Dealing With Employees Who Have Been Charged With A Crime
|Date / Time:
One of the most perplexing problems that can confront an employer arises after the employer discovers that one of its employees has been arrested and charged with a crime.
Under our legal system, the familiar mantra is that an arrested person is innocent until proven guilty. So, what can you do to address situations where an employee has been arrested, or has been charged, or incarcerated for a crime but has not yet been convicted?
For example, can an employer fire such an employee before any charges have been the subject of a formal trial? Alternatively, can the employee be suspended for such an offense and if so, is it justifiable to do so with or without pay?
Because more and more employers are finding themselves faced with this dilemma, this webinar will include a discussion on the legal limits on what you can do when faced with this problem and will also provide useful guidelines on how best to craft workplace policies and procedures to best prepare yourself to address such situations.
About The Presenter
- Drafting Policies and Procedures to Address Situations Where Information Is Gained About an Employee's Arrest
- Steps Employers Should Take Before Implementing Any Discipline Against an Employee Who Is Charged With a Crime
- Available Disciplinary Measures and Any Applicable Legal Limits on Implementing Such Discipline
- Practical Considerations for Evaluating Such Situations and Assessing the Potential Damage to Your Business From Allowing an Arrested or Charged Employee to Return to Work
- Legal Difference Between a Felony and Misdemeanor, and the Impact This Difference Should Have in Assessing Potential Discipline Against an Arrested or Charged Party
- Potential for Legal Action Arising From Actions Taken by an Employer Against an Arrested Employee Who Has yet to Be Convicted of a Crime
Ralph R. Smith, 3rd, Esq.
- Shareholder and vice chairman of the Labor and Employment Department of the law firm of Capehart & Scatchard, P.A.
- Concentrates practice in the areas of labor and employment law, and complex commercial litigation
- Represents companies in all kinds of labor and employment-related litigation in the federal and state courts of New Jersey and Pennsylvania
- Regularly counsels clients on issues of compliance with both federal and state employment laws, including those that impact the area of employee background checks and dealing with arrested employees
- Lectures widely and writes frequently in the field of labor and employment law
- Has lectured at many Lorman Education Services seminars
- Served as an adjunct professor at The Widener University Graduate School of Business, teaching labor and employment law
- Member of the New Jersey Federal Bar Association; the New Jersey State Bar Association; the Historical Society of the U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey; and the Camden County Bar Association, Labor and Employment Committee
- Former barrister instructor for the Camden County Inns of Court; former board member and legislative chair of the Society of Human Resource Management, Philadelphia Chapter; and a qualified mediator for the New Jersey Superior Court
- J.D. degree, cum laude, Temple University School of Law; B.A. degree, magna cum laude, Temple University
Cannot Attend The Live Presentation?
This presentation is also available in a recorded format, in CD version, as shown in the pricing options below.
|About Webcasts / Audio Conferences / Podcasts:|
Webcasts, audio conferences, and podcasts are presentations that you
attend via the Internet, phone, or mobile device at a specified date and time for "live" versions, or at your convenience for "recorded" and "On-Demand" versions.
versions are interactive, meaning that participants can ask questions in real time, plus are a very cost-effective form of training because 1) you receive fast, convenient learning without
any out-of-office time; 2) you can invite as many colleagues as you'd like to listen in on a single phone line; 3) you incur no travel expenses; and 4) you and your colleagues are back
at work immediately after the session ends!
And though with recorded versions you do lose the ability to ask questions, you gain the ability to hear the presentation numerous
times and to share it with others in your office.
Handout materials and the phone number for live presentations are made available to you prior to the event via email from the
presenter and from the "MyAccount" link on the menu bar. Copies of the presentations are included with recorded versions.
|About The Provider:
||Lorman Education Services has provided educational seminars and online training for professionals since 1987.
Since then, we've kept thousands of professionals in the United States and internationally current on the most pressing topics in a rapidly changing marketplace of ideas. Like you, we understand the need for concise, accurate information.
That understanding underlies each Lorman course, presenting the latest information on the laws and regulations critical to your organization's successful daily operations.
Moreover, each course receives our painstaking attention to be certain both the faculty and participants receive the individual attention necessary to achieve maximum benefit from the materials.
||Contact Us For More Information
||Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
How To Communicate Assertively To Exude Confidence And Competence
Year End Legislative &Tax Changes In Payroll
Payroll Records: What To Keep, What To Toss
PTO Plan Or Traditional Vacation And Sick Time? The Pros and Cons Of A Paid-Time-Off Plan
Motivate Or Terminate
Workplace Investigations 101: The Basics For Conducting Workplace Investigations
Certificate Program For HR Generalists
Agile Basics For HR
Employee Handbooks: 2017 Issues
Internal Investigations Certificate Program
Certificate Program In FMLA &ADA Compliance
The Essentials Of HR Law
How To Change The Perception Of The HR Department
FMLA Training &Certification Program
Certified Payroll Manager
Fundamentals Of Form W-2 &Form W-4 Processing