Opportunities And Challenges Of The Unlimited Vacation Policy
|Date / Time:
We will explore the legal and practical advantages and pitfalls of no-accrual time off policies, including how to assess whether a no-accrual or unlimited time off policy is right for the particular organization.
Takeaways will include: (1) what the law does - and, importantly, what it does not - say about no-accrual time off policies; (2) key components of a no-accrual time off policy, including coordination with leave benefits; (3) how to handle the transition from accrual policies to no-accrual policies; (4) the importance of messaging and optics; and (5) how to avoid and reign in abuse of no-accrual policies.
Pros and Cons of Unlimited Time offBasic Design/Construct of the No-Accrual Policy
- General Background Regarding Origin of Unlimited Time off
- Netflix and Other Tech Companies Blaze the Unlimited Time off Trail
- Legal Background Regarding No Obligation to Provide Paid Vacation in Most States
- More Recent State and Local Obligations Regarding Paid Sick Time
- Very Little Legal Guidance on No-Accrual Policies
Dealing With Historical Accrual Policies
- Applies to Vacation, Sick, or Both
- Applies to Exempt Employees Only or Non-Exempt Employees as Well
Interplay With Paid Sick Time and Leaves
- Options for Dealing With Existing Accruals
- Handling Employee Morale
- Sick Time and Leave Obligations
- Importance of Policy Addressing Such Obligations
About The Presenters
- Practical Do's and Don'ts
- Managing Abuse of Policy by Employees
- Key Guiding Principles
- Messaging to Employees
Sheeva J. Ghassemi-Vanni, Esq.
Daniel J. McCoy
- Senior associate, Employment Practices Group at Fenwick & West LLP
- Advises employers on all stages of employment, including hiring, progressive discipline, and termination; reductions in force, leaves of absence, disability accommodation, wage and hour issues, worker classification, noncompetition and nonsolicitation covenants, social media, and compliance with state and federal employment laws
- Represents employers in litigation regarding discrimination, sexual harassment, wrongful termination, retaliation, wage and hour disputes, and trade secrets
- Advises companies regarding labor and employment issues arising in mergers and acquisitions
- Regularly provides management and employee training on harassment prevention, recruiting and hiring, performance management, and termination
- J.D. degree, Santa Clara University School of Law; B.A. degree, summa cum laude, San Jose State University
- Co-chair of the Employment Practices Group at Fenwick & West LLP and partner with twenty years of employment law experience
- Northern California Super Lawyer for four straight years
- Profiled in the Daily Journal's Top Labor and Employment Lawyers List, a list of 75 leading labor and employment lawyers in California
- Quoted on developments in employment law in numerous print and online publications, including Forbes, BusinessWeek, The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal and TechCrunch
- Wrote "Unlimited Vacation" Policies Gaining Traction, published in Bloomberg Law Reports, June 30, 2011, and has written and spoken extensively on the subject
Cannot Attend The Live Presentation?
This presentation is also available in a recorded format, in CD version, as shown in the pricing options below.
|About Webcasts / Audio Conferences / Podcasts:|
Webcasts, audio conferences, and podcasts are presentations that you
attend via the Internet, phone, or mobile device at a specified date and time for "live" versions, or at your convenience for "recorded" and "On-Demand" versions.
versions are interactive, meaning that participants can ask questions in real time, plus are a very cost-effective form of training because 1) you receive fast, convenient learning without
any out-of-office time; 2) you can invite as many colleagues as you'd like to listen in on a single phone line; 3) you incur no travel expenses; and 4) you and your colleagues are back
at work immediately after the session ends!
And though with recorded versions you do lose the ability to ask questions, you gain the ability to hear the presentation numerous
times and to share it with others in your office.
Handout materials and the phone number for live presentations are made available to you prior to the event via email from the
presenter and from the "MyAccount" link on the menu bar. Copies of the presentations are included with recorded versions.
|About The Provider:
||Lorman Education Services has provided educational seminars and online training for professionals since 1987.
Since then, we've kept thousands of professionals in the United States and internationally current on the most pressing topics in a rapidly changing marketplace of ideas. Like you, we understand the need for concise, accurate information.
That understanding underlies each Lorman course, presenting the latest information on the laws and regulations critical to your organization's successful daily operations.
Moreover, each course receives our painstaking attention to be certain both the faculty and participants receive the individual attention necessary to achieve maximum benefit from the materials.
||Contact Us For More Information
||Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Serious Complaint or Employee Drama?
How To Stop Toxic Employees From Side-Tracking Your Company
Guidelines For Taxing Gifts, Awards, &Other Fringe Benefits
How To Supervise Employees Who Don′t Get Along
Certificate Program For HR Generalists
Workers′ Comp 101: The Whats, Whens, And Whys
Agile Basics For HR
Motivate Or Terminate
Internal Investigations Certificate Program
Advanced Internal Investigations Certificate Program
Payroll Records: What To Keep, What To Toss
How To Coach Up Or Counsel Out Problem Employees
Certificate Program In FMLA &ADA Compliance
Strategic HR Leadership Certificate Program
Certificate In Essentials Of Human Resource Management Seminar
Certificate In Employee Relations Law Seminar