts, audio conferences, and podcasts are presentations that you
attend via the Internet, phone, or mobile device at a specified date and time for "live" versions, or at your convenience for "recorded" and "On-Demand" versions.
versions are interactive, meaning that participants can ask questions in real time, plus are a very cost-effective form of training because 1) you receive fast, convenient learning without
any out-of-office time; 2) you can invite as many colleagues as you'd like to listen in on a single phone line; 3) you incur no travel expenses; and 4) you and your colleagues are back
at work immediately after the session ends!
And though with recorded versions you do lose the ability to ask questions, you gain the ability to hear the presentation numerous
times and to share it with others in your office.
Handout materials and the phone number for live presentations are made available to you prior to the event via email from the
presenter and from the "MyAccount" link on the menu bar. Copies of the presentations are included with recorded versions.
|About The Provider:
||Lorman Education Services has provided educational seminars and online training for professionals since 1987.
Since then, we've kept thousands of professionals in the United States and internationally current on the most pressing topics in a rapidly changing marketplace of ideas. Like you, we understand the need for concise, accurate information.
That understanding underlies each Lorman course, presenting the latest information on the laws and regulations critical to your organization's successful daily operations.
Moreover, each course receives our painstaking attention to be certain both the faculty and participants receive the individual attention necessary to achieve maximum benefit from the materials.
||Contact Us For More Information
||Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
A Post-Election Survival Guide For Employers
Dress Code Policy Do′s and Don′ts
Internal Investigations Certificate Program
Garnishments, Child Support Orders, And Other Levies
Reasonable Or Unreasonable Accommodation? How To Identify Disabilities And Handle Employee Issues - Without Violating The ADA
Certificate Program In FMLA &ADA Compliance
Rules And Requirements For Employee Expense Reimbursements
Certificate Program For HR Generalists
How To Keep HR From Being The Employee Complaint Department
Assertiveness Skills For HR Professionals
HRCI / SHRM 60 Hour Re-Certification Training Suite
IRS Rules For Travel Pay
How To Deal With Employees Who Are Chronically Late Or Absent
Dealing with Difficult People
9 Ways To Spot, Handle, and Reduce Workers′ Comp Fraud