Smart I-9 Recordkeeping: How To Complete, Retain And Re-Verify Using The New Form I-9
|Date / Time:
The new Form I-9 has finally been released!
After January 21, 2017, previous I-9 versions will no longer be valid, and you will be required to use the new version—coined the “smart I-9.”
How does this brand-new “smart” I-9 different from the old version you’ve been using? And how can you ensure accurate completion, retention, re-verification, and correction (as necessary) using the new Form I-9?
Join us for a comprehensive webinar and Q&A led by Attorney Jacob Monty, founding and managing partner of Monty & Ramirez, who will answer these questions and more.
About Your Presenter:
- What’s changed on the new Form I-9, and what’s staying the same
- The new Form I-9’s error-checking features
- Best practices for ensuring compliant I-9 recordkeeping when using the editable PDF Form I-9
- Answers to common but tricky Form I-9 questions such as:
- If the SSN entered into E-Verify is incorrect, what steps should you take?
- If an employee moves out of state and his/her driver’s license says it’s not valid for federal ID purposes, can you accept the license as a List B document?
- Can you accept a temporary green card? What if it’s about to expire?
What do you do when a proffered document just looks kind of “off” to you?
- Best practices for filling out the I-9 and legally acceptable ways to verify worker documentation—including answers to questions such as whether it’s acceptable to look at remote hires’ documents via Skype or FaceTime
- Form I-9 re-verification requirements for non-U.S. citizens and non-permanent residents
- How to complete I-9s for new employees using automatically extended employment authorization documents (EADs)
- Best practices for copying and storing I-9s from supporting documentation to paper I-9s and electronic records
- When it’s safe to destroy old I-9s
- Recordkeeping errors that attract ICE scrutiny and hefty fines
- The checklist to review to avoid hiring or employing anyone not authorized to work in the United States
Jacob M. Monty
Monty & Ramirez LLP
Jacob Monty’s distinguished career involves the representation of employers in litigation matters in Texas and California, and includes expertise in handling labor issues in Hispanic workforces. He is Board Certified in Labor and Employment by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization and represents employers in federal and state courts in civil cases and in investigations and audits. He has broad industry experience in industries ranging from restaurant to manufacturing, food and entertainment, education systems, and government entities. Monty, a member of the Employers Counsel Network, is an editor for the Texas Employment Law Letter.
|About Webcasts / Audio Conferences / Podcasts:|
Webcasts, audio conferences, and podcasts are presentations that you
attend via the Internet, phone, or mobile device at a specified date and time for "live" versions, or at your convenience for "recorded" and "On-Demand" versions.
versions are interactive, meaning that participants can ask questions in real time, plus are a very cost-effective form of training because 1) you receive fast, convenient learning without
any out-of-office time; 2) you can invite as many colleagues as you'd like to listen in on a single phone line; 3) you incur no travel expenses; and 4) you and your colleagues are back
at work immediately after the session ends!
And though with recorded versions you do lose the ability to ask questions, you gain the ability to hear the presentation numerous
times and to share it with others in your office.
Handout materials and the phone number for live presentations are made available to you prior to the event via email from the
presenter and from the "MyAccount" link on the menu bar. Copies of the presentations are included with recorded versions.
|Licenses / Designations / Educational Credits:||PHR/SPHR Re-Certification|
All US States: 1.5
|About The Provider:
||BLR® is the leader in helping organizations, and their employees, reduce safety, environmental and employment compliance-related legal exposure, stay on the right side of law, and achieve their full potential. We offer best-in-class compliance product and services that includes news, information & analysis, best practice guidance, employee training and turn-key tools delivered in a wide range of formats from online applications, live events and websites to books, CD's, Video, Posters and newsletters geared to all sized organizations and industries.
||Contact Us For More Information
||Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
|Keywords For This Course:|
SMART I-9 recordkeeping, I-9 form completion, I-9 retention, I-9 correction, employment verification
Certificate Program For HR Generalists
Rules And Requirements For Employee Expense Reimbursements
Garnishments, Child Support Orders, And Other Levies
How Workers′ Compensation Works (Comprehensive 11-Module Course)
Assertiveness Skills For HR Professionals
Certificate Program In FMLA &ADA Compliance
How To Use PTO To Reduce Absenteeism
Managing Emotions Under Pressure
HRCI / SHRM 60 Hour Re-Certification Training Suite
Internal Investigations Certificate Program
How To Document Your Payroll Procedures
Reasonable Or Unreasonable Accommodation? How To Identify Disabilities And Handle Employee Issues - Without Violating The ADA
Company Ethics: How To Set The Tone As A Leader
SOX Requirements For Payroll
Payroll Records: What To Keep, What To Toss
Strategic HR Leadership Certificate Program