Curbing FMLA Abuse: How To Manage Manipulative Employees
|Date / Time:
About 62% of workers nationally qualify to take leave under the FMLA, and over 50 million employees have taken advantage of leave under the act.
Managing FMLA leave can be extremely challenging for employers, especially in the face of rampant employee abuse. However, there are tools available to employers seeking to minimize abuse of the protections provided by the FMLA.
While there is no magic cure to instantly constrain employee abuse, a clear understanding of the rules and regulations established by the federal leave statute, together with proper application of the limited controls and mechanisms for monitoring employee leave can help.
Proactively Managing the FMLA Process to Prevent Abuse in the First Place
Addressing the Performance Issues of Employees When FMLA Is Part of the Equation
- Certification and Designation Tactics
- Policies to Minimize Leave Abuse
- Transitioning Employees Who Need Leave Beyond FMLA
Tackling Leave Abuse
- Managing Job Performance
- Terminations, Layoffs and Other Employment Actions
About The Presenters
- Internal Surveillance of Employee Leave Use
- Hiring Outside Help
Eric D. Chapman
James K. Cowan, Jr.
- Attorney with CowanPerry PC
- Practice focuses in the areas of business litigation, employment law, and corporate transactions
- Represents clients in Virginia and North Carolina where he is actively licensed to practice
- Experienced in evaluating and analyzing employment law claims, including E.E.O.C., ADA, Title VII, and ADEA
- Member of the Virginia State Bar; North Carolina State Bar. He is also an associate member and secretary of the Ted Dalton American Inns of Court; a community advisor for the Community Foundation of the New River Valley; and served as a co-chair of the New River Valley Chapter of Mental Health America from 2014 to 2015
- Was appointed as the 27th Circuit Representative for the Virginia State Bar Association’s Young Lawyers Conference from 2014 to 2015
- J.D. degree, magna cum laude, Washington & Lee University School of Law
Brian S. Wheeler
- Chairman and founder of CowanPerry PC in Blacksburg and Roanoke, Virginia
- Practice focuses on labor and employment counsel, complex business litigation, land use issues, and commercial real estate projects. He also serves as general outside counsel to numerous businesses
- Represents a number of employers in the mid-Atlantic region, ranging from high-tech start-ups to large manufacturers
- More than twenty years litigation experience in federal and state courts across Virginia defending wrongful discharge claims, claims for relief under the Family Medical Leave Act and Fair Labor Standards Act, disability discrimination claims under the Americans with Disabilities Act, age discrimination claims under the Age Discrimination in Employment Act, and claims of sexual harassment, and race and gender discrimination under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964
- Focuses on assisting clients with compliance obligations under the FLSA, FMLA, ADA, ADEA, Title VII, and Executive Order 11246 compliance, including preparation of affirmative action plans and responding to OFCCP audits
- Frequent speaker and corporate trainer for companies on sexual harassment, employment discrimination, FMLA and ADA compliance, the Fair Labor Standards Act, diversity and affirmative action, conducting workplace investigations, hiring and firing, and union free management
- Member of the Virginia State Bar; the Virginia Bar Association, Labor Relations and Employment Law Section; board member for the New River Valley Society for Human Resource Management; and currently serves as general counsel to the New River Valley Economic Development Alliance
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America®, Labor and Employment Law; selected as a Virginia Super Lawyer in Employment and Labor
- Attorney with CowanPerry PC
- Practice focuses on complex commercial litigation including employment, construction, and energy matters. He also provides outside general counsel services
- Represents a number of mid-size to Fortune 500 employers in Virginia, West Virginia and Tennessee where he is actively licensed to practice
- 15 years in federal and state courts across Virginia, Tennessee and West Virginia defending breach of contract claims, product liability claims, wrongful discharge claims, age discrimination claims under the Age Discrimination in Employment Act, claims for relief under the Family Medical Leave Act and Fair Labor Standards Act, and claims of sexual harassment, and race and gender discrimination under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964
- Member of the Virginia Bar Association; and member of the New River Valley Society for Human Resource Management
- Listed as a Virginia Super Lawyer Rising Star in Commercial Litigation, 2010
Cannot Attend The Live Presentation?
This presentation is also available in a recorded format, in CD version, as shown in the pricing options below.
|About Webcasts / Audio Conferences / Podcasts:|
Webcasts, audio conferences, and podcasts are presentations that you
attend via the Internet, phone, or mobile device at a specified date and time for "live" versions, or at your convenience for "recorded" and "On-Demand" versions.
versions are interactive, meaning that participants can ask questions in real time, plus are a very cost-effective form of training because 1) you receive fast, convenient learning without
any out-of-office time; 2) you can invite as many colleagues as you'd like to listen in on a single phone line; 3) you incur no travel expenses; and 4) you and your colleagues are back
at work immediately after the session ends!
And though with recorded versions you do lose the ability to ask questions, you gain the ability to hear the presentation numerous
times and to share it with others in your office.
Handout materials and the phone number for live presentations are made available to you prior to the event via email from the
presenter and from the "MyAccount" link on the menu bar. Copies of the presentations are included with recorded versions.
|About The Provider:
||Lorman Education Services has provided educational seminars and online training for professionals since 1987.
Since then, we've kept thousands of professionals in the United States and internationally current on the most pressing topics in a rapidly changing marketplace of ideas. Like you, we understand the need for concise, accurate information.
That understanding underlies each Lorman course, presenting the latest information on the laws and regulations critical to your organization's successful daily operations.
Moreover, each course receives our painstaking attention to be certain both the faculty and participants receive the individual attention necessary to achieve maximum benefit from the materials.
||Contact Us For More Information
||Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Serious Complaint or Employee Drama?
How To Stop Toxic Employees From Side-Tracking Your Company
Guidelines For Taxing Gifts, Awards, &Other Fringe Benefits
How To Supervise Employees Who Don′t Get Along
Certificate Program For HR Generalists
Workers′ Comp 101: The Whats, Whens, And Whys
Agile Basics For HR
Motivate Or Terminate
Internal Investigations Certificate Program
Advanced Internal Investigations Certificate Program
Payroll Records: What To Keep, What To Toss
How To Coach Up Or Counsel Out Problem Employees
Certificate Program In FMLA &ADA Compliance
Strategic HR Leadership Certificate Program
Certificate In Essentials Of Human Resource Management Seminar
Certificate In Employee Relations Law Seminar